new Imac

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

nielsDeVos

new Imac

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 10:36 am

hey

I'm thinking of buying a new Imac for all my editing. And I want to start using DaVinci resolve but I want to be shure that it will work fine without any trouble. So:

-I'm buying a new Imac from late 2012
- 3, 4 GHz i5 Quad-core intel with a 1GB Fusion drive (Is the fusion drive good for using Da vinci )
-16 GB of RAM (but I'm going to upgrade it to 32 GB in a short time.
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 2GB GDDR5 (or do I need the 4 GB upgrade)

Sorry for the spelling but I'm from Belgium, and I a Student so I Haven't got a lot of cash to spare for buying a New mac pro !

thanks !

Niels

adamroberts

Re: new Imac

PostFri Nov 22, 2013 12:11 pm

That iMac will work well. Upgrading to the 4GB GPU will be a good option if you are running Resolve. The next update to FCPX will also benefit from the GPU upgrade.

rick.lang

Re: new Imac

PostSat Nov 23, 2013 3:14 am

nielsDeVos wrote:hey

I'm thinking of buying a new Imac for all my editing. And I want to start using DaVinci resolve but I want to be shure that it will work fine without any trouble. So:

-I'm buying a new Imac from late 2012
- 3, 4 GHz i5 Quad-core intel with a 1GB Fusion drive (Is the fusion drive good for using Da vinci )
-16 GB of RAM (but I'm going to upgrade it to 32 GB in a short time.
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 2GB GDDR5 (or do I need the 4 GB upgrade)...
Niels

I agree with Adam you want 4 GB of VRAM but if you are primarily wanting to use Resolve on it, you may not need to add another 16 GB of RAM. I know that won't save you a lot. Review the iMac section of the Configuration Guide for Resolve that is available from the Support Webpage. That should tell you what you need.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to DaVinci Resolve