Export format for DVD Delivery

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Export format for DVD Delivery

PostTue May 24, 2022 6:44 pm

I have a rush project which entails a feature length of about 112 minutes long. I am handed a file size that is 71Gb in a MOV container. I need to burn it to a DVD. I have 2 questions: Is there some way to reduce this size so it will fit in a DVD? In Resolve, what kind of render should I do for DVD delivery?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

Re: Export format for DVD Delivery

PostWed May 25, 2022 7:06 am

If we are talking about a video DVD, DR alone can't do that. Use an external encoder or get the plug-in by MainConcept.
Or are you asking about a data DVD?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

peterjackson

PostWed May 25, 2022 10:18 am

If the later calutate the average bitrate to fill the DVD by 90%. Then use H265 2 pass encoding with that bitrate.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.2 ... ntrolmodes
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Lucius Snow

PostWed May 25, 2022 11:50 am

H.265 for a a DVD ?! It's MPEG2.

peterjackson

PostWed May 25, 2022 12:02 pm

This was referring to a data DVD, if you bothered to read the previous comment.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Lucius Snow

PostWed May 25, 2022 2:42 pm

peterjackson wrote:This was referring to a data DVD, if you bothered to read the previous comment.

The initial post didn't mention a data DVD. Why would he burn a data DVD for a video?

Ashton Lamont

PostWed May 25, 2022 3:17 pm

"This was referring to a data DVD"
I can't see that Peter. Perhaps I can't see for looking pr perhaps the OP has edited the comment.

Anyway, if it is to be video rather than data: I created DVD's extensively in the past though not recently. I used Magix Vegas Pro (formerly known as Sony Vegas Pro). From what I recall you would not be able to get 112 minutes onto a single DVD at an acceptable bitrate. You would need e.g. a constant bit rate of no more than 6,500,000 for just over 1 hour. Therefore you would need to produce two DVDs or a single dual layer DVD.

I think you could download a trial copy of Vegas and use that. It ought to be pretty easy to use because all you need is to drag your file into a new timeline, save it, and then go to Render As as an MPEG-2 A couple of gotya's in Vegas would be that since it is a MOV file you would need to ensure Quicktime is installed on your system then in Options > Preferences tick yes to "Enable the Quicktime Plugin". Also In the Project Properties choose Pixel format: 8-bit full range.

Vegas has a simple Render As option that is available in Tools > Burn Disk > DVD MPEG-2 etc. Or use the more involved File > Render As > Main Concept MPEG-2 > - this gives you options including include the audio or render the audio separately and then burn it using DVD Architect.

But would it not be much better if there is some way for the end user to view a USB stick which you have rendered from your 71gb file to something much smaller within Resolve be it H265 or H264. Fingers crossed for you on that one.

SkierEvans

PostWed May 25, 2022 8:33 pm

I regularly make DVD's of close to 2 hours. Use TMPGenc MW7 to encode to interlace mpg2 VBR 2 pass ( there is preset in MW7 to use) and then set to fill disc to about 94%. You can set this in TMPGenc. I author with DVDArchitect. Burn with Nero.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

Ellory Yu

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 6:03 am

Sorry for the very late reply. I had to travel. It’s video disc and not data disc that I need to burn and give them. Be nice if I could just had them over a USB flash drive but that was not the option.

Ashton Lamont wrote:"This was referring to a data DVD"
I can't see that Peter. Perhaps I can't see for looking pr perhaps the OP has edited the comment.

Anyway, if it is to be video rather than data: I created DVD's extensively in the past though not recently. I used Magix Vegas Pro (formerly known as Sony Vegas Pro). From what I recall you would not be able to get 112 minutes onto a single DVD at an acceptable bitrate. You would need e.g. a constant bit rate of no more than 6,500,000 for just over 1 hour. Therefore you would need to produce two DVDs or a single dual layer DVD.

I think you could download a trial copy of Vegas and use that. It ought to be pretty easy to use because all you need is to drag your file into a new timeline, save it, and then go to Render As as an MPEG-2 A couple of gotya's in Vegas would be that since it is a MOV file you would need to ensure Quicktime is installed on your system then in Options > Preferences tick yes to "Enable the Quicktime Plugin". Also In the Project Properties choose Pixel format: 8-bit full range.

Vegas has a simple Render As option that is available in Tools > Burn Disk > DVD MPEG-2 etc. Or use the more involved File > Render As > Main Concept MPEG-2 > - this gives you options including include the audio or render the audio separately and then burn it using DVD Architect.

But would it not be much better if there is some way for the end user to view a USB stick which you have rendered from your 71gb file to something much smaller within Resolve be it H265 or H264. Fingers crossed for you on that one.

Thanks for this reply. It did help. And I knew someone who had Vegas Pro and he helped me with that.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Sam Steti

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 8:32 am

Hey,

I made lots of chaptered DVD from multicam stage shows. It was on DVDStudio Pro on OSX.

Just wanted to add that the 4.7 Go up limit could be represented as another limit : 2 hours approx (if it's a single layer of course, otherwise it's 8,5 Go).... If the first scenario, if you have one or several sequences lasting more than 2 hours, you'll have to sacrifice quality in favor of global weight. First have a look at what your software can tell you about the global weight estimation after encoding...
For the rest, yes, technically it's MPEG2 which results in VOB files actually. You could fine tune the encoding parameters but hey, you won't make any miracle on SD formats nowadays...
[I remember that chapters were the most exciting thing at the end of the day, one cannot figure out the wide range of things you can make with that, it was quite cool...]
Good luck anyway
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 8:52 am

You can make some pretty cool things with menus if you know how to edit the 'language' of DVD directly.
Apart from that, I second getting an old Mac second-hand and a license of DVD Studio Pro if you still need to deliver Video-DVDs on a regular basis. It's a mature tool for some more elaborate DVD authoring.
We tried to do it with Adobe's Encore, which failed miserably most of the time.

I wrote three books on the subject with a colleague, but they are in German. I still have the last one around as PDFs, so whoever wants to work with DVD Studio Pro, drop me a PM and you'll get a download.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Sam Steti

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 8:59 am

Yep, I was good on menus too, alog withn scripts and behaviors, and obviously still have an old OSX and DVDSP on it in case of...
Funny memories :D
Edit : btw thx for your offer
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve