Subtitles do not all default to 'Use Track Style"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

apetrovic

Subtitles do not all default to 'Use Track Style"

PostThu Jul 21, 2022 7:38 pm

Prior to version 18, when subtitles were inserted into timeline, they would all be set by default to "Use Track Style"
Now in the official version 18 it is a hit and miss, the first caption is set to "Use Track Style' then the next 10 or so it is disabled, then again one would be set to track style, then again random number would be unchecked, etc.
Now I have to select all captions and check the "Use Track Style" manually to set them all together.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Subtitles do not all default to 'Use Track Style"

PostMon Jul 25, 2022 2:46 am

Hi Aleksander

If a caption has custom html formatting (e.g bold or italics), the track style is not followed.

Regards
Shrinivas

apetrovic

PostMon Jul 25, 2022 2:46 pm

I apologize, I did not explain it properly.
I import plain SRT files (no formatting) in the media pool, and then right click on the subtitle in media pool and select "Insert selected subtitle to timeline".

It used to be that all imported captions would be automatically set to "Use Track Style", but now in DR 18 it is random, with most of them being unchecked.

Thanks

floh79

PostMon Jul 25, 2022 3:37 pm

I can confirm this issue and I also don't use any formatting (just plain SRT without any format).

Best regards
Floh

apetrovic

PostTue Jul 26, 2022 8:52 pm

The issue exist in 18.0.1 as well.
Interesting thing is that this time, most of the captions are automatically set to Use Track Style. This is useless in practice as you still have to select them all and click on Use Track Style, but may be useful information for the developers to debug it.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 28, 2022 2:10 am

Hi

Could you include an example SRT file that you see showing this behavior?

Thanks for your report
Shrinivas

floh79

PostThu Jul 28, 2022 7:04 am

Sure, I'm almost sure this bug is related to https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=164608.

If the subtitle has a newline in SRT, then DVR think it's a styled subtitle and because of that we have a CPL issue (for autonewline which is about in other thread).

Here I attached the example and the bug is easily repoducible. (extension .srt is not allowed so I zipped it)

Code: Select all
01:00:01,041 --> 01:00:04,041
I say make this not track-style,
because I have the power!

01:00:05,041 --> 01:00:08,041
And use this with track-style because I said it so.

01:00:09,041 --> 01:00:12,041
Yadda yadda yadda! no Track-Style
Yadda yadda yaddatwoline!

01:00:13,041 --> 01:00:16,041
Yadda yadda yaddasingleline! Track-Style

I also found out, if we import SRT file with newline, and then export this to SRT. The SRT is broken. The newline which was in origin file is replaced by a weird caracter. See screenshot:
Davinci-SRT-Newline-Bug.png
Davinci-SRT-Newline-Bug.png (30.19 KiB) Viewed 3125 times

We can asume the imported SRT subtitle doesn't have clean newline but weird control character, something "L SEP" which leads to weird behaviour in DVR and caused this two bugs: Track-Style and Autonewline.

Best regards
Floh

PS: As a Reward because I brought the Bug alive: An ATEM Constellation 8K? :mrgreen:
Attachments
Subtitle-test2.zip
(882 Bytes) Downloaded 30 times

apetrovic

PostFri Jul 29, 2022 4:20 pm

While you are working on this fix, there is another thing I consider a bug. I don"t know if you are going to pick it up here or I should open a new topic.

While setting the subtitle track style, when Override Sizing is selected in the Background section, the height is reset to 0.
The initial value should remain the same as auto-determined, just like the Width does, and then the user can further customize it.

floh79

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 9:16 am

Tested with Version 18.0.2 BUILD 7 :cry:

Unfortunately it's not fixed yet (even if changelog says: "Addressed an issue with exporting multi-line subtitles.") :!:

Best regards
Floh

jhoepffner

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 12:21 pm

Hello,
Same problem for me, random style or not and I cannot even select all the subtitles and choose "Use track Style", it works only 20 by 20 subtitles.
Very annoying
W10 Ryzen7 3800X nVidia 3090 RAM 64 DVR-Fusion Studio 18.6.5 SSD 2To raid0 32To (HD) raid0 8To (SSD)
MSI G65 W10 / RAM 32 nVidia 1070 Intel Core i7-8750H DVR Studio 18.6.5
MBP 15" (2012) OS 10.14.6 RAM 16 nVidia 650M Intell i7 DVR Studio 17.4

floh79

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 2:05 pm

Version 18.0.3 doesn't fix this issue, unfortunately. Changelog doesn't mention about this issue.

nucelar

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 11:46 am

Subtitles in DVR must be totally redesigned IMO. Right now it is not useful neither for people importing externally authored subtitle files nor people creating subtitles inside DVR.

I have been working professionally with video and subtitles more than 15 years.

IMO DVR should not try to be a subtitle authoring solution. There are too many things to consider if you want to do it right. It should give the basic tools to manually add / edit some subtitles, though.

I would be happy if DVR is able to import subtitle files and they appear exactly as they were authored.

1. If you import a subtitle file into DVR (srt, xml...) DVR should absolutely not mess with the line breaks automatically. Subtitlers spend a good amount of time inside subtitling software fine-tuning subtitles, line breaks are positioned according to grammar structure.

2. Formatting. Professional subtitling (for feature films or other content) has very simple formatting. There is just "normal" and "italic" . Inside the rendering software (DVR), "normal" text can be of course adjusted in size, position, font, color, outline, shadow, etc.
Italic text should by design share all properties of "normal", except it uses the italic variant of the font.
If I change the appearance of the normal text, it should also change the appearnace of the italic.
I have never seen subtitles that use "bold" or any other style variants to highlight a particular subtitle.
Speaking of italics. A whole subtitle can be italic. One line of a two-line subtitle can be italic. And one word inside a line can be italic. All three cases should be suported.

floh79

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 8:21 pm

Hi Nucelar,

nucelar wrote:1. If you import a subtitle file into DVR (srt, xml...) DVR should absolutely not mess with the line breaks automatically. Subtitlers spend a good amount of time inside subtitling software fine-tuning subtitles, line breaks are positioned according to grammar structure.

I only can partially agree your opinion. I fully agree, that DVR is not a dedicated subtitle editor. But I wouldn't remove the auto-newline feature but keep the option so you can choose if you want use auto-newline or not.

I also work a lot with subtitle* but I have some smaller project for that the auto-newlines is ok and I just fix some subtitles (better newline position). For bigger project I import prepped subtitle so I don't use auto-newline.
*) I'm deaf. ;)

So a checkbox if auto-newline is enabled would be fine. Instead of checkbox you just could change the line length in project preference (just set insanely high numbers if you don't want use auto-newlines).

Actually, this thread is about the import-"Use Track Style"-bug. ;)

Best regards
Floh

floh79

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 1:46 pm

Just tested with Version 18.0.4: Not fixed yet and no mention about subtitles in Changelog.

apetrovic

PostFri Oct 21, 2022 2:25 pm

jhoepffner wrote:Hello,
Same problem for me, random style or not and I cannot even select all the subtitles and choose "Use track Style", it works only 20 by 20 subtitles.
Very annoying

How are you selecting them?

On Mac I do the following:
1. Select the subtitle track
2. Click on the first (or any) subtitle in the list on the right side of the screen
3. Press Cmnd + A
4. Click on the Use Track Style checkbox

It selects all of them

apetrovic

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 3:38 pm

Version 18.1 finally fixed the issue.

floh79

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 8:09 pm

Yay, I can confirm! :) Thank you for posting, Aleksandar.

bumshik

PostMon May 22, 2023 7:38 am

In resolve 18 every subtitle is default Use track style...if u want particular subtitle different settings then u need to check the customize caption option....otherwise u should uncheck the option....

Return to DaVinci Resolve