Resolve delivering ungraded footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Simon73

Resolve delivering ungraded footage

PostTue May 17, 2022 7:57 pm

I have been having issues with delivery exports. I imported a XML from FCPX, graded the footage, and then tried to export it out through the delivery page, but every time, it exports as log footage. I'm incredibly confused with what is going on. I have done a number of exports in Davinci with out a hitch, but nothing seems to be working. Note: I did disable "Enable Flat Pass". Attached are my project settings, and the image before grade, after grade, and the export. thank you in advance for your help!
Attachments
Davinci issue.jpg
Davinci issue.jpg (129.76 KiB) Viewed 708 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve delivering ungraded footage

PostWed May 18, 2022 1:29 am

-Note: I did disable "Enable Flat Pass"-

so "Enable Flat Pass" is off?

why did you pick rec 2020 scene?
what are you monitoring the result on? OS and browser/player?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Simon73

PostWed May 18, 2022 2:22 pm

Thanks for the reply, Peter.

so "Enable Flat Pass" is off?
Yes, "Enable Flat Pass" is off.

why did you pick rec 2020 scene?
I've tried a number of different output color space options

what are you monitoring the result on? OS and browser/player?
I'm working on a MacBookPro M1 2021 Monterey, with a LG UD68P monitor, and I've used QT, VLC with the same results.

I did misspeak about "log footage". I just looks like log footage. The export settings are H264, but I have also exported to ProRes 422 with same results.

Thank for your help.

Jim Simon

PostWed May 18, 2022 10:06 pm

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Simon73

PostFri May 20, 2022 2:33 pm

Thanks for this Jim, however. It's not a view issue that and I/O can fix. It seems like Resolve is kicking out the original RED footage.

Jim Simon

PostFri May 20, 2022 10:46 pm

Point is you need a proper viewing environment to know for sure.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostSat May 21, 2022 6:33 am

Simon73 wrote:I have been having issues with delivery exports. I imported a XML from FCPX, graded the footage, and then tried to export it out through the delivery page, but every time, it exports as log footage. I'm incredibly confused with what is going on. I have done a number of exports in Davinci with out a hitch, but nothing seems to be working. Note: I did disable "Enable Flat Pass". Attached are my project settings, and the image before grade, after grade, and the export. thank you in advance for your help!

What happens if you change the color management settings to SDR Rec 709 and the output settings to Rec709 and Gamma 2.4?

Also, just for test purposes, put a small piece of SMPTE color bars prior to the start of program, then export about 10 seconds or so and bring it back into the timeline, and see how it looks on scopes. If it precisely matches the timeline, then I'd say the render is fine and your monitoring has an issue.

It's dicey to try to try to judge anything on a MacBook Pro M1 Max XDR display (I'm staring at one right now), but it's not horrible if you select the "HD Video BT1886" preset, turn off "Automatically Adjust Brightness," turn off TrueTone, and turn off Night Shift. It's not ideal to color grade on, but it's not a terrible real-world display.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sven H

PostSun May 22, 2022 5:42 am

Can you show us your render settings? Also why Rec2020 (scene) have you tried HLG or PQ already? You know those settings are only tags and don't perform any color managment on their own. It looks like a tagging problem to me.

Simon73

PostMon May 23, 2022 6:56 pm

Thank you for all your responses. I've never had an issue with export and I don't think is a display issue. To be clear, I'm not grading on the M1. I'm grading on an LG UD68p. I know it's not ideal but I grade of my scopes mainly and again have never had this problem. It's very confusing that I would have red footage that I have graded but the export has none of my grade and it's as if it is reverting it back to log footage.

Marc, I tried to change the color management to SDR Rec 709 and output to Rec709 and Gamma 2.4 but it makes not difference.

Sven, I have attached my render settings. As for using Rec2020, I was just trying different things. I tried HLG but couldn't find PQ. However, no luck. Sorry, I'm not familiar with tag issues but I'll do some research.

Thanks again from your responses.
Attachments
RenderSettings.jpg
RenderSettings.jpg (99.07 KiB) Viewed 451 times

Sven H

PostSun Jun 12, 2022 1:34 pm

Simon73 wrote:Thank you for all your responses. I've never had an issue with export and I don't think is a display issue. To be clear, I'm not grading on the M1. I'm grading on an LG UD68p. I know it's not ideal but I grade of my scopes mainly and again have never had this problem. It's very confusing that I would have red footage that I have graded but the export has none of my grade and it's as if it is reverting it back to log footage.

Marc, I tried to change the color management to SDR Rec 709 and output to Rec709 and Gamma 2.4 but it makes not difference.

Sven, I have attached my render settings. As for using Rec2020, I was just trying different things. I tried HLG but couldn't find PQ. However, no luck. Sorry, I'm not familiar with tag issues but I'll do some research.

Thanks again from your responses.

How are you evaluating the render? Do you use quicktime player or resolve? You can find PQ in resolve as St.2048 (1000 nits, 2000.. etc.). PQ looks really flat (like log) viewed in sdr. As of now I can't figure out what the problem is yet, but before I continue, have you already solved the issue?

Return to DaVinci Resolve