Studio 17.4.3 build 10 forgets activation!!!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

kfriis

Studio 17.4.3 build 10 forgets activation!!!

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 10:30 pm

I have worked on several projects over time on this machine. Obviously activated.
Today I started modifying a project (trying to work around the problem of inserting a video, crashing the associated audio into an existing audio track).
I succeeded, somewhat, but not completely.
Did general add work, selecting noise reduction, modified details etc. Refining this, that and the other setting. Checked results, and then exited DaVinci Resolve Studio to do some other work on my M1, 16G, 1TB, 10GBit, (Monterey 12.1).
Did some other work. View a bit Youtube.
Decided to check a minor point in the recent edit.
Started DaVinci Resolve Studio.
Eeehhh....?
I was asked to enter my licensing code. Why?
Tried exiting.
DaVinci crashed. Report sent.
Starting DaVinci again.
Nothing changed since last use, maybe an hour or so ago.
Entered license code.
License code accepted.
Now the intersting thing. Do I still have one free license code for use on one of my other machines?
Testing. Just testing... waiting for boot... let's see...
OK. It asks for a license code.
Let's forget that this time around.
Only one question?

Why does DaVinci Resolve Studio forget it has been activated?

Within a very short time!

Regards

FredStork

Re: Studio 17.4.3 build 10 forgets activation!!!

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 8:27 am

No, don’t worry, it is normal that you get requested to enter the code from time to time. Maybe 2 times per year but I don't really keep track. What triggers this is not clear, can be just a random thing, at least I have not seen a system in it… And no, this does not consume your licences. You can have 2 concurrent instances and if you activate a third the first activated will be deactivated etc.

kfriis

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 10:29 am

FredStork wrote:No, don’t worry, it is normal that you get requested to enter the code from time to time. Maybe 2 times per year but I don't really keep track. What triggers this is not clear, can be just a random thing, at least I have not seen a system in it… And no, this does not consume your licences. You can have 2 concurrent instances and if you activate a third the first activated will be deactivated etc.

I know, I can have two activations, and how the system works, that's not the problem. It's the general flakiness.

It’s absolutely unacceptable for a paid product, like the Studio version. None of my other program activations behave like this. They may require, that you at least connect to the Internet once a month, but that’s it. Most do not even require that. That Studio just - willy nilly - decides, that it is not activated, is plain unacceptable for a professional product. It's a code quality problem, if anything!

IF you’re in a studio in a weekend, without access to the safe (or the guy with that access) to lay your hand on a legal license code, what do you do, when you have a deadline monday morning? Should all workplaces have the license code glued to the monitor, just in case it may be needed (as a DaVinci only requirement)? The codes will soon meander to the “discrete distribution channels” of the net.

If you are at a customer, starting DaVinci to display your latest masterpiece, or traveling - reporter, journalist, whatever - I guess you’ll have to involuntarily spread the license code to everybody looking, when it is glued to the notebook chassis, so that it cannot disappear into some hideout, you don’t remember after a week or two (or that just happened to be in the other shoulder bag, you left at home).

This will not do. Unacceptable. Completely amateurish!

It’s just like the much touted portability, that really isn’t…

Try importing a project with - just as an example - VST plugins from an Intel based Mac. A project, that uses the wonderfully flexible Røde SoundField plugin, that you need to open on an M1 based computer, that has the plugin installed, and working on the same machine, when using Reaper (native M1 version):

Skærmbillede 2022-01-26 kl. 10.07.32.jpg
Reaper use of Røde Plugin
Skærmbillede 2022-01-26 kl. 10.07.32.jpg (571.09 KiB) Viewed 1722 times

What happens in DaVinci Resolve 17.4.3 build 10, when the imported project needs to use that plugin?

During startup, this is what the log says:

Code: Select all
2022-01-25 23:38:33.238 VstScanner[7266:201845] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/SoundField By RODE.vst/Contents/MacOS/SoundField By RODE:  dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/SoundField By RODE.vst/Contents/MacOS/SoundField By RODE, 0x0106): tried: '/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/SoundField By RODE.vst/Contents/MacOS/SoundField By RODE' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have 'x86_64', need 'arm64e')), '/usr/lib/SoundField By RODE' (no such file)
2022-01-25 23:38:33.238 VstScanner[7266:201845] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/SoundField By RODE.vst/Contents/MacOS/SoundField By RODE:  dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/SoundField By RODE.vst/Contents/MacOS/SoundField By RODE, 0x0106): tried: '/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/SoundField By RODE.vst/Contents/MacOS/SoundField By RODE' (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have 'x86_64', need 'arm64e')), '/usr/lib/SoundField By RODE' (no such file)

Only two of the 150 plus similar log entries in DaVinci, for a lot of plugins, that Reaper uses as usual without any complaints on the same machine. These two entries show the "SoundField By RODE" plugin, that reaper uses without hiccups (see previous image).

Now, the Røde plugin is available for selection in the group “Surround”, so you are forgiven, if you attempt to insert it on a track in Fairlight, you get this:

Skærmbillede 2022-01-26 kl. 10.32.49.png
Attempting to select the offered Røde Plugin
Skærmbillede 2022-01-26 kl. 10.32.49.png (100.94 KiB) Viewed 1722 times

Same result, if you try to open the “Røde” plugin already present in a track in an imported project.

In fact it is quite surprising, how many log entries contain the term “Failde to find” and similar wordings. Is there anything not failing in the current version of DaVinci?

Here’s an indication (for inspiration? or rejection? long overdue in Studio ;-) on how Reaper seemingly solves the problem:

Skærmbillede 2022-01-26 kl. 10.08.36.jpg
A possible inspiration to solve the plugin debacle on M1?
Skærmbillede 2022-01-26 kl. 10.08.36.jpg (474.85 KiB) Viewed 1722 times

Note, that Reaper is also a native Apple Silicon application. Note that little “reaper_host”? This particular approach may not be suited for DaVinci Resolve Studio, but maybe, just maybe, a more flexible approach, than the current, was worth some effort on the DaVinci side of things.

What if, just what if, Blackmagic started (1) cleaning up their code (2) starting work on plugin compatibility (3) allocated resources to heighten stability and consistency of their Studio version - on all supported platforms?

Just a “what-if”?

Regards and a whicked smile.

SkierEvans

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 1:29 pm

I have never been asked to re enter my code since I bought Studio in 2015. That includes updating. Just uninstall the old version and install the newer update. That includes updating Windows from Win7 to Win 10 on one of my PC's. You get a lot for $299 with no yearly upgrades to pay for. Windows editors cost about 3 times as much AND have almost yearly upgrade costs close to the full cost of Studio.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

kfriis

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 1:42 pm

SkierEvans wrote:I have never been asked to re enter my code since I bought Studio in 2015. That includes updating. Just uninstall the old version and install the newer update. That includes updating Windows from Win7 to Win 10 on one of my PC's. You get a lot for $299 with no yearly upgrades to pay for. Windows editors cost about 3 times as much AND have almost yearly upgrade costs close to the full cost of Studio.

That’s not my problem.

My problem is, that the version 17.4.3 build 10 I have used for weeks without problem on this Machine, suddenly decides, that I have no activation. Less than an hour since last use of the same project on the same machine.

That is inacceptable! I can’t use a program, I can’t use ;-)

Neither a program, that cannot even be relied upon to start (and then crashing abysmally, when I try to exit without entering an authorization code).

Would you hire anyone using and accepting a tool with that kind of “personality”?

Regards

SkierEvans

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 2:30 pm

I was just telling you my experience is very different.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

GalinMcMahon

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 4:52 pm

Your issue is an anomaly that is likely caused by registry issues on your personal machine. I've never had this happen. This is NOT an issue with the software. So let's lose the bold, colored yelling.

1. Reinstall the software. Of course back your database up first. This is the most simple possible solution but....
2. If that doesn't fix the problem, your registry issues persist and would require an OS reinstall.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 5:21 pm

Kurt

If you see your activation being challenged more than once in a few months and you don't use more than two machines with the same license, please contact support with diagnostic logs and your serial number (on the sleeve of your activation card). If you obtained the Studio license as part of a BMD hardware purchase, please offer that serial# to the support team.

Please also provide (or include in your signature) details on your hardware and system.

Regards
Shrinivas

kfriis

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 6:17 pm

SkierEvans wrote:I was just telling you my experience is very different.

Yes, sorry. It’s not you, I’m mad at. I’m mad at myself for letting DaVinci into my life.

Regards

kfriis

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 8:01 pm

I decided to save some time.

A relatively “clean” reinstall includes uninstall, reboot, install.

Now, if I release the activation (now two remaining) and just perform the uninstall (the one DaVinci program, that always works ;-), I can save the reboot, the reinstall action, and a lot of aggravation due to the somewhat lacking support of the M1 platform. In my view.

I also uninstalled my Windows 10 version. Mostly, it was only used to test, if a problem was universal or only existed on Apple platforms. The version was initially expected to become my go-to travel installation. Since that turned out to be less than ideal, the current installation was no longer activated. Just a few “Windows removals”, and DaVinci was no longer.

I also uninstalled my Mac Big Sur Intel 17.4.3 build 10 version. It was deactivated lately, since it was mostly only used to establish compatibility deviations between the Mac Intel and M1 platforms. They were plenty, so I had also given up on keeping track. Only the wonderfully reliable DaVinci uninstall was required.

It was an unusually long test phase, completed and conclusion drawn.

Onward to new horizons, my trusted steed; yippeee!

Regards

roger.magnusson

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 9:37 pm

I can understand the frustration, but you seem to have ignored that you had one of the engineers reach out to you personally for more info.

kfriis

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 11:33 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:I can understand the frustration, but you seem to have ignored that you had one of the engineers reach out to you personally for more info.

I started my tests September 29, 2021, by installing my Studio 17.3.1 fully paid license.

Later followed 17.3.2, 17.4, 17.4.1, 17.4.2 and latest 17.4.3 since December 21, 2021.

The “authorization debacle” was the last straw, and as I stated: I do not accept this behavior. At all. Stop!

I think, testing on and off on up to three platforms, more or less constantly on two, experiencing a plethora of “non-supported plugins” as well as periodic bugs and instability, compared to the Intel based Mac platform (but some cases reproducible on both), with around a dozen specially created test projects including additional roughly around 250 GB specially produced original audio and video media for this test purpose exclusively (plus a few real-life “project conversions” from other applications) allows me to draw my final conclusion for my personal use on my platforms.

What the future brings, nobody knows, but for the foreseeable future the licensed version of DaVinci Resolve Studio will not exist on the platforms, I control.

Regards

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 2:14 am

Hi Kurt

Just restating something obvious that you may have overlooked:

Activation keys are meant for use on a maximum of 2 machines at any given time. Adding the key in a third machine will deactivate all of your existing licenses. When upgrading, the preferred method is to deactivate explicitly from the help menu and move the license.

Can you add some detail on how you manage licensing on your three test platforms?

Regards
Shrinivas

kfriis

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 8:18 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Hi Kurt

Just restating something obvious that you may have overlooked:

Activation keys are meant for use on a maximum of 2 machines at any given time. Adding the key in a third machine will deactivate all of your existing licenses. When upgrading, the preferred method is to deactivate explicitly from the help menu and move the license.

Can you add some detail on how you manage licensing on your three test platforms?

Regards
Shrinivas

Nothing overlooked.

Never even attempted more than two active key uses at any one time. Sigh.

Don’t waste your time.

In the case, I mentioned, there was a total of one active key. Repeat one! That key had been active and in use up to roughly one hour before, suddenly, not being recognized. No other person uses DaVinci. No other person has access to my key. This moment I have two in-active activations, as described.

Don’t waste my time.

This will be my last communication on the matter. The key is now not in use. DaVinci uninstalled/removed everywhere. Plan to leave it at that.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 8:30 am

That must be it then right? If you only had one key active (or sometimes two) while testing three machines you would be constantly activating/deactivating. There's been talk of automatic monitoring of excessive activations to prevent piracy, so maybe you hit that threshold at some point.

kfriis

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 9:00 am

roger.magnusson wrote:That must be it then right? If you only had one key active (or sometimes two) while testing three machines you would be constantly activating/deactivating. There's been talk of automatic monitoring of excessive activations to prevent piracy, so maybe you hit that threshold at some point.

Over four months, things are not that complicated.

The last weeks or more, there existed only one active key use! ONE!

The system did NOT complain about too many activated keys. It did just - nilly-willy - decide that no activation was active on the machine, that had actively been in use for hours on end with that DaVinci installation, up to around an hour before the “debacle” occurred, when I wanted to check a detail in the project, I had so recently worked on. Machine still running.

If someone uses this type of authentication in a commercial environment, it’d better be reliably implemented.

Regards

P.S. This will really be my last communication on that matter. I’m not continuing to repeat the obvious ;-)

Dieter Scheel

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 12:21 pm

kfriis wrote:P.S. This will really be my last communication on that matter. I’m not continuing to repeat the obvious ;-)
You are not only very agressive and unfriendly but also unteachable. Don't you get it - you (or your system) are the problem - not Resolve or the activation system. You screwed it up, not the software.

Activation works perfectly here. It is cheap, it is fair. For me it is the fairest system I can think of. You have absolutely no reason to complain. Please step in fron of a mirror and start complaining to the person you see there.
Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 32 GB | i7 | RTX2070 8 GB (535.161.07) | 2 TB SSD | 48 TB NAS
Lenovo Legion | Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 16 GB | i5 | GTX1650 4 GB (535.161.07) | 1.25 TB SSD

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 1:13 pm

Resolve is not for everybody, Dieter.
He promised to end communication anyway.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

cepwin

PostSun Jan 30, 2022 3:51 am

I ran into a weird one when I tried to activate on a new computer. What happened was it wouldn't give me the right number of symbols for my activation. I re-downloaded and re-ran and it worked fine. Also be sure you actually extract the exe file....I didn't do it originally and that might have been an issue too. But a fresh download extracted properly worked fine.

Return to DaVinci Resolve