Database update

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Garth Ronkko

Database update

PostTue May 24, 2022 7:23 am

Hi,

I haven't used Resolve in a while, and I went to use it today, and it asked me to update, so I did.
Upon finishing the install, all my usual projects didn't show up and I got a message about needing to update the databe.
It failed, and from a search, i believe it's cos my database is in the old .db format.

If the info I read is correct, then I need to install my previous version and backup the database before trying again to bring it in to the new version (17). Unfortunately for me, after finishing the install, I deleted the installer for the previous version I was using as prior to finding out about this issue, I didn't think I needed the file any longer.
This means I don't actually know what version I was using previously. I have a feeling it might have been 12.x, but no way I know of that I can confirm that.
Is there a way I can find out?
Does it matter? Am I able to just download any previous version that used the .db format, and be able to backup and upgrade etc?
If so, what version would I be best to use?

Jim Simon

Re: Database update

PostWed May 25, 2022 8:05 pm

Backing up a Database won't in itself make the Database upgrade succeed. That's just so you can have a version for safe keeping.

You may have to reach out to Support to find out why the DB upgrade failed.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Garth Ronkko

PostThu May 26, 2022 1:28 am

I didn't do anything fancy. Just opened it up, saw my projects, got asked to update....
Let it update, and upon loading it told me i needed to update the database.
I tried and it gave me this message....

Failed to upgrade database:
"Failed to apply patch CREATE TABLE "B
tLockableBlob_Temp" ( "BtLockableBlob_id" uuid NOT
NULL, "DbType" character varying(128) NOT NULL,
"BtLockableBlobMap_id" uuid, "FieldsBlob" BLOB,
"BlobOwner" uuid, "DbSavedTime" bigint, CONSTRAINT
"BtLockableBlob_pkey" PRIMARY KEY
("BtLockableBlob_id"), CONSTRAINT
"BtLockableBlob_BtLockableBlobMap_id_key" FOREIGN
KEY ("BtLockableBlobMap_id") REFERENCES
"BtLockableBlobMap" ("BtLockableBlobMap_id") MATCH
SIMPLE ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE CASCADE
DEFERRABLE INITIALLY DEFERRED ); to database
{e44e0093-6d4c-4e0a-9cb9-15edc26f0204}: attempt to
write a readonly database Unable to fetch row".

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 26, 2022 10:28 am

Lets assume you were on v12.5, so u haven't updated the application for many years.

You installed v17? which specific v17?
Did you back up the old DB?

When the message came to update the DB, and you said yes... i assume it did something, for some time ? then gave the error?
Do you know if you are using a disk or postgres DB?

What version of Resolve is running now?
Can you start a new project?

Mac/Windows10 or Linux?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Garth Ronkko

PostFri May 27, 2022 2:47 am

Ok I'm pretty sure I was on 12.5.3 for windows 10 64bit, and the update was trying to get me to 17.4.6
I didn't backup the database, as I'd never actually dealt with updating this in such a major way before, so i didn't even know it was an issue.

To be perfectly honest, I installed v12 so long ago, I cannot remember which type of database I was using, but I don't think it was postgres. I did have postgres installed at some stage, but I'm pretty sure that was for something else.

As for the message about updating the DB, I clicked it, and it almost instantly came up with the error I posted in my last reply. Didn't sit there doing anything for a while, just click, and BAM! Error!

It's not totally the end of the world if I lose my projects, as luckily I didn't have any that I was actively working on, but I figured if there was a way to get them back, I'd rather try that before just biting the bullet and starting fresh, as there were a few projects I had intended to make slight variants of at some point.

It does appear that it will allow me to create a new local database, so I assume all would continue to work if I just bit the bullet and started fresh, but I'd much rather find out if I can fix my old one before I just forge ahead

It did appear that the new version was going to allow me to simply create a new database, so I assume everything would have functioned ok in that respect, but I didn't want to try in case I did something I couldn't reverse it.

So yeah... for the moment, I just left it until I found out if it was possible.
Last edited by Garth Ronkko on Fri May 27, 2022 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 27, 2022 7:47 am

There were a number of DB updates over the last 5 years so unfortunately it's likely lost, but in the path of the new DB, can you see any old ones listed?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve