Fusion Shapes Have Soft Edges

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mplover

Fusion Shapes Have Soft Edges

PostTue May 17, 2022 2:18 pm

I'm in the process of building out some complex animated graphics for sporting event results, but I've noticed that the rectangles I'm generating in fusion have a weirdly soft edge. The rectangle is completely sized using the Width and Height adjustments on the rectangle. Any transforms downstream are used to just reposition/animate it.

The weird result I'm getting here is that when I try to line up several of these rectangles next to each other, there's either a small gap in between or a small overlap since the edge seems to have some basic softness to it. This is particularly noticeable since my rectangles are partially transparent. See the image below.

The left side is a direct look at the node. The right side shows the gaps between the rectangles. Is there a way to fix this? In particular, is there a way to get a hard edge? I've noticed this with most of the shapes I've worked with.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 10.17.05.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 10.17.05.png (70.76 KiB) Viewed 417 times

mplover

Re: Fusion Shapes Have Soft Edges

PostTue May 17, 2022 2:24 pm

So on an initial inspection and some tinkering in the last couple of minutes. It seems like it has to do with the number of decimal places that can be used when positioning/sizing with Center X/Y and Width/Height. The positioning/sizing has more resolution than the actual image produced allowing the shapes boundaries to sit between pixels. As a result, Fusion tries to anti-alias the shape.

Is there a way to force fusion to snap to pixel edges instead of having this added resolution?

Thanks!

Jim Simon

Re: Fusion Shapes Have Soft Edges

PostWed May 18, 2022 10:14 pm

Type the numbers so they're specific?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve