restore Disk Database to PostgreSQL database

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Bob Zelin

restore Disk Database to PostgreSQL database

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 7:22 pm

Hi -
I have searched thru the forums and Google, but can't get a current answer to this. Hopefully someone can assist. I have a client that I setup a PostgreSQL database for that is working great on all their computers with Resolve 17. They want to now transfer their existing Disk Databases to the PostgreSQL database. So I use the "backup" command to backup the Disk Database. When I go to "restore" Resolve asks me where I want to restore the Disk Database. It will not allow me to select PostgreSQL and give it a name and a location.

What am I missing here. Can I "restore" a disk database from a local system into a PostgreSQL database on a server ?

Thanks -
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

roger.magnusson

Re: restore Disk Database to PostgreSQL database

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 7:36 pm

My workaround for this in a database that didn't have a lot of projects was to do copy/paste of projects in the Project Manager. You can copy multiple projects at once but unfortunately not folders.

Igor Riđanović

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 9:11 pm

I'm not sure that you can backup and restore from one to the other. It's worth a try, but they are different databases. The disc database is SQLite and the other one is PostgreSQL. But you can save DRPs from one and load in the other.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 10:33 pm

As mentioned, you can't restore a Disk db backup to a PostgreSQL db, or visa versa.

As also mentioned, you can copy all the projects from a Disk db to a PostgreSQL db.

Because it's not obvious how to do that:

Select all the desired projects in the Disk db, then do a Ctrl-c (or CMD-c if Mac).

Then select the PostgreSQL db, put the cursor in the Projects area and do a Ctrl-v (Or CMD-v if Mac) to paste the projects into the db. It's not a fast process. If you have lots of projects, it's going to take some time.

As also mentioned, you can't copy and paste project folders. If you have project folders, you'll have to create those folders on the PostgreSQL db, then copy/paste projects one folder at a time.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Igor Riđanović

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 10:54 pm

Actually, it looks like there is a tool to import SQLite to PSQL. I don't know anything about it:
https://pgloader.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ref/
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Bob Zelin

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 10:56 pm

thank you all for the replies !
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 11:24 pm

Igor, your link says the page does not exist yet.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve