Update : What is the best layout for editing Portrait Video?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

okiewardoyo

Update : What is the best layout for editing Portrait Video?

PostWed May 11, 2022 9:59 am

Dear community.
Most of my clients video are on Portrait mode for Social Media. Editing in regular timeline viewer is really pain. Is itpossible to make timeline viewer expandable to vertical without second monitor?
Thanks.

UPDATE (June 5) :
Builtin workspace added to Adobe Premiere Pro for Editing Portrait Video.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere ... p/12969823
Attachments
bbbb.jpg
bbbb.jpg (176.55 KiB) Viewed 6157 times
Last edited by okiewardoyo on Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Rick van den Berg

Re: What is the best layout for editing Portrait Video?

PostWed May 11, 2022 10:47 am

the fact that you can't adjust this to your liking is the very nature of resolve

okiewardoyo

PostWed May 11, 2022 12:07 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:the fact that you can't adjust this to your liking is the very nature of resolve

Thanks Rick, hopefully on next release, Resolve will have this feature.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.

Sven H

PostWed May 11, 2022 12:32 pm

I don't know if it works, but what if you rotate a second screen 90 degrees and use the video clean feed mode? Does Resolve support it that way?

jamedia

PostWed May 11, 2022 2:00 pm

okiewardoyo wrote:
Rick van den Berg wrote:the fact that you can't adjust this to your liking is the very nature of resolve

Why? It is far easier to rotate the phone to view landscape than work in vertical.

I have yet to find any humans (or any spicies for that matter) with one eye vertcally above the other. This is why TVs and monitors the world over are, now they are free of the CRT limits, all "wide" screen. Cinema was [mostly] always wide screen. So are mobile phone screens if you tilt them through 90 dergees.

I don't think Resolve will ever be designed for vertical video on phones when the they vast majority of the target audience uses landscape and that includes phone users.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

okiewardoyo

PostWed May 11, 2022 4:35 pm

Sven H wrote:I don't know if it works, but what if you rotate a second screen 90 degrees and use the video clean feed mode? Does Resolve support it that way?

Thanks sven, that is the crazy idea

okiewardoyo

PostWed May 11, 2022 4:37 pm

jamedia wrote:
okiewardoyo wrote:

Why? It is far easier to rotate the phone to view landscape than work in vertical.

I have yet to find any humans (or any spicies for that matter) with one eye vertcally above the other. This is why TVs and monitors the world over are, now they are free of the CRT limits, all "wide" screen. Cinema was [mostly] always wide screen. So are mobile phone screens if you tilt them through 90 dergees.

I don't think Resolve will ever be designed for vertical video on phones when the they vast majority of the target audience uses landscape and that includes phone users.

Thanks Jamedia, we'are the same. But this is reality. Almost all of people here shoot in portrait. Yes, it's in portrait. It is so annoying for me, but thats the reality.
And most crazyting is Instagram bring their tagline "mobile first", and most of their user are portrait video.

okiewardoyo

PostWed May 11, 2022 4:39 pm

jamedia wrote:

I think the better idea is allowing attach or detach 'monitor view' to the left of screen.

jamedia

PostWed May 11, 2022 4:48 pm

okiewardoyo wrote:Thanks Rick, hopefully on next release, Resolve will have this feature.

jamedia wrote:Why? It is far easier to rotate the phone to view landscape than work in vertical.

okiewardoyo wrote:Thanks Jamedia, we'are the same. But this is reality. Almost all of people here shoot in portrait. Yes, it's in portrait. It is so annoying for me, but thats the reality.
And most crazyting is Instagram bring their tagline "mobile first", and most of their user are portrait video.

There is a solution.... Use this https://www.motionvfx.com/store,mvertical,p2176.html and continue to use it along with Landscape video onthe same mix. Then they will get the picture :-)

I also use this other free one from MotionVFX https://www.motionvfx.com/store,project-1681,p3745.html
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

okiewardoyo

PostWed May 11, 2022 4:57 pm

jamedia wrote:
There is a solution.... Use this https://www.motionvfx.com/store,mvertical,p2176.html and continue to use it along with Landscape video onthe same mix. Then they will get the picture :-)

I also use this other free one from MotionVFX https://www.motionvfx.com/store,project-1681,p3745.html

:lol: Thanks jamedia, this is the craziest solution.

jamedia

PostWed May 11, 2022 5:04 pm

okiewardoyo wrote:
jamedia wrote:

:lol: Thanks jamedia, this is the craziest solution.

It is designed for using vertically shot video so it can be shown on ALL screens.
Vertical video only works on phones held vertically.
Landscape video works on ALL screens.

BTW a lot of my video ends up on social media one way and aother. it is ALL landscape.
Where doesn't Landscape work?

I note when searching "watching video on a phone" 99% of the results show a landscape phone. YOur people may need a bit of a re-think?
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=watching+video+on+a+phone&atb=v296-1&iax=images&ia=images
www.JAmedia.uk

Alex Silva

PostWed May 11, 2022 6:34 pm

People should use the video as they see fit. Portrait video is better to show a full person , a high building or any situation where the information is larger in height than side.
In photography you have photos in landscape and portrait. We can go even further and go to painting we also have portrait and landscape.
Video also pretend to reproduce reality so should have landscape and portrait. Resolve as video editor should be able to do both.

And it is called DaVinci Resolve. One of most famous world paitings Mona Lisa which the author is Leonardo da Vinci is in portrait...

jamedia

PostWed May 11, 2022 6:37 pm

Alex Silva wrote:People should use the video as they see fit. Portrait video is better to show a full person , a high building or any situation where the information is larger in height than side.

So how do you disply that video in a world where all the screens are Landscape or square? Especially where that one shot of the full person or skyscraper is in with a lot of other video that is landscape?

Photography and paintings are still images. A single frame. Video isn't.
www.JAmedia.uk

okiewardoyo

PostWed May 11, 2022 6:42 pm

Alex Silva wrote:People should use the video as they see fit. Portrait video is better to show a full person , a high building or any situation where the information is larger in height than side.
In photography you have photos in landscape and portrait. We can go even further and go to painting we also have portrait and landscape.
Video also pretend to reproduce reality so should have landscape and portrait. Resolve as video editor should be able to do both.

And it is called DaVinci Resolve. One of most famous world paitings Mona Lisa which the author is Leonardo da Vinci is in portrait...

Thanks Alex. Social Media changes the world, including to videography. I'm shocking that all of people prefer shoot their AMATEUR footage in portrait rather than landscape. Some films in IG and Tiktok using portrait.
The most shocking thing is IG campaign their new tagline "mobile first". :lol: :lol: :lol:

okiewardoyo

PostWed May 11, 2022 6:45 pm

jamedia wrote:

So how do you disply that video in a world where all the screens are Landscape or square? Especially where that one shot of the full person or skyscraper is in with a lot of other video that is landscape?

Hi jame, it's rather funny. But in here , Indonesia, almost all of people i find using portrait for their video (social media). Youtube short, IG, TIKTOK, and many more.
Yes, it portrait. Not landscape. I think this social media changes the videography world.
When i edit video for them using landscape, they refuse it. :lol:

jamedia

PostWed May 11, 2022 6:53 pm

okiewardoyo wrote:Hi jame, it's rather funny. But in here , Indonesia, almost all of people i find using portrait for their video (social media). Youtube short, IG, TIKTOK, and many more.
Yes, it portrait. Not landscape. I think this social media changes the videography world.
When i edit video for them using landscape, they refuse it. :lol:

Ask them how many of their TV's, computer screens and cinema screens are portrait? :-)
Even their phones are landscape.....
www.JAmedia.uk

xunile

PostWed May 11, 2022 7:27 pm

There are around 1 billion active tiktok users, and they watch tiktok videos vertically, so it is a huge market. I personally dislike the format, but I am not one of their target demographic.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

jamedia

PostWed May 11, 2022 7:43 pm

xunile wrote:There are around 1 billion active tiktok users, and they watch tiktok videos vertically, so it is a huge market. I personally dislike the format, but I am not one of their target demographic.

Point taken. Apart from TikTok Users who watch video on a landscape screen they turn sideways no one else really uses portrait.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't tiktok less then 60 second videos? In fact that is only a recent move and they were 15 seconds?
I don't tink that Resolve is the right NLE for that?

I think as most are filmed on phones and in that format there are likly to be other much lighter NLEs that would be more suited? Also BMD are not going to sell cameras to TikTok video producers?

Looking at your first post..... you have the answer. You need a second monitor. I can't see any other sensible way around it.
www.JAmedia.uk

Gordonjcp

PostWed May 11, 2022 8:04 pm

It depends what you want to do. What would you use to throw together a 15-second composition-heavy clip with loads of cool effects?

Phone apps seem to be popular for editing Tiktok "edits" where the idea seems to be you grab very short clips - typically 15 frames or less - from a popular TV series, trimmed to fit the beat of a short musical clip sampled from something, and stick on distinctive effects and transitions. I understand it's a bit like scrapbooking but with video. I personally don't care for it, but "the customer is always right" I guess. Anyway according to our teenager the weapon of choice is either an Android app called "CapCut", or a pirate copy of AfterEffects. Some people use Resolve but it hasn't really landed yet, presumably because you need a half decent machine to even get it to start up.

Anyway, spread across the world, some of these kids doing silly Tiktok videos are the Kevin Smiths and John Carpenters and Peter Jacksons of tomorrow, and if their medium is portrait-format video because that's what their friends watch, that's what they'll make.

Alex Silva

PostWed May 11, 2022 9:14 pm

jamedia wrote:

I think some TV's , monitors will have a mount with 90º. Some hardware like monitors for digital art already have that capabiility.

For example this Asus Pro Art displays have a 90º pivot. Notice the application they shown with it ;)
https://www.asus.com/us/Displays-Deskto ... A32UCX-PK/
or this much cheaper one
https://www.asus.com/us/Displays-Deskto ... y-PA278QV/

jamedia

PostWed May 11, 2022 10:00 pm

very very few TVs and few monitors have a portrait mount.
The number actually used in a configuration that is anything but normal landscape is fewer still.

Though with VESA mounts you can mount screens at 90,180 or 270 degrees but that would be a permenant mount not a swivel..
Last edited by jamedia on Thu May 12, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.JAmedia.uk

Alex Silva

PostThu May 12, 2022 1:37 am

jamedia wrote:very very few TVs and few monitors have a portrait mount.
(Though with VESA mounts you can mount screens at 90,180 or 270 degrees.)

The number actually used in a configuration that is anything but normal landscape is fewer still.

I agree, but can change.

Uli Plank

PostThu May 12, 2022 1:43 am

I'd suggest Luma Fusion. And then, there's "Video LUT". Other than the name suggests, it's color grading for iPhone and iPad. These two can get you pretty far. And your target group will find it so cool that you produce on such devices.
BTW, living part-time in Indonesia, the typical living room scene is this: the TV is running on the wall as background noise, while everybody is staring at their phone. TV is not dead here, it just smells funny (to cite Frank Zappa, even if he was referring to jazz).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

okiewardoyo

PostThu May 12, 2022 6:35 am

Uli Plank wrote:I'd suggest Luma Fusion. And then, there's "Video LUT". Other than the name suggests, it's color grading for iPhone and iPad. These two can get you pretty far. And your target group will find it so cool that you produce on such devices.
BTW, living part-time in Indonesia, the typical living room scene is this: the TV is running on the wall as background noise, while everybody is staring at their phone. TV is not dead here, it just smells funny (to cite Frank Zappa, even if he was referring to jazz).

Thanks Uli, hi by the way, where is your wife coming from? jakarta, semarang, surabaya?

Gordonjcp

PostThu May 12, 2022 7:52 am

Though with VESA mounts you can mount screens at 90,180 or 270 degrees but that would be a permenant mount not a swivel..

We mount most of our screens that are used as information boards in portrait format but that's obviously a different application. People don't read landscape-format posters and they don't read landscape-format information screens.

There's probably a decent university thesis in that for someone.

jamedia

PostThu May 12, 2022 8:40 am

Gordonjcp wrote:

We mount most of our screens that are used as information boards in portrait format but that's obviously a different application. People don't read landscape-format posters and they don't read landscape-format information screens.

