Newbie : What kind of this Waveform, and what is used for?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

okiewardoyo

Newbie : What kind of this Waveform, and what is used for?

PostTue May 24, 2022 10:03 pm

Dear community,
I have a newbie quenstion that i want to know, i have search on google, on this forum, even manual PDF but i can not find it, or i have not found it yet. May be some experience user here can explain.
Preview :
What is it used for.jpg
What is it used for.jpg (72.98 KiB) Viewed 373 times

Everytime i 'bounce audio effect' in fairlight, it always created a new grey clip/waveform behind actual clip.
What is it? and what is it used for?
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Newbie : What kind of this Waveform, and what is used fo

PostWed May 25, 2022 4:55 am

I think you are referring to the audio waveform (the white part), that is a representation fo the actual audio signal.

if you zoom very close you can actually se the wave of the audio itself (IIRC).
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

okiewardoyo

PostWed May 25, 2022 11:58 am

Thank walter,
let's say i have a clip with rx izotope effect on it, and i want to bounce audio effect to smooth playback, preview:
Bounce audio effect.jpg
Bounce audio effect.jpg (192.2 KiB) Viewed 271 times

After bounced, i try to drag this bounced audio, and behind this bouncedaudio, i find another waveform, what is it??
What is it.jpg
What is it.jpg (137.59 KiB) Viewed 271 times

Thanks.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.

okiewardoyo

PostWed May 25, 2022 11:59 am

waltervolpatto wrote:I think you are referring to the audio waveform (the white part), that is a representation fo the actual audio signal.

if you zoom very close you can actually se the wave of the audio itself (IIRC).

If it just a reference, is it safe it i just ignored it or delete it?

bryantocara

PostWed May 25, 2022 12:15 pm

"Layered Audio Editing"
When you bounce clips, the audio is rendered and placed in a new layer within the same track and the original layer is still kept underneath in case you want to delete the bounce and do it again. In "Layered Audio Editing" (type that into the search bar of the pdf manual to see exactly which page this is talked about), multiple layers can be hidden WITHIN the same track (not needing to create a new track), and any layer underneath is automatically muted. This kind of "hidden stacking" is very useful in many different situations. You have to toggle on the "view audio layers" selection in the view menu to see audio layers.

The way you are viewing it now can be visualized as a "top down" view. Then when you toggle to view audio layers, you can think of it as shifting a 3d camera to a "side view." That's why it seems like you are "revealing" another layer underneath when you drag the clip to the left or right.

Also, if "layered audio editing" is selected under timeline settings, dragging the edge of audio clips does not overwrite, but can then be an easy way to create crossfades with a higher level of control.

This ONE feature is what got me to make the final jump into Resolve a couple years ago. I was used to how my other DAW could do something similar, but when I figured out how to enable Resolve to do it BETTER, my jaw dropped and I was like, I'm all in, LOL

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

okiewardoyo

PostWed May 25, 2022 1:00 pm

bryantocara wrote:"Layered Audio Editing"
When you bounce clips, the audio is rendered and placed in a new layer within the same track and the original layer is still kept underneath in case you want to delete the bounce and do it again. In "Layered Audio Editing" (type that into the search bar of the pdf manual to see exactly which page this is talked about), multiple layers can be hidden WITHIN the same track (not needing to create a new track), and any layer underneath is automatically muted. This kind of "hidden stacking" is very useful in many different situations. You have to toggle on the "view audio layers" selection in the view menu to see audio layers.

The way you are viewing it now can be visualized as a "top down" view. Then when you toggle to view audio layers, you can think of it as shifting a 3d camera to a "side view." That's why it seems like you are "revealing" another layer underneath when you drag the clip to the left or right.

Also, if "layered audio editing" is selected under timeline settings, dragging the edge of audio clips does not overwrite, but can then be an easy way to create crossfades with a higher level of control.

This ONE feature is what got me to make the final jump into Resolve a couple years ago. I was used to how my other DAW could do something similar, but when I figured out how to enable Resolve to do it BETTER, my jaw dropped and I was like, I'm all in, LOL

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

OMG,,, thanks so much Bryan,, :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve