Project database corrupt - Name Already Exists

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

floh79

Project database corrupt - Name Already Exists

PostWed Feb 23, 2022 11:15 am

Hello,

I'm working with Windows 10 64Bit and Davinci Resolve Studio 17.4.3.

I have same issue last week an gave up fixing it. Now it happened again so I want dig the issue and ask for your help

I just created a new project, I didn't add any media yet and wanted to create another one, but the project crashed. Unfortunately I don't remember the message but there I had two options (I don't remember exactly the words but something like that):
  • Reload Project
  • Export Project
If I reload the project, then the exact same dialog popup, no matter how often I did "reload project". So I'm in a loop. Then I killed the Davinci process and restarted Davinci Resolve.

The new project is not shown in project list, it's ok by me because I didn't start working there...
So I created new one with same name but got error:
Name Already Exists
A project with the same name is already in use.
[ OK ]

Well, I suspect its somewhere stored, so how/where can I delete this "existing" project? I believe I also need to fix the project related data in DB.

I'm using default DB structure, called "Local Database" (I think it's SQLite).

Best regards
Floh
PS: I'm familiar with IT/Databases/SQL so I'm fine with working Databases. In case I need to fix the DB.

Andy Mees

Re: Project database corrupt - Name Already Exists

PostWed Feb 23, 2022 11:28 am

That sounds like the 'Critical Error Saving Project' dialog... here are a few links to previous threads that might have clues :
"Critical Error saving project" - Project is gone missing
"Critical Error Saving Project" Issue for almost everything
Critical Error Saving Project
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

floh79

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 9:27 am

Hello,

yes its exactly what happened to me. I got this:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=129243#p757626
  • I have enough storage
  • Project database is stored in default path and this is not synced nor it's located to external storage (NAS/Cloud/...)
  • Dynamic Project Switching (<- I didn't know about that and never enabled it before)
But interestingly they're talking about copied timeline to another project. I have some project, where I copied single clips from one project to another one like background color, logos, ... but not timeline (nor special things like compound clips).
Also in my case it just plain empty project because I only created a project, then went directly to project manager and wanted to create another new project then it crashed... :?:

Now I want to delete the invisible project, but how...?

Best regards
Floh

floh79

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 1:11 pm

I found out. If you're in project manager. There you can rightclick on "Local Database", there is a meny entry "Open File Location".
Project-LocalDatabase.png
Project-LocalDatabase.png (12.05 KiB) Viewed 1952 times

I did following:
1. Go to the path of Local Database
2. Dig trough: Resolve Projects > Users > Guest > Projects
3. Delete the folder with the same Name I tried to create
4. Restart DaVinci Resolve
5. Create new Project with same name (it works)
6. Then just save <Ctrl>+<S> => :evil: "Critical Error Saving Project" :evil:

So... just delete the folder as describe above isn't sufficient. So where are other datas stored which are related to the deleted project?

Any ideas?

UPDATE (and cause found):
Oh... I just found out whats wrong... :shock:
I tried to copy newly created project (same name) in ROOT directory of Projects. Then I tried to copy&paste it in subdirectory but I failed: File name is too long :!: :shock: That would explain the error "Critical Error Saving Project" because the name of project is too long :!: So this would explain, why it's working in ROOT but not in subdirectory becasuse the max file name length is including the full path (max 255 chars for NTFS) :?: I think I should report that BlackMagicDesign, but where? They should check if filename is too long before a project is created. This also explains why DaVinci Resolve crashes if you try to store because it creates some subdirectories and files whose path length is over 255 characters then and Windows tells to DaVinci "No bad boy..., its too long so I won't store!".

My quick workaround would be moving the LocalDatabase to another path (shorter one) because default one with path to projects:
Code: Select all
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects\

Which is already 129 chars without counting USERNAME. And within the project DaVinci Resolve creates subdirectory and files like:
\Batch Renders\bbd64c6f-6013-4bac-b68a-b816e3dea4eb.xml
which is additional 55 characters. In total this would be 184 characters. So you have 71 remaining characters for your USERNAME, project name and maybe subdirectories (additional one for slashes for each subdirectory) which leaves not much for you...
In my case it was 311 characters in total, way more than the limit of 255 characters.

In long term I should create PostgreSQL Database and use that instead, so I can enable remote render feature.

Best regards
Floh

Marc Wielage

PostFri Feb 25, 2022 12:39 am

That is crazy, having session file names longer than 100 characters. I can't imagine anybody doing that.

I'd like to see an error message pop up that says, "Cannot exceed 100 characters for Project Names" if you try it.

There's a point where session names that long become impossible to read and impractical to use. As an aside, I can recall VFX file names being incredibly long at ILM, because their standard practice was to include project names, shot name/take/scene, versions, approvals, dates, and times of days. I have never, ever seen file names longer than some shots at ILM, plus approvals were being given at various times of days: I'd be going along color-correcting a new shot, and somebody would rush in and say, "oh, are you using the one made at 2:23? You need to use the updated one from 4:49PM." But VFX is kind of its own specialized world.

I think for color, you need to adhere to best practices for post workflow and not go crazy down a rabbit hole with extreme file names. Here's two references that outline better ways to work:

"Modern Post: Workflow & Techniques for Digital Filmmakers"
by Scott Arundale
https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Post-Work ... 0415747023

"The Guide to Managing Postproduction for Film, TV, and Digital Distribution"
by Susan Spohr & Barbara Clark
https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Managing-P ... 1138482811
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

floh79

PostFri Feb 25, 2022 8:43 am

@Marc: Where did I say that I have such long file names?
Marc Wielage wrote:having session file names longer than 100 characters

I'm not talking about the project name itself, but the full path length, like the following one:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects\AGENCIES\END_CUSTOMERS\PROJECTNAME

Bold characters vary depending on your Windows Username, on subdirectories and on the project name itself. Depending on the type of your work/customers/your username there may not be many characters left.

Also, I live in Germany where the words are usually longer than in English (this is why I prefer naming projects in English, but this won't always work :? ). And I have customers (like German public authories) with crazy long names :roll: That is why I got hit by this issue. I usually use Date, Project Number and Short Title.

I want ask Blackmagic Design to add the full path length check before the project is created. This would avoid the issue with "Critical Error saving project" some other already experienced. Not just checking if project name exceeds 100 characters, which is not sufficient :!:

Best regards
Floh

Marc Wielage

PostFri Feb 25, 2022 11:16 am

floh79 wrote:@Marc: Where did I say that I have such long file names?

My apologies -- I glanced at your mention that the directory name was over 100 characters, which was crazy to me.

floh79 wrote:Oh... I just found out whats wrong... :shock: I tried to copy newly created project (same name) in ROOT directory of Projects. Then I tried to copy&paste it in subdirectory but I failed: File name is too long :!: :shock: That would explain the error "Critical Error Saving Project" because the name of project is too long :!: So this would explain, why it's working in ROOT but not in subdirectory becasuse the max file name length is including the full path (max 255 chars for NTFS) :?: I think I should report that BlackMagicDesign, but where? They should check if filename is too long before a project is created. This also explains why DaVinci Resolve crashes if you try to store because it creates some subdirectories and files whose path length is over 255 characters then and Windows tells to DaVinci "No bad boy..., its too long so I won't store!".

Are you saying you tried to copy the project in the OS and not in Resolve? If so, that's a major problem: you have to create/delete/move/backup all projects from the Project Manager, which is what it's for. Don't do anything in the OS beyond backing up the drive.

The very first section of the Resolve 17 manual is Chapter 3, "Managing Projects and Databases" starting on p. 68. Read that and it'll confirm what I say.

If I misunderstand your explanation, then I'm clearly befuddled. Maybe we have a language issue (and it's also 3 in the morning here in LA).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

floh79

PostFri Feb 25, 2022 2:22 pm

Hello Marc,

no problems, sometimes it difficult to explain/read. I was just wondering, and sure a single filename or single directory name over 100 characters of course would be insane. ;)

Marc Wielage wrote:Are you saying you tried to copy the project in the OS and not in Resolve? If so, that's a major problem: you have to create/delete/move/backup all projects from the Project Manager, which is what it's for. Don't do anything in the OS beyond backing up the drive.
Sure, it was only for test purpose and fixing the initial issue "Name already Exists"*. But thanks to that I noticed the cause of "Critical Error Saving Project" (in my case). I'm an IT technician, so I'm familiar with it and that is why I was examining the issue and daring to work in the filesystem in this case. ;)

*) Initial issue: The project wasn't shown in Project Manager and I cannot create one with the name but I found the directory in
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects\
where I had to delete the "orphaned" directory.

Usually I create/rename/delete/manage only with DaVinci Project Manager and don't do anything in "OS layer" because that would be only asking for trouble, as you rightly mentioned.

Best regards
Floh

Return to DaVinci Resolve