Total Black when using Depth Map

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Earl Green

Re: Total Black when using Depth Map

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 10:18 pm

I think it's windows 11 or the nvidia driver for windows 11.
I roll back to Windows 10 and everything work

Note that user "Fireniko" has the same problem and in his configuration listing he shows "Windows 10 Pro".
This would seem to eliminate Windows 11 as the cause.
As far as the Nvidia driver, after someone posted they had no issue I confirmed I had the same Nvidia Studio driver version as they had and the Depth Map issued still occurred for me.
This would seem to eliminate the Nvidia driver as the issue.

But since I do not know the actual source of the issue, I will not say either is absolutely not the cause.

aquadrat

PostWed Aug 31, 2022 3:11 pm

Question: Does anyone at BM cares about this issue?

JBandeira

PostThu Sep 01, 2022 3:43 pm

aquadrat wrote:Question: Does anyone at BM cares about this issue?

Some feedback from BM would certainly be nice.
I'm still using a beta version on account of this issue.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 2:13 am

Please do raise this issue in Nvidia forums as well, inlcuding info on the graphics card model and driver version.

Earl Green

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 12:18 pm

Please do raise this issue in Nvidia forums as well, inlcuding info on the graphics card model and driver version.

Wouldn't it have greater impact if raised by Blackmagic themselves?

This issue was first raised at the end of April (4 months ago), are you just finding out now it is a Nvidia issue?

Please don't forget that through Beta 5 this actually did partially work. Then someone at Blackmagic made a change and there was a post here (by you) stating it should work in Beta 6. There must have been a sense at that time it was not a Nvidia issue.

It is very confusing we are now being told to go and talk to Nvidia and it is somehow on us to get this resolved by them.

jamedia

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 12:26 pm

Earl Green wrote:

Wouldn't it have more impact if raised by Blackmagic themselves?

This issue was first raised at the end of April (4 months ago), are you just finding out now it is a Nvidia issue?

Please don't forget that through Beta 5 this actually did partially work. Then someone at Blackmagic made a change and there was a post here (by you) stating it should work in Beta 6. There must have been a sense at that time it was not a Nvidia issue.

It is very confusing we are now being told to go and talk to Nvidia and it is somehow on us to get this resolved by them.

+1

Far better if BMD talk to NVIDIA as both parties (I am sure) will hav e NDA's and can see the actual source code & HW designs. Besides users only have partial information based on (often misleading) symptoms.

I don't want new features I NEED the current ones to work properly and *reliably* It shouldn't be difficult.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

jamedia

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 12:27 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Please do raise this issue in Nvidia forums as well, inlcuding info on the graphics card model and driver version.

Isn't this something BMD should be doing? Users don't have NDA's with NVIDA nor access to any of the Resolve source code. BMD will have both.
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Earl Green

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 6:36 pm

JBandeira wrote:I'm still using a beta version on account of this issue.

Perhaps at the very least you could remove the change made prior to Beta 6 so people could use the newest versions and get some use instead of having to remain at an old Beta version.

jamedia

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 7:24 pm

Earl Green wrote:
JBandeira wrote:I'm still using a beta version on account of this issue.

Perhaps at the very least you could remove the change made prior to Beta 6 so people could use the newest versions and get some use instead of having to remain at an old Beta version.

+1
www.JAmedia.uk

Earl Green

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 3:35 am

Downloaded 18.0.2 and installed.

Did a quick check of Depth Map function and I don't see any change.

I might spend a little more time checking to verify behavior is exactly the same but...

It appears the issue still exists.

Earl Green

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 12:44 pm

Did some more checking today.

First, Windows 11 and Nvidia Studio drivers checked and everything is up-to-date.

Second, installed Beta 5 to verify it still works with current system updates. It indeed works as before.

Third, installed 18.0.2 and ran exact same test as with Beta 5. Depth Map fails to work for any resolution (same behavior which appeared with Beta 6).

So it appears issue still exists.

For completeness:
Intel Core i7-9750H CPU
32.0 GB
Windows 11 Home
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
Driver: 31.0.15.1694

bounceHouse

PostWed Sep 14, 2022 5:16 pm

Similar experience (for me, Resolve crashes on the current version rather than giving all-black result).
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 19b1 build

Earl Green

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 12:18 pm

Downloaded and installed 18.0.3

No Change.

I have not heard back from any developer since July 20 and that was asking me to make sure I had the newest Windows and Nvidia drivers. There was also the September 2 post here asking that we raise the issue with Nvidia.

It would be appreciated if someone from BMD could confirm whether or not this is an active issue being worked.

jamedia

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 12:30 pm

Earl Green wrote:Downloaded and installed 18.0.3

It would be appreciated if someone from BMD could confirm whether or not this is an active issue being worked

+1

(did I also mention +1 for a like button?)
www.JAmedia.uk

atavori

PostFri Sep 16, 2022 7:51 pm

jamedia wrote:
Earl Green wrote:Downloaded and installed 18.0.3

It would be appreciated if someone from BMD could confirm whether or not this is an active issue being worked

+1

(did I also mention +1 for a like button?)

Seriously, the lack of response from BMD on this issue is uncalled for. It seems there are not enough of us having this specific issue for them to care or allocate resources to a resolution. That's understandable; but as a new, paying customer, I had a lot of plans for this feature which played a role in my decision to buy Resolve Studio. I've been frustrated with this for a long time now, and have now reached a level of disgust that will leave a permanent taste in my mouth. Really expected more from BMD, guess that was my mistake...
Last edited by atavori on Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acer Predator 315 | i7-9750H | GTX 1660Ti 6GB | 16GB | Windows 10 x64
Resolve Studio + Speed editor | Audio: Audient iD14

Steve Alexander

PostFri Sep 16, 2022 9:40 pm

Did you reach out to their tech support?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

CougerJoe

PostFri Sep 16, 2022 10:23 pm

jamedia wrote:
Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Please do raise this issue in Nvidia forums as well, inlcuding info on the graphics card model and driver version.

Isn't this something BMD should be doing? Users don't have NDA's with NVIDA nor access to any of the Resolve source code. BMD will have both.

It works for most people even those with the same GPU's /GPU series as people reporting the black screen problem. Can you try turning GPU features on and off like GPU scheduling, and resizable bar etc. It is probably a Resolve bug, but possibly you could help yourself by making your system more compatible with Depth Map. Reinstall drivers ticking the box that says 'fresh install' or similar, or even better using DDU to completely remove all traces of driver.

Not saying any of that should help, but you've been sitting there with a black screen for many months while others with the same GPU/GPU generation have not had that problem. I'd try everything I could think of. I have latest studio drivers, GPU scheduling is on, Resizable bar is off.

When you play back do you see significant 3D GPU activity from depth map even though you have a black screen?

jamedia

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 8:19 am

jamedia wrote:

I think this:-

CougerJoe wrote:...... Can you try turning GPU features on and off like GPU scheduling, and resizable bar etc. It is probably a Resolve bug, but possibly you could help yourself by making your system more compatible with Depth Map. Reinstall drivers ticking the box that says 'fresh install' or similar, or even better using DDU to completely remove all traces of driver. ......

Is something people were expecing from BMD. Comment and advice on how to isolate or work around the problem. Not silence.
This isn't a random forum but the official BMD support forum run by BMD.
www.JAmedia.uk

Earl Green

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 1:25 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Did you reach out to their tech support?

Yes.
I have been in direct contact with developers twice.
As previously noted, the first time I was a little late in replying since I had not seen the PM from them. I supplied the requested files/video each time.

CougerJoe wrote:It works for most people even those with the same GPU's /GPU series as people reporting the black screen problem. Can you try turning GPU features on and off like GPU scheduling, and resizable bar etc..

This is a long thread so I may have missed it, but I don't think I have seen any replies saying someone has it working with a 1660 series GPU. In fact it was pointed out earlier it was a common problem for 1660 users and therefore possibly only affecting them.

I have tried changing many settings in Resolve, Windows and the Nvidia control panel in the hope of resolving or at least isolating the issue. None of these had any impact and therefore I did not mention them in previous posts.

I would like to point out again this worked with non 16:9 timelines through Beta 5.
I have all the latest Windows updates and the latest Nvidia Studio driver.
I just uninstalled 18.0.3 and reinstalled Beta 5. It still works for non 16:9 timelines.
A change was made by BMD prior to Beta 6 which was suppose to fix this. Instead it caused the issue to occur with all timelines.

Since I have no insight into the cause of the issue I can only speculate based on the results I am seeing.
It would seem the GPU is capable of handling the processing at some level and the Resolve code has some impact on it.

Regardless of the cause it would be nice to know if this is being treated as an active issue.
If not, then it would be nice if the Beta 6 change could be backed out so we could at least have partial functionality.

Steve Alexander

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 4:24 pm

jamedia wrote:

Really? As far as I understood it, this is a User forum where users help users and we are lucky that we have the occasional participation from some of the folks at BMD. I'm going to have a look at the FAQ, etc. and check on this - maybe I am mistaken.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

jamedia

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 4:51 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:
jamedia wrote:

Really? As far as I understood it, this is a User forum where users help users and we are lucky that we have the occasional participation from some of the folks at BMD. I'm going to have a look at the FAQ, etc. and check on this - maybe I am mistaken.

This forum is set up by BMD
This forum is part of the BMD web site ( look at the URL)
This forum is moderated by BMD
The BMD people post to it making announcments of new releases.
The BMD people set up a New Features Requets for Resolve section.
The BMD tech staff read and reply to user posts on here.
This is a BMD owned and run forum.
That is the reality.
www.JAmedia.uk

Uli Plank

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 5:50 pm

And quite different from the Reduser forum (run by Red) critical voices are not suppressed.

Blackmagic is listening, but it's their strict policy not to tell anybody outside what they are working on – that includes bugfixes.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Steve Alexander

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 9:09 pm

jamedia wrote:
Steve Alexander wrote:
jamedia wrote:

This forum is set up by BMD
This forum is part of the BMD web site ( look at the URL)
This forum is moderated by BMD
The BMD people post to it making announcments of new releases.
The BMD people set up a New Features Requets for Resolve section.
The BMD tech staff read and reply to user posts on here.
This is a BMD owned and run forum.
That is the reality.

I took a look at the introductory pages of this forum and BMD states that this is a forum for users to help users. I only mentioned and quoted you because if you think that raising an issue on this forum is going to get serious attention from the support team at BMD, you are mistaken (unless they happen to notice the posting - sometimes Dwaine or Peter chime-in, no doubt). However, the recommended approach for users with a paid license is to contact technical support. No guarantees that your issue will be solved, but this is the approach I believe BMD recommends.

If Peter or Dwaine would like to correct this interpretation, I hope they will chime-in to clear things up.
Time Traveller

CougerJoe

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 10:43 pm

Earl Green wrote:This is a long thread so I may have missed it, but I don't think I have seen any replies saying someone has it working with a 1660 series GPU. In fact it was pointed out earlier it was a common problem for 1660 users and therefore possibly only affecting them.

I have tried changing many settings in Resolve, Windows and the Nvidia control panel in the hope of resolving or at least isolating the issue. None of these had any impact and therefore I did not mention them in previous posts.

I skimmed this thread, Looks like black screen for 3x 1660 super owners, 5x 1660ti owners, 1x 2080 super owner and 1 3080ti owner. Also 1 1660 super owner has no problem and shown depth map working fine on 16:9 timelines.

I would be interesting to find more of these card owners that don't have the problem, but unfortunately they'll probably never read this thread.

jamedia

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 9:05 am

Steve Alexander wrote:I took a look at the introductory pages of this forum and BMD states that this is a forum for users to help users. I only mentioned and quoted you because if you think that raising an issue on this forum is going to get serious attention from the support team at BMD, you are mistaken

I would say it is this attitude from BMD and from people like you that do the most harm to BMD. You only have to read the forums to see that. Also it is why most people when asked suggest a source of support for Resolve say go to Youtube and other forums rather than using this forum.
www.JAmedia.uk

okiewardoyo

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 9:40 am

I have GTX 1650 in this machine. I think GTX (whatever number version) will get heavy work when doing heavy job like depth map. And i never use depth map, not important for me. But i have tried depth map couple of times by using RTX in my office, and it works smooth.
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Steve Alexander

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 11:17 am

jamedia wrote:
Steve Alexander wrote:I took a look at the introductory pages of this forum and BMD states that this is a forum for users to help users. I only mentioned and quoted you because if you think that raising an issue on this forum is going to get serious attention from the support team at BMD, you are mistaken (unless they happen to notice the posting - sometimes Dwaine or Peter chime-in, no doubt). However, the recommended approach for users with a paid license is to contact technical support. No guarantees that your issue will be solved, but this is the approach I believe BMD recommends

I would say it is this attitude from BMD and from people like you that do the most harm to BMD. You only have to read the forums to see that. Also it is why most people when asked suggest a source of support for Resolve say go to Youtube and other forums rather than using this forum.

I guess you must be right.

BTW, Chris, did you contact BMD support (you can open a support ticket via the support page). That way they will have details in their internal issue tracking system beyond anything mentioned in this forum and you can pester them referencing your ticket from time-to-time to see if there is any progress. After all, the goal is to find a solution to this issue, is it not?
Time Traveller

Uli Plank

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 11:24 am

It seems to be a tricky bug, so it should help the developers to get all the information that way.
I can only say that Depth Map works well here, which is such an impressive feat. After all, it does its AI magic even from a locked-down shot, so it has no parallax information at all. So, it must be based on image recognition, which could be influenced by the aspect ratio (can't reproduce it here in either one).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Steve Alexander

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 11:29 am

True, Uli, and Chris has an RTX 3080 TI which one would think would be more than up to the task. If it were just the older GTX 16xxx causing issues we could write it off to something about the machine learning code but not so with the RTX 30xx I wouldn't imagine.
Time Traveller

jamedia

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 11:52 am

Steve Alexander wrote:I guess you must be right.

BTW, Chris, did you contact BMD support (you can open a support ticket via the support page). That way they will have details in their internal issue tracking system beyond anything mentioned in this forum and you can pester them referencing your ticket from time-to-time to see if there is any progress. After all, the goal is to find a solution to this issue, is it not?

And there you go obliquly blaming the users for a defect in the software... This is what gets BMD and this forum such a bad name. This sort of attitude can bring a company down.
www.JAmedia.uk

Earl Green

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 12:02 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:...If it were just the older GTX 16xxx causing issues we could write it off to something about the machine learning code...

I will point out again, with Beta 5 and before this DID work for timelines that are not 16:9.
You can see this in the video provided by Fireniko in a previous post.
With the introduction of a change in Beta 6 it stopped working for all timelines.
So we are certain these GTX 16xx processors are able to handle the processing EXCEPT under certain circumstances.
It seems likely if they can handle 4k DCI they should also be able to handle 1080p.
So what is it about this feature that when it is called for a 16:9 timeline it does not return the expected results?

Steve Alexander

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 12:03 pm

jamedia wrote:
Steve Alexander wrote:I guess you must be right.

And there you go obliquly blaming the users for a defect in the software... This is what gets BMD and this forum such a bad name. This sort of attitude can bring a company down.

I am suggesting that you contact BMD with the details of the issue you are having. I am not blaming the users of this software. It is clearly a software bug, perhaps confounded by a hardware and/or driver and/or configuration issue. The more data BMD has in their issue tracking system, the more likely they will be able to fix the bug.

FWIW, I don't believe BMD or this forum have a bad name. I try to remain positive and help other users where I can (and have done so for a few years). Surprisingly, even when some users appear hostile, I try to help them. I have taken the time to try a variety of test scenarios to see if I can reproduce the issue you have reported and so far, I have been unsuccessful. I'm trying to be helpful but have clearly not communicated that effectively and thus have failed.
Time Traveller

Steve Alexander

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 12:06 pm

Earl Green wrote:
Steve Alexander wrote:...If it were just the older GTX 16xxx causing issues we could write it off to something about the machine learning code...

I will point out again, with Beta 5 and before this DID work for timelines that are not 16:9.
You can see this in the video provided by Fireniko in a previous post.
With the introduction of a change in Beta 6 it stopped working for all timelines.
So we are certain these GTX 16xx processors are able to handle the processing EXCEPT under certain circumstances.
It seems likely if they can handle 4k DCI they should also be able to handle 1080p.
So what is it about this feature that when it is called for a 16:9 timeline it does not return the expected results?

I'm referring to a bug in the machine learning code in Resolve, not in the GTX 16xx. Some confluence of conditions that screw up the depth map calculation.
Time Traveller

Earl Green

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 7:02 pm

I realize a lot of people have probably not seen this actual issue so I put together a short (just over a minute) video to show it. I tried to keep it short but informative.

This is the behavior for Resolve 18 Beta 5. In doing this I found an additional issue (see below).

I used 2 clips provided by BMD in their training downloads. One change was with the 1080p clip. I changed fps in the clip attributes from 24 to 23.976 so it matched the timeline.

I show with 2 different clips of different resolutions (one 4k DCI and the other 1080p) how Depth Map does not work with 16:9 ratio timelines but does work for others. Specifically I show Ultra HD, 4K DCI, 1080p and DCI Flat 1.85.
NEW ISSUE: I also found it does not work with Scope or Scope 2.39 timelines.

For the current version of Resolve (18.0.3) Depth Map does not work at all and only a black screen is returned regardless of timeline settings.

I suspect there will be questions so I will try to guess a few and answer them here.

Timeline resolutions:
I have tried most of the timeline resolutions. It does not work on 16:9, Scope or Scope 2.39 timelines and does work for others.

FPS.
I have tried many different FPS clips (both matching the timeline and not matching the timeline). The behavior is the same.

Clips:
I show 4K DCI and DNxHR here but I have also tried ProRes and H.264. The behavior is the same.

Edit and Fusion tabs.
The behavior is the same on Edit, Fusion and Color tabs.

Faster/Better
I have tried both Faster and Better with the Depth Map settings. The behavior is the same.

Earl Green

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 12:37 pm

Just installed latest Nvidia Studio driver.

Checked Depth Map function and it now appears to be working for most timeline resolutions.

It is at least working for all the most commonly used timelines. For the few it does not work with I wouldn't consider it an issue.

I'm not sure if this was fixed with the Nvidia driver only or if it was a combination of the 18.0.3 update and the Nvidia driiver, but either way it is nice to see it working.

So thank you to whoever was responsible.

I could not test an 8K timeline since I get an OUT OF MEMORY error.

A quick check found it does not work for the following:
720 x 480 NTSC DV
720 x 480 NTSC DV 16:9
720 x 486 NTSC
720 x 486 NTSC 16:9
3072 x 2048 Vistavision

Steve Alexander

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 1:19 pm

Good news. Maybe BMD finally talked to nVidia. You never know. Did the release notes for the latest driver mention Resolve?
Time Traveller

Earl Green

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 1:45 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Did the release notes for the latest driver mention Resolve?

Checked this doc:

https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/517.40/517.40-win10-win11-nsd-release-notes.pdf

I do not see anything which mentions it.

JBandeira

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 12:51 pm

Earl Green wrote:Just installed latest Nvidia Studio driver.

Checked Depth Map function and it now appears to be working for most timeline resolutions.

I just installed both the Nvidia 517.40 driver and Resolve 18.0.3 on my laptop (i7 10th Gen, 32GB, GTX1660TI, Windows 11) and it behaves much like with Beta 5: DCI resolutions work, 16:9 don't. At least I'm not using a beta version anymore...

Thanks for your efforts in keeping us informed.

Earl Green

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 1:34 pm

JBandeira wrote:... it behaves much like with Beta 5: DCI resolutions work, 16:9 don't. At least I'm not using a beta version anymore...

That is strange. For me (for the most part) it works for DCI and 16:9 resolutions.

I just tried to put together a short video showing this and I actually started to see issues with it not working. But it does work sometimes.

I will do some testing later and try to figure out what is causing the different behavior. But it appears it can work under certain circumstances.

Earl Green

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 2:59 pm

Well I am stumped.

It was working as I stated above, then it wasn't working for some resolutions, then it stopped working for all resolutions.

I have reinstalled Beta 5 and it works as it always did.

I have restarted the machine, reinstalled 18.0.3 and reinstalled the Nvidia driver (express and clean install). I have done each of these multiple times.

It seems when I reinstall the driver and reboot it will work at first, then after using it and changing timeline resolutions, it stops working.

This is very strange. I will keep trying various things to see if I can isolate it, but I have really never seen such a random issue.

JBandeira

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 5:36 pm

Earl Green wrote:This is very strange. I will keep trying various things to see if I can isolate it, but I have really never seen such a random issue.

Same here. I managed to get a 16:9 resolution working immediately after a reboot and with a new project, but it soon stopped working with a crash. Sometimes DCI 17:9 will work, but after some time it gives me the dreaded black screen. Most of the time nothing will work. Too much randomness to be usable and, being in the middle of a couple of heavy projects, I'm afraid I'll have to go back to beta 5.

Earl Green

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 5:44 pm

So I have at least one behavior that appears repeatable.

After installing 18.0.3 a reboot is needed.

Upon opening Resolve it seems Depth Map will work with the same functionality as Beta 5 (non 16:9 timelines).

But, if Resolve is closed and then reopened, Depth Map will not work again. A system reboot will fix this and then the functionality returns. This is different than Beta 5 which could be opened and Depth Map used, closed and reopened and Depth Map would work again (I have tested this to verify).

As I say, with the small amount of testing I have done this appears to be repeatable.

Now I need to look into why it was working with 16:9 timelines for a period of time but then stopped.

Earl Green

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 10:48 pm

Well, I have not been able to repeat having Depth Map work for 16:9 timelines.

I can get it to work consistently for non 16:9 timelines (as long as I reboot the machine prior to opening Resolve).

I have tried most things I can think of. I have not tried anything "new" (things I have not done in the past when it did work) like a clean install of Resolve.

I am just guessing here but it seems like a configuration setting or something which gets altered. Part of the reason I think this is that doing a reboot allows you to use Depth Map upon first opening Resolve, but not reopening (assuming you use the Depth Map feature the first time it is opened).

Anyhow, I'll keep trying if I can think of anything or if anyone has suggestions, but for now it seems like this is the best I can manage.

Ivanvdw

PostMon Sep 26, 2022 11:33 am

Returning from vacation today, I installed the latest driver for my Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 TI (Version 517.40)
And by miracle Depth Map works but not on a timeline 16:9.
But when I close Resolve and restart it again, Depth Map doesn't work anymore, in any timeline setting.
But when I restart the computer Depth Map works again.
If I want to use Depth Map, I have to boot the PC before opening Resolve.
The solution seems to be imminent.

Fireniko

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 8:01 pm

Ivanvdw wrote:Returning from vacation today, I installed the latest driver for my Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 TI (Version 517.40)
And by miracle Depth Map works but not on a timeline 16:9.
But when I close Resolve and restart it again, Depth Map doesn't work anymore, in any timeline setting.
But when I restart the computer Depth Map works again.
If I want to use Depth Map, I have to boot the PC before opening Resolve.
The solution seems to be imminent.

hello everyone I also confirm the strange behavior of the latest release - the effect of the depth map depends on restarting the computer and first entering the program. You can open different projects in a row and apply the effect anywhere - everything will work, but you just have to close the program and run it again - in any project where everything worked a minute ago, it no longer works. And of course it only works for me with NOT 16:9 resolution.
I admit that there is some kind of complex problem with our video cards and this is probably not so critical, but who knows what the next release will bring, maybe users with other video cards will add to the problem, and the solution or even dive into the topic for a long time time didn't work.
Good luck everyone.
p.s. all these experiments led to a sad outcome - I eventually lost my database and at some point did not notice that the backup was also corrupted.
MSI GP75 9SD Leopard, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 32 GB DDR-4@3200MHz, Adata SX8200 2 TB system SSD, Adata SX8200 512 GB SSD,Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DDR-6, NVidia Studio Driver 517.40 , Windows 10 Pro
Resolve Studio 18.0.4

jamedia

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 9:44 pm

Depth Map not working on my PC (see set up in sig)

but it is working on the same ( a copy of) project on this laptop...
Dell Precision 7540
RAM 64GB
Win10 pro (64bit)
Intel UHD Graphics 360
NVIDIA Quadro RTX3000
www.JAmedia.uk

Earl Green

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 3:32 am

Just downloaded 18.0.4.

I did a VERY QUICK test.

It seems to be working for at least DCI, HD and UHD timelines. So 16:9 appears to work.

I also quit and reopened Resolve. It worked again.

I will need to more extensive testing tomorrow, this is very preliminary. But hopefully the issue has now been resolved.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 4:48 am

Earl

Can you give 18.0.4 a try?

Thanks
Shrinivas

JBandeira

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 9:26 am

I tested 18.0.4 (briefly) and it appears all common resolutions are now working properly.
Feels like Christmas.

Ivanvdw

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 12:06 pm

I just have Resolve 18.0.4 installed.
The first impression looks good in terms of Depth Map.
Initial tests show that Depth Map works, even in the 16:9 timeline.
Hopefully the solution is permanent
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve