transitions, composite mode, adjustment layer, transparency

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marek2189

transitions, composite mode, adjustment layer, transparency

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 9:29 am

DR 18 b5. Fusion transitions break and reset a clips composite mode to "normal" from any other mode for the length of the transition. Adjustment layer inside of a compound clip breaks its transparency (alpha channel). Basic transitions (not fusion) breaks the transparency of compound clips for the length of the transition.

All this stuff is not new but I doubt that these inconveniences are intentional. guess it is related to some core mechanisms of DR. So... Can it be fixed at some wonderful day? What do u think?

MattMacar

Re: transitions, composite mode, adjustment layer, transpare

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 9:50 pm

It's absolutely insane that this is still an issue. Final Cut was able to do this in like V2. Allow us to nest clips to create new "timelines" that maintain their resolutino AND have effing alpha. How the F is this not like number 1 on your list of changes to make. IT makes this software ineligible as a proper finishing editor. I have to go to AFter effects to do the most basic layer-based compositing crap that I don't want to learn the whole bowl of spaghetti that is Fusion for.

SOS.
Macar

CD | DP | PS | PS

M1 MacBook Pro

Roen Davis

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 12:46 am

Is FCP V2 still available?
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Marek2189

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 3:02 pm

MattMacar wrote:I have to go to AFter effects to do the most basic layer-based compositing crap that I don't want to learn the whole bowl of spaghetti that is Fusion for.

+1. I do lots of things in fusion that should be available in "edit". That's the only work around option In many cases. And I'm talking about simple things.

Steve Alexander

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 3:03 pm

It's one of the crazy things about Fusion transitions because of the pipeline between the edit page and the Fusion page. I played with this a bit and it really is impossible to work with without doing pre-renders or compound clips (which can then mess with alpha as noted by the OP).

The use of Fusion transitions is not 100% useful in this case. As for the other issues with regular transitions and alpha... my brain hurts.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve