Foley Recording In Fairlight

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alex=Alex

Foley Recording In Fairlight

PostSun May 22, 2022 12:56 am

Im looking to improve my foley game.
While im very technically advanced in music making and composition, i do not have much experience with live foley recording.
In the past when i would record for school projects, i would use my Tascam seperatly, and then move to my computer.
I know fairlight has the ability to create a rundown of all needed foley samples with timecode (i plan to use this more to make my life easier).
Ive recorded directly into fairlight before (thru my interface), but i always found it very clunky.
Im interested in getting a small mixer, since i also want to be able to have multiple mics for separate angles of the object I'm capturing, but im not sure how connecting a mixer input or USB would work when separating signals in resolve.

In essence, is there a good workflow that has been tried for foley that works well?
Any other programs that do a better job?
(Other than protools: i don't wanna support the sub model) (also ive wanted to try nuendo, but the unfamiliarity kinda scares me, anybody know any good tutorials?)
Inside the box? I didn't know about any box...

SidewaysUp_Joe

Re: Foley Recording In Fairlight

PostSun May 22, 2022 3:17 am

Being your familiar with ProTools, im gonna guess you've heard of or tried Reaper DAW (sorry can post urls), if not they have a free fully functional version you could try. Ive recorded 8 tracks at once (drum kit) on separate channels, you could do the same for foley. After you can mix that down so a single file or keep it as separate files. Being Reaper is a DAW, you can also process fx, panning and everything else also.

{EDIT}
Reaper does have a built in video player.
Ive only used the video player a few times for short clips (1-2min) in order to add foot steps to footage with a midi keyboard and a vst plugin. Don't know how well it would hold up for longer footage.

You can also create your own vst and make your own "sound library(s)".
Example: i made one for house doors with a single sound sample, then its pitched (deeper and higher) depending on what note is pressed on the keyboard.
Just food for thought.
~ What was once an opinion, became a fact, to be later proven wrong ~
https://www.youtube.com/c/SidewaysUpJoe/videos

Return to DaVinci Resolve