Moving Clips from Timeline Into Bins

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

kwarnke13

Moving Clips from Timeline Into Bins

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 12:13 am

I imported a single long clip to Resolve in a new project. I added that clip to my timeline and then performed the "Detect Scene Cuts" feature. Resolve added edit points and divided up the single clip into multiple individual clips in the timeline, just as I wanted.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to move these newly separated clips from my timeline into my media pool, so I can begin sorting them into bins.

I used Scene Cut Detection from the Edit tab, not from Media Storage, as the feature in Media Storage does not make the individual cuts extendable clips after it adds the edit points.

And I can drag the individual clips from the timeline into bins, but once they reach the Media Pool, it's coded as the entire original clip, just with in/out points. So the preview and thumbnail don't match the actual clip.

I looked up compound clips but that method seems to be inefficient for what I'm trying to do (I have probably over 1,000 individual clips now.)

I tried exporting the timeline as an EDL and then importing that EDL back into Resolve, but that doesn't seem to have worked either. It just imports the entire timeline as a single file, instead of as discrete clips.

Any ideas?

I'm on Windows and Resolve Studio 17.4.3. Thanks.

Peter Cave

Re: Moving Clips from Timeline Into Bins

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 6:37 am

To have individual clips in the Media Pool you need to use the Media Page Scene Cut Detection. You could also make subclips from the clips you have dragged from the timeline to a bin. I would probably use the Media Page scene cut detection and refine it properly before importing. Another way is to export the timeline in Individual Clips mode and create new media which is then properly named and indexed using the Deliver Page tools.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve