Compound clip is behaving strange...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

paul999

Compound clip is behaving strange...

PostMon May 16, 2022 4:47 pm

Hi,
I'm new to Resolve and I'm trying to overlay and animate a 'white rectangle with black text' on top of a video clip. I added a 'solid color' generator to the timeline on top of the video clip in the edit page and then a 'basic text' on top of the generator and combined the generator and text into a compound clip. Then in the color page I selected the compound clip and added a power window to it to mask the compound clip to the shape I wanted. So far all went fine but when I key-framed the compound clip to animate it the color generator within the compound clip moves about just fine however the text does not. If both the generator and the text are nested inside the compound clip why is it that the text won't move when the compound clip is animated but the solid color generator does?

I'm sure that the fusion page has a superior way of applying masks but I have yet to learn how to use the fusion page and it would be nice if I could just use the power windows in the color page for now. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

xunile

Re: Compound clip is behaving strange...

PostMon May 16, 2022 5:06 pm

It works for me. Can you post a screenshot of your Edit page showing the issue?
Attachments
2022-05-16.jpg
2022-05-16.jpg (290.86 KiB) Viewed 911 times
2022-05-16 (1).jpg
2022-05-16 (1).jpg (291.93 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

GalinMcMahon

PostMon May 16, 2022 5:58 pm

Are you going to the color page on the compound clip or just the bottom layer of the two layers? It sounds like you may have opened the clip in timeline. Your steps as described would give you the result you're looking for so we'd need to see what you're missing. As xunile mentioned, some screen grabs would help us help you.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

paul999

PostTue May 17, 2022 2:50 am

Thanks guys for the replies,

I'm going into the color page from the main timeline and selecting the compound clip from there. But think I understand now what's happening. I have key-framed the power window mask to move upward so that it follows the tape ejecting from the VCR in the video clip (screengrabs below). And while the mask is animating fine it is not bringing the compound clip (that it is applied to) with it. Im trying to do in resolve what I would normally do in Premiere Pro without realizing that power windows work differently. My bad. Unless of course there is a way to move the compound clip with the power window?

Basically I am trying to create a white VHS tape label with text that appears to be on the tape as it ejects from the VCR but I have yet to grasp how to do this in Resolve. The first screengrab shows the tape fully ejected and the second one shows it partially ejected. As you can see in the second one the mask moves but the compound clip remains stationary.

paul999

PostTue May 17, 2022 5:50 pm

Hi guys,
No worries, I had some spare time this morning to start learning Fusion and found out how to successfully apply a mask and animate it using the nodes. I have to admit it was a lot more straightforward than I thought it would be and the Fusion page reminds me a lot of Apple's old compositing program Shake. Looking forward to learning more. Thanks again for your input.

GalinMcMahon

PostTue May 17, 2022 7:34 pm

Looks like you're on the right track. Good job getting a handle on Fusion so quickly. Before you know it, you'll want to do everything in Fusion!
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Return to DaVinci Resolve