Magic Mask on Still image/No Tracking

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MarnMxxx

Magic Mask on Still image/No Tracking

PostSat Apr 02, 2022 1:10 am

Can't figure out how to get the Magic Mask to cover entire length of a 'STILL' image without tracking the whole (non video) still image. I used the Magic Mask to get the person in the still image selected by the Magic Mask but it's only for the one frame the playhead is sitting on. To get the mask to cover the entire images length in the timeline I have to track it.
The mask doesn't change throughout because it's a still but I still have to track it to get the mask to cover the whole image across the Timeline.
There's gotta be a way to tell it to use that frames mask across the whole length of the image.

Jim Simon

Re: Magic Mask on Still image/No Tracking

PostSat Apr 02, 2022 3:38 pm

That's just how the feature works.

You might be better off doing this in a photo editor like Affinity or Photoshop.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

bounceHouse

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 6:34 pm

+1 on this annoyance. Would like to quickly mask part of a still image across the length of the clip. Magic mask works well on... 1 frame of the still.
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 19b1 build

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 5:03 am

What about 'Render in Place', so it's seen as a video?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

bounceHouse

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 6:41 am

@Uli, granted, and I appreciate the spot-on advice.

I also typically use Render in Place soon after magic mask operations on original video as well, to avoid issues with losing the mask or getting quirky results in the color page node tree during further work (even with a compound clip wrapper, I experience intermittent issues). I don't like having lost easy visibility to the original node trees, for tweaking the grading nodes and/or other fusion work. Render in Place is the available option for a more reliable workflow so I do it, but I don't like it.

And I feel badly believing that people have to struggle and then search to learn a workaround to enjoy such a wonderful masking tool, rather than the tool just working naturally.
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 19b1 build

Marc Wielage

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 9:19 am

bounceHouse wrote:And I feel badly believing that people have to struggle and then search to learn a workaround to enjoy such a wonderful masking tool, rather than the tool just working naturally.

Well, a tool like this wasn't designed for a 1-frame image. If you render it in place as (say) a 5-second image, then it'll work.

If it were me, I'd just draw a fairly precise mask by hand as a power window and use that. And use multiple windows if necessary to cut out the image and do what I needed to do. It's not that hard -- it just takes time.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 1:47 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Well, a tool like this wasn't designed for a 1-frame image.

Most monocular depth estimation models (and most probably the one in Resolve too) work on single frame, not sequence, they don't take adjascent frames into account, result for specific frame doesn't depend on those. So they are actually designed exactly for 1-frame images.
I do stuff.

panos_mts

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 1:56 pm

Another workaround is to put the image with the magic mask inside a compound clip and freeze the first frame of the compound.

mmetukka

PostThu Mar 02, 2023 9:00 am

I found one workaround for this.

Render in Place did not work for me. Still Magic Mask only did a good job in the first frame and lost some of the masking data further on.

In Fusion, I put a TimeSpeed -node right after the MagicMask -node and freezed it to the first frame (0). That way the initial mask continued through the whole clip duration.

Hope this helps someone

Peder Henriksen

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 8:01 pm

mmetukka wrote:I found one workaround for this.
In Fusion, I put a TimeSpeed -node right after the MagicMask -node and freezed it to the first frame (0). That way the initial mask continued through the whole clip duration.

Thanks for sharing your workaround for this annoying behavior.

terraslate

PostWed Jan 24, 2024 10:55 am

mmetukka wrote:I found one workaround for this.

Render in Place did not work for me. Still Magic Mask only did a good job in the first frame and lost some of the masking data further on.

Hope this helps someone

It did indeed. Many thanks.

Return to DaVinci Resolve