Green screen not remembering?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jim Figurski

Green screen not remembering?

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 2:49 pm

Hey All,

so I am using DR 17 in macbook air. Love it. Everthing flows. EXCEPT, when I use green screen, even after I save it, DR does not remember the process I used in order to get rid of the green screen. For example, I'll open up the saved project, and the subject will be present WITH the green screen back again. I then sometimes have to re-select the open FX tab and then touch the green screen with the plus sign and then it will go back to making the green screen disappear and the subject remain.

Not a problem, but gets annoying when you have to do this multiple times with multiple files each time you open up the file.

Any reason this happens? It happens about 75% of the time (don't know why it actually works successfully 25% of the time)

Uli Plank

Re: Green screen not remembering?

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 5:06 pm

Is that a MB Air M1 or an Intel version?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Figurski

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 7:39 pm

it's a MB Air M1

Hardy-

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 8:53 pm

Hi Jim,

I'm not sure if it's related to your problem or if I understood the question at all, but maybe ...

Recently, I noticed in the "3D Keyer" tab that those 3 probe methods -- pick, subtract, and add -- will be activated by certain keyboard keys, namely SHIFT, ALT, and CMD.

It can be frustrating when you do a lot of probe work with the add method, adding more and more paths, and you never check, before each add action, whether the add method is still active. Before I learnt these special keyboard hotkeys for the probe, I never checked whether the add method is still active. So when I pressed ALT or CMD between the actions, e.g. CMD+F for fullscreen, that CMD keypress also changed my probe method from "add" to "pick". But I didn't notice it; I thought the "add" method is still active. So I did the next probe action and -- boom -- all paths were gone, as the action was done with the "pick" method.

Now, whenever I do probe work, I never touch the keyboard. Plus, before I click the canvas, I always recheck which method is selected :-)

Jim Figurski

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 2:52 pm

Hi Hardy,

that's an interesting theory. So before I click the canvas, how do I check which method is activated?

Hardy-

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 5:18 pm

I check it by looking at the "3D Keyer" tab to see which of the three checkboxes (pick, subtract, add) is selected.

Jim Figurski

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 7:25 pm

so normally I use "add" (I think-the one on the far right) to eliminate my green screen. After that, should make sure that none are selected???

Hardy-

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 9:51 pm

You should make sure that ADD is still selected, or whatever method you want to keep using. (It's not possible to select "none".)

Whenever you press CMD, e.g. CMD+F for fullscreen or whatever, that CMD keypress will change your probe from ADD to PICK.

CMD is often pressed. That's why you need to make sure your desired probe method hasn't changed.

Just play with SHIFT, or with ALT, or with CMD, and see how the probe checkboxes get selected by these keys.

Jim Figurski

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 4:49 am

ok thanks Hardy!

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 7:17 pm

Wow that sounds like an ongoing source of confusion. I wonder if there’s a way to tweak the ui so this looming pothole no longer exists?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Jim Figurski

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 11:47 pm

yeah it is really frustrating. just came back a few hours a later and in the video I'm working on, all of the green screens have returned and for each green screened video, the transform module has reset itself. very frustrating :evil:

Return to DaVinci Resolve