Resolve drive plan

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

pchaps

Resolve drive plan

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 5:19 am

I chose DaVinci over Adobe Premier and just received my DaVinci Resolve w/Speed Editor! Tonight, I am literally building a new PC workstation for editing (see signature). As I research here and Puget Sytems, I question my original plan to use my NVMe m.2 1TB for my WinOS and Programs. My query is based on my not knowing how, during Resolve work, Resolve draws upon the program resources on C: drive and resources on other drive storage. For example, perhaps would it be better to have OS and Programs on a 2.5" 1TB Samsung 980 EVO 2.5" SATAIII SSD, use my fast 2T NVMe for working files, and dedicate the fast 1TB NVMe to cache? I need help so that I setup intelligently, which I will be doing very soon!

Bc I was trained as an old-school film and video editor, I think in terms of OS/Program on one drive, dailies on one drive, edited working file on another, and then a backup and archive drive. That no longer seems to be the case, so I need help to survive the whiplash into working in a new way as I see that many people edit with one internal drive and an external drive. I have several new drives so I ask for guidance on how to assign them.

Here are my drives. I have lots to choose from. I assigned a random letter to each drive for reference. Please recommend what role you would use for each: (pardon any misuse of terminology)
v.) 1TB Samsung 970 NVMe m.2
w.) 2TB Samsung 970 NVMe m.2
x.) #1_1TB Samsung 870 EVO 2.5" SATAIII SSD's (I have 2 of these)
y.) #2_1TB Samsung 870 EVO 2.5" SATAIII SSD's (likely for still photos for PS).
z.) 2TB Samsung 980 QVO 2.5" SATAIII SSD (likely for archive of exported Resolve-edited filesw/ trim).
Thanks, Paul Chaplo
ASUS TUF Gaming Pro x570; Win10 Pro64
Ryzen 5900x, ASUS 3060ti KO OC 8gb, G.Skill DDR4 64gb 3200 CL14
A bunch of SSD's both NVMe m.2 and 2.5" SATAIII.
MFA RIT Go Tigers!

Andy Mees

Re: Resolve drive plan

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 11:39 am

You're right, Paul. Massive amounts of superfast RAM, plus today's ultrafast solid sate 'drive' storage has rendered a lot of the old wisdom moot.

For what it's worth though, 'right' or 'wrong', my drive layout is:
NVMe 1 - OS, Apps and Database
NVMe 2 - Scratch, Cache, Autosaves and Exports
NVMe 3 - Project Media
HDD RAID 1 - Library (ie secondary/evergreen media, like idents, bugs, overlays, sound fx media etc)
HDD RAID 2 - Archived Projects, Deliverables and Database Backups

If I only had two m.2 slots then, yes, I'd have used an SSD in place of NVMe 1... as is, I keep a working clone on an SSD, in case of the 'unexpected'. I'd be very surprised if I could tell the difference in general daily use.

Hope it helps
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

pchaps

Re: Resolve drive plan

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 7:34 pm

Andy Mees wrote:If I only had two m.2 slots then, yes, I'd have used an SSD in place of NVMe 1... as is, I keep a working clone on an SSD, in case of the 'unexpected'. I'd be very surprised if I could tell the difference in general daily use.
Hope it helps
Andy

Andy, Thanks. Yes, I only have 2 m.2 slots. Regarding the last part of your response, which is helpful as it references the drives that I do possess, I believe that you are recommending the following:
C: (OS and Programs) : 1 TB 2.5" SATAIII EVO SSD
D: (Dedicated cache, scratch, autosaves and export) 1 TB NVMe m.2
E: (Project media) 2 TB NVMe m.2

Did I get that right?

ps: If I had a couple more new 2.5" SSD's, which I do, I could use one for Library (1TB_EVO-2.5SSD), and the other for Archived Project/etc. (2TB_QVO-2.5SSD) a create a simpler version of your excellent strategy. Cheers!

Return to DaVinci Resolve