Cannot see/hear any media

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Bluekwyrm

Cannot see/hear any media

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 12:39 pm

Hi!

I've been trying to solve this for a couple of weeks now and I'm really close to just giving up, but a friend encouraged me to explain my problem here because y'all tend to be very nice :3

I installed Davinci resolve 17 a couple of months ago and have been able to use it for a while. Since a couple of weeks, however, it won't play media any more. I see something that looks most like a placeholder, with meta data that is correct, but I can't see the actual visual nor hear any audio, even though the soundwave-y thing in the audio track shows up as well.

So far, I've tried updating Davinci resolve, reinstalling, updating drivers for my graphics card, different monitors, putting graphic settings for resolve to high performance, new projects, old projects, new media, old media... Pretty much anything I could find online. But none of it has helped.

Does someone here have an idea how to solve this?

I'm currently running version 17.4.6 build 4 on Windows 10
Graphics card: radeon rx 580

Please let me know if you need any additional information!
Attachments
DR2.PNG
DR2.PNG (402.12 KiB) Viewed 725 times
DR1.PNG
DR1.PNG (334.63 KiB) Viewed 725 times

xunile

Re: Cannot see/hear any media

PostMon Jul 04, 2022 6:12 pm

Can you post a screenshot of your Preferences>Video and Audio I/O settings? What bitrate are your speakers set to in your PC settings? 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz ?
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Bluekwyrm

PostMon Jul 04, 2022 11:17 pm

xunile wrote:Can you post a screenshot of your Preferences>Video and Audio I/O settings?

Done! Should be attached to this comment :)

xunile wrote: What bitrate are your speakers set to in your PC settings? 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz ?

I cannot find this. It's got to be the standard since I won't have changed that, I think. Also, it has worked before and I know I didn't tweak any audio settings like that recently.
Attachments
DR3.PNG
DR3.PNG (79.22 KiB) Viewed 686 times

rick.lang

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 3:19 am

Your Audio is set to Use System Settings. What are the Windows system audio settings for output and can you demonstrate those are working for audio from other sources?
Rick Lang

xunile

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 4:44 am

Windows Updates will sometimes change certain system settings. Open your Sound Control Panel by right-clicking on your speaker icon in your system tray and click Open Settings. Then select your speaker from the list and click Properties. Then choose Advanced. It should be set to 48000 Hz.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 5:24 am

What specific codec are you trying to play back? There are codecs that only play in Resolve Studio, and a couple of codecs that don't play at all. What are your timeline settings?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Bluekwyrm

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 7:41 am

Thank you all for responding! I'm sorry, I feel like I've done a terrible job at explaining the issue. I cannot add a recording of the issue since the file would be too big, but I've uploaded it to YouTube:
(There is no audio to it!)

As you can see here, the media itself works just fine. The timeline has worked in the past as well and I've been able to place text onto it. But when I open the workspace now, there are no example images showing on the timeline. It does show the audio waves (on the audio track) and the meta data though. Upon pressing play, the audio seems to give a one-time output - even though I cannot hear a thing - and then dies down. The red line that indicates where in the timeline you are at also doesn't move.

xunile wrote:Windows Updates will sometimes change certain system settings. Open your Sound Control Panel by right-clicking on your speaker icon in your system tray and click Open Settings. Then select your speaker from the list and click Properties. Then choose Advanced. It should be set to 48000 Hz.

Got it! Thanks! The only audio output I have here is from my headphones and those are indeed set to 48000 Hz (see screenshot).

Marc Wielage wrote:What are your timeline settings?

Added a screenshot! Didn't change anything here since it worked before, but I have in the mean time reinstalled Resolve and all that, so I guess things may have changed? The settings that I know I set differently than standard are still good though!

I think the rest of the questions are answered in the recording
Attachments
DR5.png
Timeline settings
DR5.png (114.51 KiB) Viewed 562 times
DR4.PNG
Sound control panel > headphones > settings > advanced
DR4.PNG (21.52 KiB) Viewed 562 times

seaninja951

PostSat Jul 09, 2022 9:46 pm

I had this problem, and I just fixed it. I started by uninstalling Resolve, then I used DDU in safe mode (display driver uninstaller) to completely remove my graphics card driver. I then reinstalled my GPU with the latest stable driver from AMD, and reinstalled Resolve. One restart later, and everything almost worked like new. I ran into an issue where it would freeze on loading the Fairlight audio engine, but I was able to fix that by going into the device manager and disabling a virtual desktop monitor... whatever that was. I hope this helps.

Return to DaVinci Resolve