Cache disappears again

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tom Parsons

Cache disappears again

PostSun Jun 05, 2022 4:15 pm

Hi,
I'm using 17
Long timeline, slow computer.
Yet again I've got the red line.
I need to leave the computer on overnight to cache everything.
It's a major pain.
Does anyone know why the cache disappears?
Seriously affecting the workflow.
The cache location hasn't been altered. It's on an external drive that hasn't been disconnected.
Cheers

Jim Simon

Re: Cache disappears again

PostMon Jun 06, 2022 9:33 pm

Try working exclusively from Internal drives.

Report back.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

studio1492

PostMon Jun 06, 2022 10:40 pm

I never experienced such thing. And I've chached clips on my NAS, which gets constantly disconnected from laptops. Once the NAS disk is mounted, files get linked automatically again on DVR17.

So, on your case:

So your cache files get deleted from the disk randomly at some given point?
Or they get simply get disconected from DVR project?

Have you tried "Link Proxy Media" by rightclicking the files on Media Pool?

Does the Astherisk * appears before "Link Proxy Media"?
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

rnbaker

PostTue Jun 07, 2022 1:55 am

I have had this same issue but on 18. I might have had it happen a couple of times for me on 17 (all versions) but frequently had it happen on 18 and with different projects. It usually happens if I exit DR and then go back into my project and all the cache will be gone and it starts recaching. It's terrible. I have everything on internal drives, too.

Caching is really hit or miss with 18. Sometimes it's excellent (like way better than 17) and other times it's terrible (or obviously even worse...gone) and need to restart DR to get it to work correctly again. I am on laptop running Windows 11 and has an AMD 4800H CPU with 32GB RAM and an Nvidia 2060 GPU with 6gb VRAM and my project files are on an standard SSD and my scratch drive is an NVME with plenty of space available so not the best setup but not the worst.

Tom Parsons

PostWed Jun 08, 2022 2:36 pm

IT'S JUST DONE IT AGAIN!!
*exasperated*

I put a Fusion clip at the end of the sequence then for no discernable reason the Blue line disappeared and a Red line began creeping over the ENTIRE TIMELINE

It's not Proxy media, it's the Cached media (is it not?) so right clicking Relink Proxy Media in the Media Pool isn't going to work

It takes at least 16 hours to generate the Cache (over 80 Gb), during which the computer is unusable as it's so slow (typing this is painfully slow)

I must be doing something wrong, or there must be a setting that I've got that I shouldn't because this is plain daft.

Tom Parsons

PostWed Jun 08, 2022 2:48 pm

studio1492 wrote:I never experienced such thing. And I've chached clips on my NAS, which gets constantly disconnected from laptops. Once the NAS disk is mounted, files get linked automatically again on DVR17.

So, on your case:

So your cache files get deleted from the disk randomly at some given point?
Or they get simply get disconected from DVR project?

Have you tried "Link Proxy Media" by rightclicking the files on Media Pool?

Does the Astherisk * appears before "Link Proxy Media"?

The cache folder is over 197Gb, so the cached files aren't deleted. They just become unlinked. Suddenly.
Link Proxy Media in Media Pool didn't work (is cache Proxy? I thought not). Didn't see an asterisk.

Now I'll have to delete the cache folder as there isn't enough space on the drive to remake that amount of cache
aka, start again with the Render Cache

Massive disruption to workflow

I appreciate my computer is slow but this is not workable. Every time I make a small change to the timeline I risk losing the cache

Another thing: doing something then undoing it (CTRL-Z) should just relink back to the cache. DVR won't do that. It seems to need to remake the cached files, which IMO is wasteful in terms of time and space.

Can't use internal drives. Plus, it's 2022.

Any pointers gladly received.

Thanks

Tom Parsons

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 3:37 pm

The saga continues.
PLEASE will somebody give me some advice.

My computer has been on for 3 days straight (presumably) rendering cache so I can make some final small tweaks and play out this project

There is a (now) a BLUE line above the majority of the timeline (joy)

YET half the clips come up with !MEDIA OFFLINE with a red background when i put the playhead on them

If I Find In Media Pool the clip is there

I have already deleted Render Cache twice and let the computer re-render it

It's insanity
Please can someone point me right
Thank you

Ryan Bloomer

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 5:43 pm

I can confirm, updating the the non-beta release of Resolve 18, render cache shows MEDIA OFFLINE, I have yet to figure out how to fix it.

Ryan Bloomer

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 5:49 pm

I should mention i'm using DNxHR HQX, switching to cineform 10bit, and switching back does seem to stop the cache being offline.

edit: it goes offline once it completes rendering with DNxHR HQX, it does work when keeping it cineform 10bit

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 7:59 pm

I'm also seeing weirdness in Studio 18 release with DNX Cache.

At least, on an older project in an older database.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Ryan Bloomer

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 8:31 pm

Jim, this is what I'm seeing too, it's an old project moved to 18. I have not yet tested with a fresh project yet.

Håkon Broder Lund

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 9:04 pm

I've had strange issues with "media offline" when source files are h.265. If I would use BRAW, ProRes or DNxHR it would not have an issue. So making optimized media, not just proxies, solved my issues with h265 files.

Don't know if this helps or not
Camera: UMP | P6K Pro | P4K | Canon R5 | Many EF and RF lenses
Computer: 3960X | 128GB RAM | 1080Ti
Remote: Top spec MBP 2015

Tom Parsons

PostFri Jul 22, 2022 9:21 pm

Thank you. It’s not h.265 media, it’s SD DV. Nevertheless if I once more delete the render cache then select Use Optimized Media, and then let the cache re-render that might solve it?

OR roll back to version 17?

tomczlick

PostSun Jul 24, 2022 12:48 am

So it seems I'm not alone here...

<update before I even submitted this...>
<I turned off Menu/Playback/Render Cache and the OFFLINE clip came back. I'm probably OK compared to some others in this regard, I have an AMD 5950 w/128GB RAM, internal NVMe SSD, 3GBps and an nVidia 3090 video card...I can playback 4K RAW without issue.>

Yesterday I had no issues. This morning I DL'd and installed DR18. I backed up the database as prompted before upgrading the database as required and then opened my current project, a 10 min short film shot on Red. I was using color to CC a clip - R3D source file - and it gave me a Media Offline right in the middle of adjusting the gamma, or gain, or whatever.

The file is on an internal NVMe SSD with 200GB of free space. Media Pool shows the clip and it plays back, no problem, but still shows OFFLINE in cut, edit, color, fairlight & deliver...but it is available in Fusion.

I deleted the cache from inside DR, then restarted...no change. I then set /Render Cache/ to None and restarted. This brought the clip back. Obviously DR uses the cache for playback. I then set /Render Cache/ to Smart and restarted. DR proceeded to render the timeline turning it blue, including the problem clip. However, the problem returned AND now I've found another clip with a different source file doing the same thing (maybe it was there all along); scrubbing through the rest of the project I didn't find any others. I also tried setting the Cache to User (what does this even mean?)...same outcome. I tried just deleting the Cache for those individual clips...no change.

The one thing that works for me is NOT a solution for users who MUST playback from Cache - I just set the Cache to none. I OK for now, but I'm sure once I have to work with 8k footage I will need that Cache back.

So...is there no solution for this yet??

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Jul 24, 2022 2:03 am

I’m going to take a guess at what’s happening…
If a clip is set to look at the cache and the cached version of the clip is either missing or damaged I believe the clip will display as Offline.

This may not be intuitive - it’d be nice if a different word were used in this case - but I’m pretty sure this is the way it works.

So I suspect there’s a problem with creating the cached versions of some clips. Or there’s a low disk space situation such that longer clips fail to create but shorter ones succeed.

Either way I’d check the cache drive to make sure it’s got plenty of space, and I’d check the cache files corresponding to the offline clips to see if they exist and play properly in the system’s media player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

bikelike

PostTue May 30, 2023 9:58 am

About cache disappearing: it happens all the time WHENEVER I CHANGE TIMELINE RESOLUTION :shock:. Resolve starts all over again then. Maybe that clears out some of your cases.

Caching is definitely not my favourite quality in DR.
i7 9700K
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2600 SUPER
MSI Z390-A PRO
32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666
Windows 11 Pro 22H2

sabiland

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 7:58 am

I have latest 18.5.1. Davinci Resolve. Red-caching line just keep randomly disappearing. When I check CPU usage I see Davinci is doing something. Is he caching but just the red line is missing somehow?

Also I have many issues with delivery with 18.5.1. Randomly it hangs -> CPU usage goes to 200% and nothing happens.

I have MBP M1 Pro with 16GB ram.

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Aug 25, 2023 3:28 pm

When strange things happen the logs may let BMD see what’s going on. Use the generate logs command, upload to the cloud, and post a link to them here.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve