Does Davinci support any AMD AI type cards?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bmmatbon

Does Davinci support any AMD AI type cards?

PostFri May 20, 2022 8:29 am

With the magic mask and depth map being the craze and I'm sure with more to follow, is there any amd hardware I can buy that will accelerate with DR?

I just bought an NV 3080 and after 2 days of hassles and negative overall experience returned it. So I was thinking about something like a Mi200 or Mi100?
Desktop: AMD 5950x, 64GB 3600Mhz GEIL, AMD 5700XT, Couple NVMes. CachyOS (Arch) and Nobara (Fedora)
Laptop: AMD 5700U, 32GB, Nobara (Fedora)

peterjackson

Re: Does Davinci support any AMD AI type cards?

PostFri May 20, 2022 9:30 am

Don't think so. What was so bad about the 3080?
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

bmmatbon

PostFri May 20, 2022 10:22 am

It's a long post but not an easy one as I don't want to appear "fanboy" etc. I believe in general, fanboyism just makes us accepting of crappy products.

I run mostly Linux and overall NVIDIA performance is very laggy on Linux, though I was able to demonstrate this to a lesser degree on Windows. Basically on Windows if I'm doing a render I often want to do other stuff with my pc. Whether it be youtube, watching a video etc. These all had significant frame drops. Very often with the NV it would feel like my trackball was dirty just moving the cursor. This is most noticeable on > 1 monitor.

On Linux this was way worse and on the NV forums they recommended I try 470, then 495, then 510, then 515 driver versions and I tested with each in games too 470 (major micro stutter,great fps), 495 and 515 games would crash and when they did work would have major artifacts (5 year old games - you'd think it would be stable). 510 Worked but fps was almost the same in some games as my 5700XT so instead of 150 down to 80's. No matter which driver though there would be this noticeable desktop lag. Even if I wasn't doing a render. Moving windows between my monitors would often "freeze" momentarily. I did clean installs of Windows / Linux (4 different distros) tried a 3050ti, 1070ti and the new 3080. All the NV's showed the same laggy symptoms. I even asked some of my staff to do blind tests all picked the AMD and gave a much smoother and more responsive experience, kinda like iOS (smooth) vs Android sucks (and I'm an Android user).

Anyways, on Linux and DR with the 3080 I was getting almost 20-25% better perf over Windows. I don't do any NVENC encodes. I use cpu for renders so gpu would be for fx etc.

I even tested with a RX480 I was able to use Windows or Linux as if no render was evening happening. I could open a 4k movie and youtube no skipped frames. Desktop animations like butter. So basically with the NV card it would mean one driver for gameX, one for games y and z etc. I don't game often but that would be a nightmare as I don't have time to stuff around.

My theory is this. Previously MOST highend pc's had iGPU's. Now with AMD cpus and i9's not having iGPU's the card has to do GUI and a "task". NV hardware appears to lack optimisation with multitasking and be more like a sports car great 0-60's but put some passengers in and it struggles. AMD = Turbo diesel.

The irony is the more highend your pc the more likely you would have lag as you won't have an iGPU. Ultimately even if the 3080 completes a render faster it meant that the os was an uncomfortable experience, I'd rather it take a bit longer and actually be able to use the pc smoothly.

My final renders before I returned the card this morning showed without the AI stuff I was getting roughly +15% to -3% speed difference between the 3080 and the 5700xt (Based on past projects) - hard to justify double the price and get instability and a worse overall experience. With AI specific content I was getting 6x the speed. With a 3050ti 3x over a 5700XT. How often will I use those 2 effects?

I put in an AMD 2200g with the 3080 and it was smooth - as the nv wouldn't be handling any gui stuff.

It feels like NV has different dev teams working on different driver branches and the guys don't communicate with each other.

So basically - I didn't think it was worth spending double for an unstable hit and miss experience that wasn't always better or at a minimum 2x faster with DR. Heck I even sold my 5700XT for more than I paid for it so was very eager for the 3080.

If all you have had was NV then I would have just thought oh my pc is busy I expect lag. I bought the 3080 for DR but the rest of the experience was so bad compared, I couldn't justify it.
Desktop: AMD 5950x, 64GB 3600Mhz GEIL, AMD 5700XT, Couple NVMes. CachyOS (Arch) and Nobara (Fedora)

bmmatbon

PostFri May 20, 2022 10:24 am

I literally took off 2.5 days work to do these tests to make sure I bought the right thing. I've had 8 hours sleep over these 2 days :? . I've also exceeded my activation limit for the week with DR :lol:

peterjackson

PostFri May 20, 2022 3:11 pm

Hm, I'd don't have any lags when rendering on my 5950x 3090 combo. But I sort of understand what you mean. I get drop outs with VoiceFX when heavy shaders are running in OBS even though the card has plenty of idle capacity. And I also remember bad DPC issues with an external 1080 Ti. I couldn't even play music on that system.

I mean could add a second GPU just for Desktop stuff...
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Scrubzami

PostSun May 22, 2022 8:01 pm

I think a possible problem is are you using the open-source drivers vs. official Nvidia drivers? Now, this is for me, you're mileage may vary. Just use Windows on a tuned / optimized install. Linux is just too much of a hassle. I definitely don't recommend using AMD in Windows. Their drivers are still trash. I get random driver crashes with certain renders. As GPU prices have finally fallen just waiting on 1.4xxx release pricing or 2. Just getting a 3080 non-ti.

Way too many variables with Linux. What distro, what drivers are you running etc.

bmmatbon

PostMon May 23, 2022 11:42 am

Scrubzami wrote:Way too many variables with Linux. What distro, what drivers are you running etc.
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately when ever I complain about NV performance the first thing people suggest is to not run the open source drivers. As mentioned in my long ramble I tried 4 different PROPRIETARY drivers.

I got feedback from the supplier today and they confirmed it across the NV range on Windows nevermind Linux.

Hopefully this (check 01:16 - Linking the timestamp didn't work) will be supported ASAP by Davinci

Jim Simon

PostWed May 25, 2022 8:42 pm

bmmatbon wrote:I run mostly Linux and overall NVIDIA performance is very laggy on Linux
Change the other side of that equation. ;)

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-window ... klink=true
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

peterjackson

PostThu May 26, 2022 4:16 pm

Single GPU pass-through from Linux to Windows VM has become easy. Many tutorials on YT....
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Return to DaVinci Resolve