Red Box at the end of a clip in the Timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RogerXXX

Red Box at the end of a clip in the Timeline

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 12:21 pm

Hi I’ve just started to learn Resolve. When I import a clip into the media pool, 25fps 1080 from iPhone 11 Pro, then drag it into the time line, a duplicate thumbnail appears with a red triangle with a tick and underneath the words “Timeline 1.” On all the tutorials I’ve watched I haven’t seen this, what does it mean?

Also in the timeline at the end of the clip there is a red box, I think it says Media offline. I googled it people are saying it’s a problem with iPhone footage. I converted the file to mp4 it’s still there. They also say I need to Relink the File, so I right clicked the thumbnail, selected Relink File, went to the folder where the file was but the file did not show in the folder. I went back to the desktop and checked the folder, the file was there. Can anyone help with this? Thanks Roger

Uli Plank

Re: Red Box at the end of a clip in the Timeline

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 12:45 am

With high probability this is due to your use of smartphone footage, which unfortunately is not having a constant frame rate most of the time. Like many NLEs from the professional world, DR doesn’t like that.
I’d suggest LumaFusion for editing and Video LUT for grading.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Yasir Salah

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 3:18 am

I shoot iPhone footage all the time, as well as my Sony XDCAM video camera and edit in Resolve
I see you are shooting PAL @ 25fps, and want to edit the same frame rate.

If you want to relink your clips, choose the clip not the timeline icon, and use the Relink Selected Clips.

Could you post a screen shot of the red box you get, Does it say Media is offline?

If you are new to Resolve, which is a great software, BMD just posted all new Resolve training videos a couple of week ago,
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books

RogerXXX

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 10:14 am

Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (2).png (455.71 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (1).png (427.49 KiB) Viewed 1485 times

Hi thanks for the reply's.
I think it says Media Offline, the print is very small.
I have enclosed a screen shot of the resolve page also of the folder.
I selected the clip in the Media Pool > I right clicked > Then Selected > “ Relink Selected” it opened a window in Videos > but I selected Desktop ( that’s where the original files are) The files can be seen in the Test Footage Folder but when I Selected that Folder to open it there were no files showing.

Yasir Salah

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 8:54 pm

The screen shot, tells me you aren't going to where the clip is, if you follow the path that was in the Metadata window, for the 0801.Mov clip it starts with Users\bobca\Desktop\Testfootage.

Did you Optimize or used the Proxy features and then you moved something and you could have lost the link?

on the timeline it looks like you are getting the full length of the clip where it end on 00:00:14:18.
to verify this, zoom up your timeline until you see the markings for each frame in this case it will be 18 frames, shy 7 frames in making it 25 fps.

Also, do another test, shoot something, two minutes in 25fps and 30 fps, and see if both will end up with a Media off line at the end?

but first try the link that is in the metadata

good luck, I hope this helps.

RogerXXX

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 10:50 am

I just don’t understand, I put the file in the desktop folder I created “Test Footage” The path for this is, from File Explorer. > This PC > Desktop > Test Footage but when downloaded into Resolve, Resolve in Metadata, as you said, gives the path C:\Users\bobca\Desktop\Testfootage I’ve followed this path the folder is empty, No items match your search.
I only created one Test Footage folder on the desktop, now it appears I have two Test Footage folders. I’m totally confused!!!!!!!!

RogerXXX

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 2:53 pm

I think the problem has been with that one iPhone clip. I started a new project with footage from a Sony a7s that worked ok, so I tried a new project with new footage from the iPhone that worked ok.
I deleted the initial project and started with a new project, imported that original footage and the Red box appeared again. I thought Resolve must be finding the clip as the clip was showing in the viewer and timeline, so why is the red box there at the end? I decided to cut it out, it appeared to be ok but when I played with the zoom it came back, so I cut it out again. I played with the zoom and the timeline for a while now everything seems to be ok. I think there was something wrong with the end of the clip. Well, I hope things will be ok I’ll do an update later.

Yasir Salah

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 3:18 pm

Good to know, sometimes a clip could be corrupt, iPhone or video camera.
Since I’m running a mac I’m not sure how windows system behave in this situation.
I’m sure there is an explanation, but I’m glad you are resuming your work.

Return to DaVinci Resolve