Adjustment Clip only to affect certain clips below

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

justint

Adjustment Clip only to affect certain clips below

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 6:48 pm

I was wondering if there was a way to only apply Adjustment clips to specific clips on tracks below,

EXAMPLE

V4 = Adjustment Clip
V3 = The clip I want to be affect by adjustment clip
V2 = Clip i don't want affected
V1 = another clip i don't want affected

The reason is that V1 and V2 is the main clip I want to stay the same and not affected by the Adjustment clip

Thanks for the help.

Jim Simon

Re: Adjustment Clip only to affect certain clips below

PostFri Jun 03, 2022 9:21 pm

Adjustment Clips will always affect everything under them. That's their purpose.

In your example, you can apply the effect directly to the clip on V4. Or if there are many clips on V4, make them a Compound Clip.

If the effect is available on the Color page, you might also try using Shared Nodes or Groups.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

twhizzle

PostFri Dec 15, 2023 7:37 am

I have kind of the same problem.

I created an adjustment layer and applied some fusion stuff to it (a polygon mask and a transform with keyframes to get a transition animation) because I need this animation to be applied to a few tracks below it (one solid background and a few Text+ nodes on top).

The clip below (a video of me) should stay unaffected because I want to "pull down" the new clip (the solid background with the text nodes). The transform node is for the animation and the polygon mask is to cut out my hand to make it look credible.
But using an adjustment layer would also affect the clip showing me, which should stay in the same place.
Not using an adjustment layer is not an option since I need the same mask and the same transform (with a bit of keyframing) on 9 tracks... which would be insane.

Any other idea how I could solve this problem? I mean, something like this has surely been done before by other people, but I have now idea, how.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Thomas

Mario Kalogjera

PostFri Dec 15, 2023 10:03 am

Make a compound clip that would include the adjustment clip and the clips it should affect?
Aftereffects calls this Precomposing.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

twhizzle

PostFri Dec 15, 2023 11:20 am

Hi Mario,

great idea. I tried that and generally that should work... but is it possible that a compound clip is not able to keep transparency?

Of course, in my fusion composition on the adjustment layer, I have a black background node with Alpha=0 for transparent background of the composition, but when I make a compound clip and put another clip below it, this clip still does not show.. it's black.

See node tree and background node settings attached below.

Thanks for your help!
Thomas
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-15 um 12.18.15.png
Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-15 um 12.18.15.png (71.34 KiB) Viewed 2814 times
Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-15 um 12.17.54.png
Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-15 um 12.17.54.png (76.22 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

twhizzle

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 8:26 am

Okay, I just realized that there's a simpler solution... when I combine all the layers (text layers and background generator) into a compound clip and apply all my fusion stuff to this compound clip (without an adjustment layer), it works fine.

Thanks for the input!

Return to DaVinci Resolve