Fairlight busses question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Creative110

Fairlight busses question

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 9:32 pm

I took the BM training course last year for the editor and we covered the Fairlight page too. We covered busses but not this exact situation. In the book they have each dialog on its own track but send all the dialog to one bus.

In order to apply EQ on a clip level does each clip have to be on its own track or is this where I would send that clip to its own bus or is it only possible to send the whole track to a bus?

Should I put the ADR clips on a separate track?
thanks

Tekkerue

Re: Fairlight busses question

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 12:38 am

Creative110 wrote:In order to apply EQ on a clip level does each clip have to be on its own track

No, you can apply EQ (and other effects) directly to each individual clip without having to apply effects via tracks/mixer. You can also combine clip based effects and track based effects. For example, you could have different EQ's on each clip and then have a single compressor on the entire track.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

Creative110

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 11:19 am

Okay thanks for the explanation. I thought effects could be clip based but after putting a HPF on an ADR clip it seemed to affect the other clips on that track. I'll try it again today.

btw I'm using 18, the latest beta.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 3:38 pm

I can't think of a way for a clip effect to operate on other clips, so the most likely explanation is that you applied a track effect.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Tekkerue

PostMon Jul 04, 2022 6:25 am

Creative110 wrote:Okay thanks for the explanation. I thought effects could be clip based but after putting a HPF on an ADR clip it seemed to affect the other clips on that track. I'll try it again today.

Is it possible you had multiple clips selected when you added the HPF?
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

Creative110

PostMon Jul 04, 2022 8:15 pm

Tekkerue wrote:
Creative110 wrote:Okay thanks for the explanation. I thought effects could be clip based but after putting a HPF on an ADR clip it seemed to affect the other clips on that track. I'll try it again today.

Is it possible you had multiple clips selected when you added the HPF?

Well it’s a bit embarrassing, I didn’t use the Inspector to apply the filters, I used the Mixer which applied them to the track. I went back and did it properly and all is well.

A couple of minor mistakes and I spent a lot of time righting the ship, but I won’t forget it again.
Thanks for the help.

Return to DaVinci Resolve