Software keeps crashing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

myriad

Software keeps crashing

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 3:12 pm

Hello!
I've been using resolve for years now and never had any issues, but lately -since I changed my GPU I think- I've had Resolve (not studio) freezing on me when I was saving any project. After a while, I did do a clean install of the soft, and two days ago it got worst, resolve was slowing down (but no white screen) when I wanted to add an IN or OUT in the timeline.
I also bought the studio version with the speed editor and installed it today, but no luck.

I will upgrade to 32 Gb of RAM if I need to, but it was working fine before...

Here is my system info :
  • Ryzen 7 2700X
  • 16Go RAM @2133MHz
  • RTX 3070Ti 8Go VRAM
  • B450 Steel Legends from ASRock

The source material is on a 7200RPM HDD and the project and software are on an SSD. I plan on buying an SSD for the files, but this project alone is 500+GB :? Maybe a separate drive for proxies and/or optimized files?

And the log kept saying :
[0x00000edc] | UI | WARN | 2022-01-25 15:52:27,396 | Failed to find value '14' in combo-box
[0x00000edc] | UI | WARN | 2022-01-25 15:52:27,405 | Failed to find value '268' in combo-box
[0x00000edc] | UI | WARN | 2022-01-25 15:52:27,406 | Failed to find value '136' in combo-box
[0x00000edc] | UI | WARN | 2022-01-25 15:52:27,409 | Failed to find value '0' in combo-box

Do I have any luck on fixing the issue w/out buying an upgrade?... Even with a huge reduction, 350€ for the pack was a big investment for me right now :cry:
Lou Bariller, founder of Myriad

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Software keeps crashing

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 7:55 pm

As soon as you restart after a crash, start a new Resolve project. This is just to allow you to access the Resolve Help menu. In the Resolve Help menu, select: Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop. That will create a .zip file with the Resolve logs.

In the Project Manager page, right click the project that had the crash, and select Export Project. That will create a .drp file.

Then open the Windows System Information app, and select File - Save to generate a .NFO file.

Put all the files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files.

If you are a new user, the system may not let you post a URL. If that happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

myriad

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 9:05 pm

Hello!
Thanks for the quick response!

it's not crashes, it's "just" long freezes each time I save or add an IN point... But I did what you told and there is everything in this driver: htt ps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15Q ... sp=sharing

I really hope we will find a way out!

Thanks again.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 4:30 am

I'm not seeing that. All the saves are happening in under 300 ms.

And I don't really see anything else in the logs to explain what you describe.

If you copy the project to the Local Database, does it behave any differently loaded from there?

You can copy the project by open the Project Manager page, with the Database area exposed.

Select the project in the ssd database, then press Ctrl-c.

Now select the Local Database, and put the cursor in the projects area, and press Ctrl-v.

That will copy the project into the Local Database. Then load the project from there.
Dwaine Maggart

myriad

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 8:47 am

That's odd...

The project was from the local DB, but I copied it to my SSD in order to see if it did any difference... As you can see it did not. I'll try again.

I filmed an example of what is happening: https://you tu.be/5L4SKs-uB-E
As you can see, it is impossible to work in those conditions...

State of my machine during this extract :
  • CPU Max @ 10%
  • GPU Max @ 8%
  • RAM Usage @ 11%
  • Spikes on the drive up to 50Mbs

I'll try a clean install of both Windows and Resolve (since Resolve only didn't do the trick) on a separate SSD and see what will happen... I'll let you know!

myriad

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 11:03 am

Ok, news from me...
I did do a clean install of windows (no other programs than Resolve), only the drivers.
Not luck on that.

On the clean widows :
I tried version 17.4.3, 4.2, 4.1 and 4 with no luck.
I also tried multiple GPU drivers, even the stock one, with no changes.
I ran Resolve in admin mode, no change.
Windows compatibility checker changed nothing either.

And I can assure you that this is not comming from the project, REsolve is beaving the same with any other one...

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 5:55 pm

Please send a new Resolve log and NFO file from the current state of the computer.

I see you have some USB audio devices connected. USB devices have been known to cause issues in the past, so as a sanity check, remove ALL USB peripheral devices except a standard wired mouse and keyboard. That also includes USB Bluetooth dongles, USB headphone dongles, USB HDMI video capture dongles, USB headset/mic dongles, USB web cams, USB audio I/O boxes, etc, etc. Just have a wired keyboard and mouse connected.

If that has an effect on the issue, reconnect the devices one at a time to find the offending device.
Dwaine Maggart

myriad

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 7:53 pm

I wiped my new windows OS, seeing that it didn't change the issue, and did not create any NFO or logs...

Unplugging all devices, rebooting, and trying again did nothing...

I tried a fresh build on Ubuntu that did give me a great piece of intel :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ia7hl_bIeweanmbKMP8GEJ765WR9QAIi/view
This monitor screenshot is from an IN point that was created, and my software froze during the plateau at 100% on my CPU2 core.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KMpdPuo-hJJpHkpZALYq5k4yXyVCtA1m/view?usp=sharing
This was from a CTRL+S, same behavior, but freezing from the start of the spike until the drop.

And we can see in this screenshot that resolve was starting up on "only" two cores at a time.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EWo2dyMXc-mFreIpt3k64uD9DNS_PJb2/view?usp=sharing

I still don't know what is the problem, but there is a problem that I'm not able to patch.

For now, 17.1.1 is my best bet, it "only" freezes when I save, but not during backups, so I'm doing a 10min backup and deactivated CTRL+S, as I had the "bad" habit of hitting it constantly.
I'll roll with it, but kinda disappointed, running it with my job on lower specked machines than mine I hopped to purchase it for my own use and I now feel like I've thrown money out (if not for the speed deck that comes with it).

Return to DaVinci Resolve