Resolve Live Capturing from PC

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

zeekindustries

Resolve Live Capturing from PC

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 2:57 am

Hey fellow Resolvers!, I come here in ask for advise within the community wisdom as I am a bit clueless onto where the problem I’m facing might be. Any advise from a Davinci guru would be immensely appreciated.

We want to do a Live Color Grading session capturing footage from a PC. The content will be an ACEScc formated game view, though from my tests it seems that the format is irrelevant to the problem I am facing right now, which is that whatever image, when viewed through the capture card onto Resolve Live, it will appear slightly brighter.

What we are doing right now for live color grading is:

- Set the game to render in ACEScc
    - Connect via HDMI 2.1 a DeckLink Studio 4K to the video card (this way the capture card becomes a new “fake” screen
    - Display the game on this new fake screen which by the Nvidia Control panel is set to YCbCr 422 10 bit (Resolve Live only runs on this mode)
    - Run Davinci Resolve Live with color science set to Aces 1.2/ACEScc, ODT ST2084/1000 nits (for HDR Color grading)
    - Color grade and export LUT

So again, the concrete problem I’m facing is that an image/video when viewed through a capture card using Davinci Resolve Live will result in a slightly brighter color.

On the attached images you can see that if I import an EXR in Resolve I can see the correct image, but if I see that same EXR through Resolve Live the color ranges get squeezed a little bit. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

DavinciResolve_BackBuffer_ImportedEXR.PNG
Backbuffer EXR imported into Davinci, this is the correct color.
DavinciResolve_BackBuffer_ImportedEXR.PNG (693.31 KiB) Viewed 475 times

DavinciResolve_BackBuffer_ResolveLive.PNG
Backbuffer viewed through Resolve Live. It shows a DPX because I had to grab a still. Ignore the spike at the beginning.
DavinciResolve_BackBuffer_ResolveLive.PNG (647.28 KiB) Viewed 475 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve