Dissolve Transition with out overlapping frames

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cdw3423

Dissolve Transition with out overlapping frames

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 6:46 pm

I have 2 clips that are both a time lapse and I don't want to loose 24 frames for a 1 second dissolve. Is there a way to "auto-magically" add a 1 second freeze frame to the end of the first clip and the beginning of the second clip and have the dissolve happen on the freeze frames? I know there are a number of ways I can manually add the freeze frames and then have them overlap so I can do the dissolve, but I was hoping to find a way to do it all in one quick step.

Chris W
Chris Woodhouse

Jim Simon

Re: Dissolve Transition with out overlapping frames

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 1:07 pm

I don't know of any automatic way.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dave Shortman

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 2:02 pm

cdw3423 wrote:I have 2 clips that are both a time lapse and I don't want to loose 24 frames for a 1 second dissolve. Is there a way to "auto-magically" add a 1 second freeze frame to the end of the first clip and the beginning of the second clip and have the dissolve happen on the freeze frames? I know there are a number of ways I can manually add the freeze frames and then have them overlap so I can do the dissolve, but I was hoping to find a way to do it all in one quick step.

Chris W

Have you tried the fusion dissolve transition, I don't *think* that needs the handles but I'm not 100% sure

cdw3423

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 5:52 am

Dave Shortman wrote:Have you tried the fusion dissolve transition, I don't *think* that needs the handles but I'm not 100% sure

That does work, I swear it didn't work in V16. However I still want the dissolve to start right after the last frame of the first clip is played and end right before the first frame of the second clip. Kind of like the video is paused during the dissolve.

But since the dissolve does work, I will try adding freeze frame again. As I recall that was much easier to do at either the end or beginning of a clip, I can't remember which.
Chris Woodhouse

Return to DaVinci Resolve