Portrait video: transform handles issue, also portrait

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AnthonyVee

Portrait video: transform handles issue, also portrait

PostThu May 19, 2022 10:13 am

Hi,

In DR17.4 studio.

Struggling with creating a portrait video. I have duplicated a 1920x1080 timeline to portrait format for Instagram, 1080x1920 with both Format and Output set to 1080x1920 and Mismatched resolution to Scale full frame with crop. Usually this goed well but this time the subject is a little off center in the clip so I need to reposition. Smart reframe doesn't give the result I need.

Examples on YouTube show that when you need to reposition a clip, you click the Transform button in your timeline viewer and the handles should cover the original 16:9 video. Then you can easily reposition your clip. With me, however, the handles are portrait size, so no way to reposition the clip.

I'm using a multicam clip, maybe this causes the problem?

Your suggestions are most welcome, thanks!

Jim Simon

Re: Portrait video: transform handles issue, also portrait

PostFri May 20, 2022 11:05 pm

Multicam is like a picture frame, the original clip is like the picture inside that frame.

They are different.

You may be better off doing the move on the original rather than the Multicam. You can get there a couple ways. Right click and Flatten (this can't be undone, so handle with care), or right click and Open in Timeline.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

AnthonyVee

PostSat May 21, 2022 10:29 am

Thanks Jim! Yes I suspected it had to do with the multicam. Problem is when Open in Timeline:
the short portrait video is a promo clip for a 3 angle online course that is a 4 hours end product. Try to find the needed shots in the 8 hour rough cut haha. When opening in timeline the playhead is in another place than where i am in my 30 seconds promo clip.

What I've done now is 'Scale entire image to fit' when converting the timeline copy into portrait mode and scale the clips to the right size later to fit and correctly positioned. Editing this looks not rendered correctly i.e. at 3.xx scale it seems scaled way too much, but when final render is done the completed clip looks good.
Quite strange.

Thanks for your trouble!

Jim Simon

PostSat May 21, 2022 2:31 pm

You could go another way.

Ignore the "wrongness" of the Instagram viewport and just deliver the original with black bars.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

AnthonyVee

PostSun May 22, 2022 11:50 am

Jim Simon wrote:You could go another way.

Ignore the "wrongness" of the Instagram viewport and just deliver the original with black bars.

Thanks, but I believe that isn't helpful to create an Instagram story...

Jim Simon

PostSun May 22, 2022 12:42 pm

Well, the film is shot and edited with a specific aspect ratio in mind. There's nothing wrong with using that same aspect in all delivery avenues.

Movies often get black bars on TV. It's OK to have them on Instagram as well.

Food for thought.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve