"Conform" 6K footage to 4K?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

IvanTheEditor

"Conform" 6K footage to 4K?

PostSat May 21, 2022 10:15 am

I have a bunch of 6K and 2.8K clips all mixed together on a single timeline. (I was going back and forth between 60 fps and 120 fps). When I export all the shots as separate clips I would like the 6K clips to export as 4K but I want the 2.8K clips to stay the same resolution and export as 2.8K. How can I do that? Is there a way to "trick" Resolve to think of the 6K clips as 4K and leave the 2.8K clips the way they are so that when I go to the export tab and select "Use original resolution" the 6K clips are treated as 4K clips and the 2.8K clips are treated as 2.8K?

Please note: it is important for me to keep the order in which the clips are on the timeline so I don't want to group the 6K clips together and export those first then have to group the 2.8K clips together and export those separately. I want all the clips to export in the order in which they are on the timeline.

shebbe

Re: "Conform" 6K footage to 4K?

PostSat May 21, 2022 12:36 pm

An option if possible with your timeline/edit is to place all 6K clips on V1 and 2.8K on V2 in the same timeline. Then on the delivery page with only V1 enabled as track create the export settings for the 6K clips and add it to the queue. Then switch track to V2 and create the second settings. If you are using individual clip settings that label the clips they will still honour their number/'position' in the resulting filenames.

Maybe another method is something with color flags to dictate which files to export so you could keep them all on one video track but haven't checked that out.

It's not possible to have multiple resolution settings within a single render queue entry, only source resolution for everything.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

roger.magnusson

PostSat May 21, 2022 1:37 pm

If you create compound clips for the 6K clips they will stay at the resolution of the timeline when rendering individual clips, even if "Render at source resolution" is checked. Requires a 4K timeline of course (at least while the compound clips are created).

Might not be a good idea if you need the original timecode.

Jim Simon

PostSat May 21, 2022 2:09 pm

My thought is to do this in two passes, one at Original resolution, one at 4K resolution, into different folders.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

IvanTheEditor

PostSat May 21, 2022 10:23 pm

Thanks guys! Some great ideas here. I had considered all of those before but wasn't sure if maybe I was missing something or a setting somewhere and if there was actually a better way to do this. Glad to see that I'm not missing anything. Not glad to see that there isn't a setting like that. I think it would be great if BMD did add an option where you can export everything at source resolution but you cap it off at say 4K. With people filming at all these different resolutions these days this would be incredibly helpful. I understand that back in the day everyone would film everything at either 1080p or 4K and it will all be the same but these days our cameras have so many different resolutions they can film at that the old "one size fits all" doesn't work anymore.

Jim Simon

PostSat May 21, 2022 11:23 pm

What is the thought behind the 4K? Why not Original for all clips?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

IvanTheEditor

PostSat May 21, 2022 11:46 pm

I am the videographer for the project but my client has their own editor so I am only supposed to deliver the files to them. They prefer 4K compressed files, not large 6K files and so do I if I'm being honest. I love shooting in 6K but not delivering things in 6K. It's just so much easier to edit with 4K files than with 6K so that's another thing to consider.

Jim Simon

PostSun May 22, 2022 1:07 pm

OK.

Then using two different timelines is the best approach, since you're just processing and not editing.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve