Preview Edit --- Play Around Current Selection

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jonlap

Preview Edit --- Play Around Current Selection

PostFri Jul 29, 2022 6:40 pm

Hi Newbie here - struggling to put the pieces together!

I'm trying to do some audio editing on the Fairlight page. I've marked the in and out points on the piece of audio I want to cut out.

However, when I go to Play Around/To - the indicator for Play Around Current Selection is not lit.

I've looked at the same marked section on the Edit Page. There, the indicator for Play Around Current Selection is lit and tells me to use the forward slash / key. However, when I press the key I do not get a preview of the cut.

Is there another way to preview an edit besides using the Play Around Current Selection? Or am I just not marking the section I want to cut out correctly?

thanks!

John Paines

Re: Preview Edit --- Play Around Current Selection

PostFri Jul 29, 2022 6:47 pm

On the Edit page, if you marked the selection with in/out points, then forward slash is not the correct command. You'd want alt-slash. Note that you can't "play around" an in/out selection -- since you've already defined it -- all you can do is play it. You'd "play around" a transition, a clip, etc.

There are other / combinations for other playback ranges. See the manual. I assume you'd want loop playback on as well.

jonlap

PostMon Aug 01, 2022 4:37 pm

Hi John - thanks for getting back.

I guess I didn't really communicate what I wanted to do.

I just want to define a small section to lift/cut out and then preview the edit without that section. In other programs it's called 'edit preview'. Maybe it's called that here as well but I haven't found it in the manual.

Any thoughts?

thanks!

Peter Cave

PostMon Aug 01, 2022 10:34 pm

You need to perform the edit to review the result.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Steve Alexander

PostTue Aug 02, 2022 12:55 am

jonlap wrote:Hi John - thanks for getting back.

I guess I didn't really communicate what I wanted to do.

I just want to define a small section to lift/cut out and then preview the edit without that section. In other programs it's called 'edit preview'. Maybe it's called that here as well but I haven't found it in the manual.

Any thoughts?

thanks!

There should be a way to preview around a cut, but I can't recall. Another solution is to use the option to return the cursor to the start after playback but I think the preview around a trim point should be possible. Anyone else know?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 03, 2022 2:01 pm

The only option available on Fairlight is Play In to Out.

You may want to do the editing on the Edit page, then do the mixing in Fairlight.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

jonlap

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 10:45 pm

Thanks Jim. But is there a "preview" function on the edit page?

Andy Mees

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 10:33 am

jonlap wrote:But is there a "preview" function on the edit page?
Jon, it's not entirely clear to me what you're asking for, but in the Edit Page you play around an edit point (or a selection) using the forward slash key [/]. There is no 'Preview Edit' function as Resolve does not know what edit you actually intend to perform until you perform it. Simply put, in the Edit Page, we make an edit, play around the edit, fine tune as needed ... and/or revert (Undo) if necessary.

That said, if you're asking for Fairlight Page advice rather than Edit Page advice, then you might want to attract the attention the forum's more advanced Fairlight experts by editing your original post's 'Subject:' header accordingly... eg change it to:
[Fairlight] Preview Edit -- Play Around Current Selection.

Steve Alexander

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 1:14 pm

I was thinking of the forward slash key in my earlier response but for some reason I couldn't remember it. It will back-up from an edit point and play through to just after the edit point so that you can preview the edit point. Thanks to Andy for reminding me.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

jonlap

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 11:40 pm

Thanks - I guess I'm just 'old school' coming from less advanced systems that have a preview function. I can see with the ease of making adjustments in Resolve there might not need to be a preview, per se.

DavidVogt

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 3:01 am

Another way to get the effect you want, is to make the cut, play around it. If you don't like it step back in history until the cut section is put back in.
Mac Studio ultra
Monterey 12.4
128 GB ram
2 TB SSD
48 TB HD disc storage, multiple RAIDS

jonlap

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 9:19 pm

Thanks David!

Return to DaVinci Resolve