Using Media Management to trim and relink files - broken?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mattgoode

Using Media Management to trim and relink files - broken?

PostWed May 18, 2022 3:50 pm

Hi there. I'd finished up a video project for YouTube - a short 5 minutes of video with a combination of footage of myself, images, and text. The footage of myself was recorded in front of a green screen and chroma keyed in Resolve.

After finishing the project, I wanted to collect the media I used, trim any excess footage out to keep file sizes down, and then move it all to a new folder so I could store it away on a different drive.

To do this, I went to File > Media Management and selected Copy > "Used media and trim, keeping 60 frame handles". I also created a new folder on my desktop to copy these files to, and I had "Relink to new files" checked. I confirmed that the destination drive had plenty of space to store this media.

Now, upon opening the project, many of the video files that had been chroma keyed are now entirely black when played in the timeline (the files themselves are fine, albeit rotated 90 degrees). A few are still chroma keyed correctly, but rotated or transformed incorrectly. Images and text seem to have been copied correctly. The project also runs incredibly slowly. When editing it before, Resolve ran completely smoothly.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I completely borked my whole project, which is unfortunate but at least I'd already done a final export and uploaded it so it's not a massive loss. I was just hoping to archive the project in case I needed to revisit it in the future. I've tried some general troubleshooting like restarting, etc. and it seems to me that something just went wrong when copying these trimmed video files to the new location.

Did I mess up in Media Management or was this a bug? Is there an easy way to sort of "undo" the "Relink to new files" step? I can right click and replace them with the old files individually but that's a bit tedious. What's the best way to collect all your media/clips/audio and copy them to a new location for archiving? Thanks everyone for any assistance here.

I'm using Da Vinci Resolve Version 17.4.3, Build 10 on Windows 11.

Return to DaVinci Resolve