Media Management alternatives

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BrucePPV

Media Management alternatives

PostSun May 15, 2022 8:47 pm

I need to free up disc space by archiving old projects, but every time I try the Media Management function, it fails. It doesn't matter which project I'm trying to archive... it fails. No reason given, either. So I feel like giving up on the Media Manager that's part of Resolve. So I have a couple of questions:
1. (Preferred) Does anyone have recommendations for a different Media Manager that will archive my projects?
2. Can I just move my folders (for my scratch discs, cache, proxies, etc that I'd set in my Project Settings) to my external drive then move them back to my internal drive should I need to work on them again?
Thanks!

DavidVogt

Re: Media Management alternatives

PostMon May 16, 2022 12:27 am

Yes, that will work fine. I make a master folder for each project and put everything related to that project into it, including additional assets like scripts. You will need to copy your camera originals into it as well, if they weren’t originally there. Recovering the project for rework is an easy copy back to your work hd and relinking the camera originals.
Mac Studio ultra
Monterey 12.4
128 GB ram
2 TB SSD
48 TB HD disc storage, multiple RAIDS

Marc Wielage

PostMon May 16, 2022 9:30 am

Some Media Management tips:

1) limit your session to just the files you actually have (that is, make sure nothing is missing)

2) Render-in-Place all H.264, JPG, TIFF, and PNG graphics clips to ProRes so now the clips have embedded timecode and (preferably) unique file names

3) for camera clips with embedded audio, my opinion is you're better off if you strip the sound out as a WAV file that lives in the session

4) be aware that Titles can be a bit dodgy and don't always survive the changeover with Media Management. (I would say the same thing with Fusion sequences, which I would render out and treat as a separate transcoded element).

The simpler you make your session, the better the potential for Media Management. The moment you have a filename clash or a timecode problem, it can fail. If your file copying is failing for another reason, try Nikolai Waldman's Resolve Collect and I bet it'll get you at least 98% there without errors. His program has been a lifesaver for me over the last 6-7 years.

http://www.niwa.nu/resolve-collect/

Another possibility (which I haven't tried) is EDLSpy for Windows:

http://edlspy.felixhuesken.de/
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostMon May 16, 2022 2:26 pm

Here's my practice.

1. Copy the full media card to an external drive as a backup.
2. Copy the full media card to an internal Media drive for editing.
3. Edit.
4. Get written client approval.
5. Delete the media from the internal Media drive.

I keep media for three years, then reuse the externals. That can vary depending on your business needs, but I think steps 1-5 should be there regardless.

Seems like you skipped Step 1, so do that now using a file manager like Windows Explorer or Finder, and then do 4 and 5.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostTue May 17, 2022 7:26 am

Jim Simon wrote:Here's my practice.

1. Copy the full media card to an external drive as a backup.
2. Copy the full media card to an internal Media drive for editing.
3. Edit.
4. Get written client approval.
5. Delete the media from the internal Media drive.

I keep media for three years, then reuse the externals. That can vary depending on your business needs, but I think steps 1-5 should be there regardless.

Seems like you skipped Step 1, so do that now using a file manager like Windows Explorer or Finder, and then do 4 and 5.

Yes to all of this. But we do all that prior to Media Management. Ideally, by the time we do the actual session, it IS Media Management. We don't have the space to save stuff for 3 years, but we do generally save it for 1 years (though our client agreement only guarantees 90 days after approval and wrap).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostTue May 17, 2022 2:27 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:we do all that prior to Media Management.
If you're doing all that, you don't need Media Management. It's already handled with those steps.

Sooo...what are you using MM for?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve