Color tool similar to "Calibration" of Lightroom

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jose Spena

Color tool similar to "Calibration" of Lightroom

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 5:31 pm

Hello.

I wonder if there is a tool that behave similar to "Calibration" of Adobe Lightroom on Davinci.

See, I use a lot this tool to control some overall tonal of the image, not for calibrate something, it is just a way to get certain tone on the image.

you can see this link to see what this powerful tool do.

I am looking some relative tool on resolve. Any help?
.......Jose Spena.......
<<< Set | Shoot | Repeat >>>

Jack Fairley

Re: Color tool similar to "Calibration" of Lightroom

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 6:04 pm

Try RGB mixer and/or curves.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 6:49 pm

well.... that is the whole of color correction artistry:' get a good image out of flat/raw ones.

you can always press [auto color] to get a ballpark....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

mickspixels

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 6:57 pm

Go into the Curves palette at the bottom of the Color page and there are several other options (buttons) along with the normal curves which you are probably familar with in Lightroom. For example, Hue v Sat allows you to change the saturation for a very specific range of hues, Hue v Lum allows you to change the luminosity for a very specific range of hues and so on. These are incredibly powerful tools and well worth checking out. The Blackmagic tutorials cover how to use some of them - also see the manual.

Incidentally, the Calibration panel in Lightroom has nothing much to do with camera or monitor calibration - it is something of a misnomer. Back in the day, if my memory serves me well I(which it may or may not do), camera profiles were part of this panel so if you created a DNG camera profile using a color checker that is where you would find it and it could be tweaked there using the controls. Then Adobe moved the camera profiles towards the top of the Develop module and the Calibration panel remains as a creative tool.

Jose Spena

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 7:34 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:Try RGB mixer and/or curves.

Tried.. It is not as direct but I think it is the way... THANK YOU
.......Jose Spena.......

Jose Spena

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 7:38 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:well.... that is the whole of color correction artistry:' get a good image out of flat/raw ones.

you can always press [auto color] to get a ballpark....

TOTALLY. Don't get me wrong.. On LR it seems to give you "Out of the HAT" look... But the reality it we achieve that on video doing a proper grading.

Just looking if there is a similar to to emulate that behavior.

Thanks you for the response :D

PD: AUTO on DR for me it is like a inside joke (GH5M2 + V-Log L) Always super offset :lol:
.......Jose Spena.......

Jose Spena

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 7:39 pm

mickspixels wrote:Go into the Curves palette at the bottom of the Color page and there are several other options (buttons) along with the normal curves which you are probably familar with in Lightroom. For example, Hue v Sat allows you to change the saturation for a very specific range of hues, Hue v Lum allows you to change the luminosity for a very specific range of hues and so on. These are incredibly powerful tools and well worth checking out. The Blackmagic tutorials cover how to use some of them - also see the manual.

Incidentally, the Calibration panel in Lightroom has nothing much to do with camera or monitor calibration - it is something of a misnomer. Back in the day, if my memory serves me well I(which it may or may not do), camera profiles were part of this panel so if you created a DNG camera profile using a color checker that is where you would find it and it could be tweaked there using the controls. Then Adobe moved the camera profiles towards the top of the Develop module and the Calibration panel remains as a creative tool.

As Jack says.. have to twice those parameter... Thank you

Will be doing some testing.

Thanks to all guys. Appreciated. :)
.......Jose Spena.......

mickspixels

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 7:53 pm

The HSL curves are much more refined than the Calibrate panel controls in Lightroom in that they give a lot more control. I would love to see these in Lightroom in fact - also a vectorscope would be great.

ElliotFrahs

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 7:29 pm

The Calibration tool in Lightroom alters RGB primaries.

Remember that Red, Green and Blue are chosen for their ability to reproduce a wide gamut in human eyes (best controlling the signal response of S, M, and L cones to create the perception of colors.) But even so, RGB has a limited gamut. (There is some evidence of that fact in color-changing lights that include additional primaries like Amber.)

By altering the primaries, the gamut is actually further reduced and hues are altered in a very global way. For example, using Red-Orange, Green-Blue, and Blue-Green as our "substitute" primaries, the gamut is "squeezed" into the classic teal-orange palette. Pure red, pure green, and pure blue are nowhere to be found. It's almost like intentionally choosing a wrong color space.

This is not reproduced easily through HSL curves. In the attached, my best attempt at recreating the results via HSL are on the right.

In Resolve, you can achieve the same result using a series of nodes, but we're talking about tools here, right?
Attachments
calibration_vs_hsl copy.jpg
calibration_vs_hsl copy.jpg (209.23 KiB) Viewed 700 times

dariusii

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 2:58 pm

This tool can be reproduced in an RGB mixer, but you won’t be able to visually represent the desired option in the mixer like you can in a camera calibration tool.
If in the latter you change only one saturation slider in one of the channels, then in the mixer you will have to change all 9 sliders to achieve approximately the same result. The calibration camera is a unique tool and you will not achieve the same results with hue curves. By the way, there are similar tools in ACR/Ligntroom, although they are not as perfect as curves, but we are talking about something else.
This is what I do if I need such a tool in Davinci - I export the tiff file and throw it into Ligntroom. I process it, and put the hald file next to it and apply the same effects to it. After that, we convert such a file into a lut file and throw it into Davinci. No other way. In RGB mixer you need to have much more experience in order to solve this issue intuitively - I’m not talking about the correctness of the solution, about mathematical correctness, but about an intuitive approach.

Well, in general, for those who are interested in what they do, one program is always not enough, aren't we? ;)
The losers built Noah's ark. The professionals built the Titanic

dariusii

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 8:52 am

Here you'll find several good articles that may help
https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-r ... p/11567162

Davinci Resolve is not that advanced in this direction. Yes, no one needs this. developers will do it - "a super/irreplaceable innovation". They won’t do it, but “it’s not necessary.”
The losers built Noah's ark. The professionals built the Titanic

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 am

Jose Spena wrote:
PD: AUTO on DR for me it is like a inside joke (GH5M2 + V-Log L) Always super offset :lol:

that WAS a joke.....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve