Laggy Resolve performance and playback

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

KierreKikkeli

Laggy Resolve performance and playback

PostWed May 18, 2022 2:57 am

In short, why is my Davinci Resolve Playback rendering, and everything else so god damn slow and laggy, when it's barely even using my pc specs to it's fullest, but at 5-45% of cpu ram and gpu?

GPU Asus Rog Strix 1080
Cpu Ryzen 3600
Ram 32GB 3000mhz
Drive Samsung 970 Pro & 870 Evo
Mobo Asrock A320M ITX

Also on the Studio version
Attachments
image_2022-05-18_055425816.png
image_2022-05-18_055425816.png (163.66 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
image_2022-05-18_054210420.png
image_2022-05-18_054210420.png (65.7 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Last edited by KierreKikkeli on Thu May 19, 2022 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
KierreKikkeli
Professional Jack Of All Trades
Resolve Studio

KierreKikkeli

Re: Laggy Resolve performance and playback

PostWed May 18, 2022 2:58 am

Also the footage im working with is irrelevant, the question im having is why isn't the program using my pc specs when it clearly has a lot of head room
KierreKikkeli
Resolve Studio

Uli Plank

PostWed May 18, 2022 4:39 am

Free or Studio? Which codec?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

peterjackson

PostWed May 18, 2022 5:30 am

Use Hwinfo, not task manager ;)
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 18, 2022 6:59 am

Most processes in Resolve are multiple threaded, multi-core and multiple GPU so Resolve uses all the resources it can but there are 100 variables.
If you are on the free version or the studio version with some GPUs then you cant get the benefit of the hardware decoder chip in the GPU to decode some flavors of h264/265. The fallback is a software only process which is not as efficient.

If you have DNxHR source clips and render to DNxHR from and to your locally attached SSD, all at UHD res on a UHD timeline @24fps.. the speed of the renders will provide a reference. Then work from there.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Uli Plank

PostWed May 18, 2022 7:49 am

KierreKikkeli wrote:Also the footage im working with is irrelevant, …

It’s not.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Kinetic-Image

PostWed May 18, 2022 8:56 am

I have exactly the same... all worked fine but can't even play an audio file without it stopping... I think it happened after the big Windows update that recently came in...

KierreKikkeli

PostThu May 19, 2022 12:54 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Most processes in Resolve are multiple threaded, multi-core and multiple GPU so Resolve uses all the resources it can but there are 100 variables.
If you are on the free version or the studio version with some GPUs then you cant get the benefit of the hardware decoder chip in the GPU to decode some flavors of h264/265. The fallback is a software only process which is not as efficient.

If you have DNxHR source clips and render to DNxHR from and to your locally attached SSD, all at UHD res on a UHD timeline @24fps.. the speed of the renders will provide a reference. Then work from there.

Doesn\t really matter what format and fps im running, b e it 720p 24fps or 4K 60fps h264&h265 mp4, mkv, mov or raw files, same situation when i create DNx whatever res optimized media
KierreKikkeli
Resolve Studio

KierreKikkeli

PostThu May 19, 2022 12:55 am

peterjackson wrote:Use Hwinfo, not task manager ;)

I do, roughly the same numbers, been working on it for a few companies and interested in it for a decade+
KierreKikkeli
Resolve Studio

KierreKikkeli

PostThu May 19, 2022 12:56 am

Uli Plank wrote:
KierreKikkeli wrote:Also the footage im working with is irrelevant, …

It’s not.

If they all have the same performance result it is.
KierreKikkeli
Resolve Studio

KierreKikkeli

PostThu May 19, 2022 12:57 am

Kinetic-Image wrote:I have exactly the same... all worked fine but can't even play an audio file without it stopping... I think it happened after the big Windows update that recently came in...

I don't have it that, bad it's been like this for a few years now, im just getting majorly annoyed at it at this point as my edits are starting to need more and more resources while they are available and the program refuses to use em
KierreKikkeli
Resolve Studio

KierreKikkeli

PostThu May 19, 2022 1:10 am

Also just to clarify, im not having throttling issues with x footage and or codecs, im having issues with leftover headroom in processing power of 60-70%, it doesn't matter what i do within the program the result stays the same, no matter how much i load it from what point and with what, it won't use the resources available to it, which annoys me a massive **** ton as it slows down my workflow in either 10fps playback or constantly making render in place clips, and no, im not using render cache as i simply dont have time to wait around for it to load, instead i've noticed it to be faster to just render in place whatever is beyond the resolve's handling capacity
KierreKikkeli
Resolve Studio

John Paines

PostThu May 19, 2022 1:38 am

Lesser machines manage real-time playback in Resolve without issue, across a variety of codecs and resolutions. If you can't get real-time playback with *any* format, fps or resolution (before adding processor-intensive fx), then either your system suffers from some fatal defect or your project preferences are all wrong.

That's not much help, but what other explanation could there be?

KierreKikkeli

PostThu May 19, 2022 1:58 am

John Paines wrote:Lesser machines manage real-time playback in Resolve without issue, across a variety of codecs and resolutions. If you can't get real-time playback with *any* format, fps or resolution (before adding processor-intensive fx), then either your system suffers from some fatal defect or your project preferences are all wrong.

That's not much help, but what other explanation could there be?

Yeah i know, and my issue is that when i add intensive fx/sfx and or whatever else thats demanding all i get is at max 40% utilization on my ram gpu and cpu
KierreKikkeli
Resolve Studio

KierreKikkeli

PostThu May 19, 2022 2:01 am

Yeah i know, and my issue is that when i add intensive fx/sfx and or whatever else thats demanding all i get is at max 40% utilization on my ram gpu and cpu[/quote]

Compared to say something like VR where my gpu is at hands of 3D suffering and torture at 70-100% utilization
KierreKikkeli
Resolve Studio

John Paines

PostThu May 19, 2022 2:08 am

Those GPU/CPU readings, 40% or whatever, may not be accurate. There's an old benchmark test for Resolve which involves blurring and and NR, on successive nodes, available online (or used to be). You could try to find it and see how your system performs compared to others.

Or download the Puget Systems benchmarks, and compare the results to the performance of comparable systems.

KierreKikkeli

PostThu May 19, 2022 5:40 am

John Paines wrote:Those GPU/CPU readings, 40% or whatever, may not be accurate. There's an old benchmark test for Resolve which involves blurring and and NR, on successive nodes, available online (or used to be). You could try to find it and see how your system performs compared to others.

Or download the Puget Systems benchmarks, and compare the results to the performance of comparable systems.

My guess is that resolve will just not use the available headroom until they decide to update it to do so, which might be never, anyways gonna download the puget systems benchmark and see how it does
KierreKikkeli
Resolve Studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve