Lens Stabilization vs Gyroscopic Stabilization

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AaronicNation

Lens Stabilization vs Gyroscopic Stabilization

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 1:58 am

I just updated my BMPCC6k Pro and downloaded the latest version of resolve. I have learned that you can't use gyroscopic stabilization if you shot the clips with lens stabilization turned on. This is a bit unfortunate, it would be nice to have both. I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the matter. Do you think that it is better to shoot with lens stabilization on and forgo the gyroscopic information or is the gyroscopic stabilization so good that it is better than the lens stabilization? I did some preliminary tests and it is hard to tell.

Jim Simon

Re: Lens Stabilization vs Gyroscopic Stabilization

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 1:53 pm

I found the OIS in my Panny 12-35 and 35-100 to be superior to Gyro.

Plus, there's no crop. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

bobosola

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 6:24 pm

Testing with Oly 12-100 OIS: with just hand-held and no camera movement, I could detect no difference between the two methods (other then the slight crop in the gyro option), but both were much better than hand-held alone without OIS, and both removed hand jitter very well. But then again, the existing 'Camera Lock' stabilisation option in Resolve works really well in this situation also.

With added camera movement (slow walking) I found the gyro stab to be steadier than just OIS but at the cost of some weirdness in verticals when walking the length of my house past doorways etc. OIS had no such weirdness but did not remove the walking movements as well as the the gyro option.

The gyro vertical weirdness can be mostly removed by increasing shutter speed. At 24 fps/180˚the motion weirdness is horrible. 90˚ was better, and at 45˚shutter angle it was gone. But the footage looks 'smartphone choppy' at such speeds so you may need to add some motion blur back in using Resolve.

So no definite answer from me I'm afraid. The gyro stab option varies from excellent to unusable depending on the lens, the focal length, the shutter speed, the distance from the target and the speed of camera movement relative to the target.

So if you need smoothness in all situations you still need a gimbal I'm afraid.

shebbe

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 10:33 pm

Pros and cons already pretty well stated by Bob Osola but I'd like to add that lens stabilization is terrible for panning shots. Maybe it improved with more modern lenses it's been a while since I used a camera but all lenses I've used gave sort of catching up back to center shocks in the correction algorithm creating unfixable jumps. If you stabilize in post you don't suffer from these issues but as mentioned, with default shutterspeeds if your shot does have a lot of jitter stabilizing something that has been captured with motion blur will look funky which you'd mitigate with OIS. If you think you really need OIS, I'd just go for it and use 'normal' methods of stabilization in post.

You can't use both at the same time because it would result in double stabilization making the result worse. The gyro data can't know what the lens already corrected for.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Return to DaVinci Resolve