There's probably a decent university thesis in that for someone.

There will be a lot of papers on mounting screens.

My local theatres uses both horizontal and vertical.
However the horizontal are used for video advertising and trailers.

The vertical are used for lists of up coming show dates and the show "posters" It seems that the paper posters are no more. they don't print them but just display them on a screen. 99% of these are static and simply the same as a paper posted. I expect animations will creep in.

At the railway stations again they use both vertical and horizontal. The vertical are used for lists of departures/arrivals. The horizontal are also used for this and showing video adverts

So both are in use but AFAICS the vertical ones are used to replace what would have been paper information boards or list displays. This is generaly "static" information. They aren't (or very rarely) used for video.

That said Resolve does have a set up for editing vertical video. The OP's problem is the UI layout assumes that people, well the vast majority, will be producing horizontal video. So the ergonomics work for a horizontal video but not a verticval one (on a medium/small scrreen) The only answer to the OP is to use a second (or third) screen with a Cleen Feed
www.JAmedia.uk

Uli Plank

PostThu May 12, 2022 8:52 am

@Okie
Since your PMs are inactive, I’ll answer here: she’s from Bandung – also called creative city.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

eikonoklastes

PostThu May 12, 2022 11:15 am

jamedia wrote:You need a second monitor. I can't see any other sensible way around it.

The sensible way, is for Resolve to let us customise the UI to our needs, and not have it dictate what aspect ratios we should be using.

Side note: Your assumption of how people view video on their phones seems to be increasingly false:
https://www.webmarketingpros.com/75-of-mobile-millennial-consumers-now-watch-videos-in-vertical-mode/

Whether we agree with this or not is irrelevant, it is what it is.

jamedia

PostThu May 12, 2022 11:45 am

eikonoklastes wrote:
jamedia wrote:You need a second monitor. I can't see any other sensible way around it.

The sensible way, is for Resolve to let us customise the UI to our needs, and not have it dictate what aspect ratios we should be using..

Wow! Triggered!!
Meanwhile back in reality Resolve DOES have a setting for vertical video already in V17 (not looked before that) as well as several other common ratios. So Resolve already does what you want.
In any case there is nothing to stop you doing custom ones. The UI is set up for what the vast majority 99.999% of users need.

The vertical video has only started to become a thing in the last few years when the uneducated used their phones vertically as a video camera.

BTW I have yet to see a laptop with a vertical screen and it is very very rare that I see a desktop with a vertical screen.

eikonoklastes wrote: Side note: Your assumption of how people view video on their phones seems to be increasingly false:
https://www.webmarketingpros.com/75-of-mobile-millennial-consumers-now-watch-videos-in-vertical-mode/
Whether we agree with this or not is irrelevant, it is what it is.

What you are saying is 3/4 of one demographic when watching vertical videos on their phones watch them vertically because the video is shot vertically on phones and because of their inabillity to turn a hand held device through 90%.

Humans (and most other speices work on a horizontal wide format. Two eye side by side. Despite the polularity of smart phones over the last 15 years (or less) and vertical video in the last few years I can't see the vertical format lasting. As you will remember myspace and BeBo were going to talke over the world untill Facebook showed up. It only needs something bright and shiny and the masses will move on from 15 second vertical video on tikTok.
www.JAmedia.uk

eikonoklastes

PostThu May 12, 2022 12:08 pm

jamedia wrote:DOES have a setting for vertical video already in V17 (not looked before that) as well as several other common ratios. So Resolve already does what you want.

I think you might have misunderstood the feature request. It's for Resolve to allow us to have a tall Source/Timeline viewer. It currently does not.

This is what a modern app's UI allows us to do. The default layout was not like that, and it took me 3 seconds to make it like that.

jamedia wrote:Humans (and most other speices work on a horizontal wide format. Two eye side by side.
You keep on about this. Nobody is debating this. Everyone (I hope) agrees with this. That doesn't stop people from wanting non-standard aspect ratios, and the tools we use to create video should not attempt to.

jamedia wrote:Wow! Triggered!!
I'm nearly 43, so if you could tone down the entirely unnecessary bile, that'd be great, man. This absurdly snide jab (that I can only assume translates to "take that, millennial!") only furthers the notion that our generation is a bunch of out-of-touch, feeble boomers, best left to our own devices, while the rest of the world moves on. Don't be that guy.

jamedia

PostThu May 12, 2022 12:30 pm

eikonoklastes wrote:
jamedia wrote:Wow! Triggered!!
I'm nearly 43, so if you could tone down the entirely unnecessary bile, that'd be great, man. This absurdly snide jab (that I can only assume translates to "take that, millennial!") only furthers the notion that our generation is a bunch of out-of-touch, feeble boomers, best left to our own devices, while the rest of the world moves on. Don't be that guy.

You said
eikonoklastes wrote:

The sensible way, is for Resolve to let us customise the UI to our needs, and not have it dictate what aspect ratios we should be using..

They don't say what you "should" be using and have a preset for vertical video already indeed for any format you like. You are ranting about something that is not happening. Also I am fairly sure you can move the windows around and save that as a preset.

I am not a reaolve fanboy and do critisize BMD (a lot) but in this case I don't thinkthere is a case.

Vertical video is shot on phones by ametures, who can't tuen a hand held device throup 90 degrees, to be consumed similar people on phones who also can't tuen a phone through 90 degrees.

In time they will understand why most video is horizontal. At least well before humand develop one eye on top of the other. Vertical video is a fad (I know a dangerous thing to say) but I don't think it will last especially as phones can very easily shoot and display horizontally.

On most social media you can upoload horizontal video. It only needs the "next big thing" in social media to say we want horizontal video and vertical video will be gone in weeks.
www.JAmedia.uk

eikonoklastes

PostThu May 12, 2022 12:40 pm

jamedia wrote:They don't say what you "should" be using and have a preset for vertical video already indeed for any format you like. You are ranting about something that is not happening.

Again, the request is about manipulating the UI to allow for a better layout when working with tall video, not whether Resolves allows you to create portrait videos or not.

jamedia wrote:Also I am fairly sure you can move the windows around and save that as a preset.

Not in the way I've screenshot above, you cannot.

In any event, this seems to be a matter of close personal interest to you, evoking far more emotion than warranted, so I'm going to back out of this conversation. I believe both our points have been put across exhaustively. My vote for a more flexible UI stands. Cheers!

Alex Silva

PostThu May 12, 2022 3:12 pm

jamedia wrote:
I am not a reaolve fanboy and do critisize BMD (a lot) but in this case I don't thinkthere is a case.

Vertical video is shot on phones by ametures, who can't tuen a hand held device throup 90 degrees, to be consumed similar people on phones who also can't tuen a phone through 90 degrees.

In time they will understand why most video is horizontal. At least well before humand develop one eye on top of the other. Vertical video is a fad (I know a dangerous thing to say) but I don't think it will last especially as phones can very easily shoot and display horizontally.

With that attitude NLE video editors would never been born, heck not even video... I already told you that human representation since we exist occur either in portrait and landscape mode regardless of our eye position.
You seem unable to factor that sometimes the subject is the driver of that choice, not the medium or physical characteristics of the viewer.

peterjackson

PostFri May 13, 2022 6:57 am

5:4 is what Instagram people use.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

jamedia

PostFri May 13, 2022 8:16 am

Alex Silva wrote:]
With that attitude NLE video editors would never been born, heck not even video... I already told you that human representation since we exist occur either in portrait and landscape mode regardless of our eye position.
You seem unable to factor that sometimes the subject is the driver of that choice, not the medium or physical characteristics of the viewer.

Your logic is flawed and just because "I already told you" something incorrect repeating it does not make it any more correct..
www.JAmedia.uk

peterjackson

PostFri May 13, 2022 8:31 am

What stupid direction soms threads go. Have a beer, guys.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

okiewardoyo

PostFri May 13, 2022 9:13 am

Dear all, thank for replying.
I'm sorry, this not debating of portrait or landscape shoot. Well, actually, almost all of people here prefer portrait shoot, how to make DR workspace/layout for flexibility for editing in portrait.
I have tried many times but i can not figureout.
The example is like this one :
Attachments
Flexibility of Workspace.jpg
Flexibility of Workspace.jpg (297.89 KiB) Viewed 5253 times

Tom Early

PostFri May 13, 2022 12:45 pm

okiewardoyo wrote:Dear all, thank for replying.
I'm sorry, this not debating of portrait or landscape shoot. Well, actually, almost all of people here prefer portrait shoot, how to make DR workspace/layout for flexibility for editing in portrait.
I have tried many times but i can not figureout.
The example is like this one :

Since you are editing, I would think that the timeline should have priority in terms of space, so I'd go with the standard layout, and just adjust the Media Pool margins to taste. If the source Is 16:9 then it might be worth doing the edit in 16:9 first so you are not distracted by framing concerns. Then later on when doing positioning, if you need to get fancy with keyframes I'd recommend Fusion over the Edit page; Fusion even has the ability to switch the layout to what you show there. If the sources are all 9:16 then this won't be an issue.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Nick2021

PostFri May 13, 2022 4:36 pm

okiewardoyo wrote:Thanks Alex. Social Media changes the world, including to videography. I'm shocking that all of people prefer shoot their AMATEUR footage in portrait rather than landscape. :

One day three tourists asked me to take their photo. They hand the phone. I turn it to landscape. Hey three of them. They look at each other. Can you do that? Turn the phone :o

The funny thing is they turned the phone back to look at the image. :roll:

I kid you not. People use portrait in part because they don't even know you can turn the phone.

Uli Plank

PostFri May 13, 2022 10:53 pm

They have probably never used a camera before.

jamedia

PostSat May 14, 2022 8:13 am

Nick2021 wrote:
okiewardoyo wrote:Thanks Alex. Social Media changes the world, including to videography. I'm shocking that all of people prefer shoot their AMATEUR footage in portrait rather than landscape. :

One day three tourists asked me to take their photo. They hand the phone. I turn it to landscape. Hey three of them. They look at each other. Can you do that? Turn the phone :o

The funny thing is they turned the phone back to look at the image. :roll:

I kid you not. People use portrait in part because they don't even know you can turn the phone.

This is why I think it will only be a short lived fad. As these users progress they will find that horizontal is a far better format.
There are also several systems for converting vertical phone video to be used on a horizontal screen. At the moment, outside facebook and TikTok, is there any where that vertical video is used?
www.JAmedia.uk

Rick van den Berg

PostSat May 14, 2022 8:53 pm

these discussions are the result of not having a more flexible layout. I never really edit portrait videos, but i could use a bigger/extra multicam viewer, for example. I don't get that "you don't want that" argument by the way. We live in 2022, people shot a video on mars not too long ago. it shouldn't be that hard to make this a little more flexible. I'll have a beer now as suggested by peter. cheers

jamedia

PostSun May 15, 2022 8:30 am

Rick van den Berg wrote:these discussions are the result of not having a more flexible layout.on mars not too long ago. it shouldn't be that hard to make this a little more flexible. I'll have a beer now as suggested by peter. cheers

I don't thing the layout is inflexible. The problem is the OP wants to use a layout that only a very small minority want to use. That is short vertiocal video edited on a small single screen. If the OP used a second screen, turned to Portrait and the Resolve Cleen feed to it the problem would be solved.

I susspect that if Resolve put this new feature on their list of things to do, by the time they were in a position to do it (bearing in mind most other features requested are wanted by far more people) I think the requirement for editing verical video on a single small horizontal screen would have gone away.

Asside from the whole vertical /horizontal debate the OP's problem is he has added adidtional constraints of one small horizontal screen. With a second screen therer is not problem. With a large (27inch?) single screen there is no problem.
The problem is the screen the OP is using is inappropreatre for the format of video he is doing.

Bare in in mind that 99.999% of the viewers of these videos will be usuing 5 inch screens.

So get a scond screen for doing vertical video.

Or wait untill Resolve gets areound to adding a featire for a small minority of people.
(who probalby won't exist when they get to it)
www.JAmedia.uk

jamedia

PostSun May 15, 2022 9:03 am

Video also pretend to reproduce reality so should have landscape and portrait. Resolve as video editor should be able to do both..

Resolve DOES let you do both your argument should be with TickTok that forces users to only use vertical. The fault is not with Resolve but TikTok that does not give the option.
Last edited by jamedia on Sun May 15, 2022 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.JAmedia.uk

peterjackson

PostSun May 15, 2022 9:03 am

jamedia wrote:Or wait untill Resolve gets areound to adding a featire for a small minority of people.

I'm sick and tired of so called pro users jumping on each and every feature request just to say how unnecessary it is and that other things are far more import. Plain ignorant and arrogant. Like a small child fearing that someone might take their toy away.

Get a life and realize that today pro users are a tiny fraction of Resolve user base that will only ever shrink in the future.
Last edited by peterjackson on Sun May 15, 2022 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

peterjackson

PostSun May 15, 2022 9:11 am

jamedia wrote:Resolve DOES let you do both your argument should be with TickTok that forces users to only use vertical. The fault is not with Resolve but TikTok that does not give the option.

I'm sorry to say, but the world evolves in whatever way it wants and it doesn't care about your personal opinion on what is right or wrong. If the world would care about your personal option this thread would not exist.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

jamedia

PostSun May 15, 2022 9:14 am

peterjackson wrote:
jamedia wrote:Or wait untill Resolve gets areound to adding a featire for a small minority of people.

I'm sick and tired of so called pro users jumping on each and every feature request just to say how unnecessary it is and that other things are far more import. Plain ignorant and arrogant.

Get a life and realize that today pro users are a tiny fraction of Resolve user base that will only ever shrink in the future.

You are arguing with the wrong people. You should be arguing with TikTok that only does vertical video.

I agree that the old school big studios are now the minor user group for Resolve compared to 5+ years ago. However in this case even semi-pro and amature film makers use Horizontal video. It is only the TikTok-Phone uers who shoot vertical (because of the restrictive pracitces of TikTok). In any case Resolve does let youy edit vertical video for TikTok already.
www.JAmedia.uk

jamedia

PostSun May 15, 2022 9:16 am

peterjackson wrote:
jamedia wrote:Resolve DOES let you do both your argument should be with TickTok that forces users to only use vertical. The fault is not with Resolve but TikTok that does not give the option.

I'm sorry to say, but the world evolves in whatever way it wants and it doesn't care about your personal opinion on what is right or wrong. If the world would care about your personal option this thread would not exist.

On the contrary no one cars about your opinion and I an not sorry to say that.

The problem is not Resolves. You can edit vertical video in resolve.
www.JAmedia.uk

peterjackson

PostSun May 15, 2022 9:17 am

jamedia wrote:
peterjackson wrote:

I'm sick and tired of so called pro users jumping on each and every feature request just to say how unnecessary it is and that other things are far more import. Plain ignorant and arrogant.

You are arguing with the wrong people. You should be arguing with TikTok that only does vertical video.

I agree that the old school big studios are now the minor user group for Resolve compared to 5+ years ago. However in this case even semi-pro and amature film makers use Horizontal video. It is only the TikTok-Phone uers who shoot vertical (because of the restrictive pracitces of TikTok). In any case Resolve does let youy edit vertical video for TikTok already.
See above. The world evolves in a certain way and it certainly doesn't ask for your permission todo so.

If you can't accept that, your personal problem.

Others can accept that and post feature requests on forums like this one to make their tools work better with the current state of the world.

How about you find something else todo in life other than jumping on such feature requests and using them as a catalyst for you personal issue of beeing unable to accept how the world has evolved and will evolve?
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

roger.magnusson

PostSun May 15, 2022 10:40 am

Anytime the user base is large enough, people will want to make videos and ads with high production value. Facebook, Instagram and TikTok. That's billions of users.

Yes, if you're making a movie or TV series you'd never use vertical video. But this is an entirely different media space where the normal rules aren't applicable. This doesn't take away previous knowledge or experience because the two aren't competing.

Vertical video is everywhere, including video wall ads. Someone has to produce them and why would BMD hold their users back? They will probably adjust eventually.
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve