input color space, raw clips, and color management settings

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BlackDog79!

input color space, raw clips, and color management settings

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 7:24 am

When right click on Canon Cinema Raw Light clips in the media pool to assign "Canon Log 2 to Rec 709", the Input Color Space no longer shows up as an available option. I am running the studio version of DVR 17.4.3 Build 10 on and Windows 10 machine. I have heard BMD has discontinued the Input Color Space: is this true?

I have also heard that certain project settings now fulfill the input color space function. Is that also true? In the project settings RAW section, I notice I have to change the Decode quality to Full Res-Canon to make all the other Project Setting options available. I set the color space to Canon Cinema Gamut and Canon Log 2 (since I recorded in Cinema Raw Light in my Canon C200). In the color management section in the project settings, I chose DV YRGB color managed, HDR DV Wide Gamut Intermediate, and Rec 709 Output Gamma. Is this the best combination of settings for timelines with Canon Cinema Raw light clips involved?

Ah, but what if I were to use raw clips from two different cameras in one project? Would resolve know that some of the raw clips were not canon, but, for example, were Sony raw clips, and then allow me to change that input color space in the media pool or color page in the Camera Raw Icon section? I ask because right now the Color Space and Gamma there are greyed out in the Color Page and not adjustable, with my current Camera Raw Project settings described above. I would not want the Sony raw clips to be adjusted the same as Canon. In the old days with Input Color Space, I could have done this in the media pool, and identified Sony raw clips as such, but that option seems unavailable now. What am I doing wrong?

Mads Johansen

Re: input color space, raw clips, and color management setti

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 8:15 am

BlackDog79! wrote:When right click on Canon Cinema Raw Light clips in the media pool to assign "Canon Log 2 to Rec 709", the Input Color Space no longer shows up as an available option. I am running the studio version of DVR 17.4.3 Build 10 on and Windows 10 machine. I have heard BMD has discontinued the Input Color Space: is this true?

No. You need to be in a Color Managed workflow (Davinci YRGB Color Managed) to get the Input Color Space.

BlackDog79! wrote:I have also heard that certain project settings now fulfill the input color space function. Is that also true? In the project settings RAW section, I notice I have to change the Decode quality to Full Res-Canon to make all the other Project Setting options available. I set the color space to Canon Cinema Gamut and Canon Log 2 (since I recorded in Cinema Raw Light in my Canon C200). In the color management section in the project settings, I chose DV YRGB color managed, HDR DV Wide Gamut Intermediate, and Rec 709 Output Gamma. Is this the best combination of settings for timelines with Canon Cinema Raw light clips involved?

Project settings is where you set Color Science, so yes.
Yes.

BlackDog79! wrote:Ah, but what if I were to use raw clips from two different cameras in one project? Would resolve know that some of the raw clips were not canon, but, for example, were Sony raw clips, and then allow me to change that input color space in the media pool or color page in the Camera Raw Icon section? I ask because right now the Color Space and Gamma there are greyed out in the Color Page and not adjustable, with my current Camera Raw Project settings described above. I would not want the Sony raw clips to be adjusted the same as Canon. In the old days with Input Color Space, I could have done this in the media pool, and identified Sony raw clips as such, but that option seems unavailable now. What am I doing wrong?

My guess is that you're not in a Color Managed workflow. Do that and all the options are available as you expect.
Davinci Resolve Studio 19B Build 20, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 552.22 Studio

BlackDog79!

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 6:44 pm

You repeatedly suggest that I should be in a color managed workflow, but as I stated in the first paragraph of my post, "I chose DV YRGB color managed, HDR DV Wide Gamut Intermediate, and Rec 709 Output Gamma." Please note the YRGB color managed phrase in that sentence. Yet despite this, the Input Color Space option does not occur when I right-click on a raw clip in the media pool.

shebbe

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 pm

BlackDog79! wrote:I ask because right now the Color Space and Gamma there are greyed out in the Color Page and not adjustable, with my current Camera Raw Project settings described above. I would not want the Sony raw clips to be adjusted the same as Canon.

There's always a lot of confusion with beginners on how this works because it's not that straight forward by UI design.

Whenever you work in a managed project all raw media is automatically managed by Resolve. You can't and don't have to change any of the raw settings for that media when it comes to it's color space and gamma. You can still change other parameters like white balance etc. but the input color space is handled by the software.

The other confusion is that often people think that you can only have 1 Camera Raw setting in a project globally on the settings page but all that section is doing is enabling you to change some of the defaults for decoding such files. The dropdown to switch to other raw formats is really just a tab to go to the next one. All are saved at once. The page itself is useful if say you work not managed but want to overwrite particular metadata of all your raw media of that type. Like forcing a particular color space / gamma, ISO or white balance. It also determines the default decode resolution and quality for all clips.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

BigDarry

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 12:56 pm

Hi,

I have a problem that I can't understand.

In the Colorist Guide to DaVinci Resolve 17, Chap 9 (Setting Up Raw Projects), page 271, it is written :

Right-click clip 04 and select Input Color Space > Bypass.
As Resolve color management is no longer handling the gamma treatment of the image, the grayed-out areas of the Camera Raw palette become available for user customization.

But it is not the case for me. The Input Color Space no longer shows up as an available option. I have only Bypass Color Management, and when I select this option the Gamma Controls stay grayed-out

Color Science is set to DaVinci YRGB Color Managed
Resolve color management preset is set to HDR DaVinci Wide Gamut Intermediate (No possibility to set to DaVinci Wide Gamut) and Camera RAW tab is set to Blackmagic RAW, Full Res, Camera Metadata.

Do you know why this option does not appear when I right-click?
Thanks very much

shebbe

PostFri Feb 04, 2022 11:20 am

BigDarry wrote:Right-click clip 04 and select Input Color Space > Bypass.
As Resolve color management is no longer handling the gamma treatment of the image, the grayed-out areas of the Camera Raw palette become available for user customization.
Don't know if this used to be the case but that is not how it works currently. You can't deviate from global management with RAW files. I'm not sure if that is intended however. Feels like a bug/oversight. You can overwrite parameters for Camera Raw in the project settings (setting decode to project) and change the color space and gamma there but that will then count for all RAW files of that type. Then set your clip to decode using Project and it will take those settings instead when "Bypass Color Management" is selected.
z.png
z.png (42.74 KiB) Viewed 287 times

But as I said in my earlier post there is no reason to change the gamma and color space of raw images in a color managed project because it is automatically handled and converted to the timeline color space properly. You are also excluding it from the output transform of the project wide management so if you'd change that you need to manually change whatever you did on the bypassed clips to match the new output. Is there anything specific you are trying to achieve?
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Return to DaVinci Resolve