Fairlight Limiter not working in bounce audio effect

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

okiewardoyo

Fairlight Limiter not working in bounce audio effect

PostFri May 27, 2022 9:43 am

Dear all,
I add 'limiter' to my spesific clip.
Fairlight limiter works great while playback, look at preview below, when i boost input the limiter compressed it and the sound not clipped.
Limiter when playback.jpg
Limiter when playback.jpg (93.55 KiB) Viewed 730 times

But, when i 'bounce audio effect', i think the compressor of limiter doesn't work anymore, look at the preview :
After bouncing audio effect.jpg
After bouncing audio effect.jpg (109.33 KiB) Viewed 730 times

How to make compressor of limiter works? thanks.
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Reynaud Venter

Re: Fairlight Limiter not working in bounce audio effect

PostFri May 27, 2022 4:02 pm

Pay attention to gain staging as the path clearly is not optimal through the plugin.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

okiewardoyo

PostFri May 27, 2022 4:49 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Pay attention to gain staging as the path clearly is not optimal through the plugin.

Thanks reynaud, i tried another vst3 plugin, izotope maximizer, the result same. i don't know why.
Do you have some tips?
I just want to maximize the gain of the sound, so i add gain and i don't want clip happen, so i should limit it.
Best effect for is is Limiter, compressor, izotope ozone maximizer.
All of this plugin can boost input and limit the output.
These effect work great on playing back, but really clip/wors when bouncingclip.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.

shebbe

PostSat May 28, 2022 10:15 am

A limiter is not a compressor. A limiter cuts off any dB that is going above the ceiling.
Yours is set to 0dB and you are slamming the input into it. This results in a wave file that is flat at the top and maximum digital volume. It will sound terrible regardless of whether you bounced the audio or not. Visually the bounced file looks correct to me.

I recommend using a compressor instead with a ratio of 3:1 as a starting point and then reduce the threshold to a bit below where the peaks are. It will sound much more natural.
After you compress the audio you can add more gain without the peaks clipping. It's called Make Up on the compressor itself or you can do it post comp effect or on the mixer fader if that audio track only has that voice. Also never set any audio level to have 0dB peaks or high RMS that's way too loud for proper listening and leaves no room for other sounds to play at the same time.

If you never used a compressor I would also look up some videos that explain them. It's quite important to do it right if you want it to sound professional.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

bryantocara

PostSat May 28, 2022 12:22 pm

If you are bouncing audio effects, but the limiter is at the TRACK level, it will not take. Bouncing audio effects only "bakes in" CLIP level add-ons. I couldn't tell from your screenshot, but that may be the case: the effect you are trying to bake in TO THE CLIP is applied at the TRACK LEVEL.

If it is at the track level, use "bounce mix to track" option instead of "bounce audio effects."

There are ways to bounce specific in and out ranges, if the whole length isn't ready.

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

shebbe

PostSun May 29, 2022 12:38 am

bryantocara wrote:Bouncing audio effects only "bakes in" CLIP level add-ons. I couldn't tell from your screenshot, but that may be the case

The title of the limiter effect shows the audio file so I'm pretty sure it's on the clip.
The reason why before bounce during playback the sound doesn't distort is because processing is done in 32bit float internally and gets normalized before D/A conversion so it will never 'distort' in the way that the bounced version is. Most, if not all DAWs also work like this.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

okiewardoyo

PostSun May 29, 2022 8:02 am

Thanks all for reply, yes, all of my effect added to specific clip, not to the track.
Sometimes too much effect makes heavy playback/choppy, so i should 'bounce audio effect'.
For voice, usually i use 'dnoiser' + 'equalizer' + 'limiter'.
When playing back, sound look good, limiter can handle sound when i boost the input.
but when 'bouncing effect' done, the sound really terrible, clipped, and broken. in my mind, i think the limiter doesn't work when bouncing.

okiewardoyo

PostSun May 29, 2022 8:17 am

After investigate, i have found that 'bounching audio effect' will not reset value in inspector.
So for next, we should pay attention for inspector and audio effect.
Inspector.jpg
Inspector.jpg (114.55 KiB) Viewed 537 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve