Help: Media Management Trimmed Media

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ColinRieser

Help: Media Management Trimmed Media

PostMon Aug 01, 2022 10:43 pm

Hello!

I am having an issue trying to archive my finished Resolve Projects and thought y'all might hold the knowledge key that will help me unlock the treasure chest of answers!

What I'm trying to do:
Once I complete a project and it is all delivered to the client, I want to take that DRP (it currently sits around 1TB with all original raw media), and trim / consolidate that down to one archive folder using trimmed media with 24 frame handles. This way, if in a year the client wants us to revisit the project, we have everything in one place, and we just pop open the archived DRP, and it links nicely to the trimmed media (now at, say, 100GB, rather than 1TB).

What I've done:
Used media management window with the following settings:
- Selected the single timeline I'd like to export/archive
- Selected copy used media and trim keeping 24 frame handles
- Tried all other options checked and unchecked (consolidate multiple edit segments into one file & preserve hierarchy
- Then brought that .drt timeline file into a brand new project.

The issue I'm having:
When I bring that .drt timeline file into a new project, it shows most of my media as MEDIA OFFLINE in the playback window. It is weird though, because when I "Find in media pool" any of those offline files, the file plays back fine and is clearly online.

Any thoughts on the best way to achieve my goals of archiving a DRP with trimmed media? Any thoughts as to why I'm getting this weird Media Offline issue even though the media doesn't seem to be offline?

Thanks!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Help: Media Management Trimmed Media

PostTue Aug 02, 2022 1:44 am

When media managing, did you select, 'Relink to new files'?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

ColinRieser

PostTue Aug 02, 2022 5:19 pm

Hey Peter,

"Relink to new files" option is greyed out when I have the "Used media and trim keeping 24 frame handles" option selected and I am only selecting one timeline ( as opposed to the entire project).

ColinRieser

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 4:52 pm

Bumping this.

Any thoughts, folks?

Thank you!

Andy Mees

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 6:22 pm

As a test, Colin, create a copy of an original project, delete any timelines you don't want or need, then use the Media Management >> 'Entire Project' option, with the 'Used media and trim..' and 'Relink to new files' options checked. See if that produces the expected results or the same problem.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 10:44 pm

Some Media Management tips that work for the way I use Resolve:

1) limit your session to just the files actually used in the session (that is, make sure no unnecessary files are sitting in bins)

2) Render-in-Place all H.264, JPG, TIFF, and PNG graphics clips to ProRes or DNxHR so that now the clips have embedded timecode and (preferably) unique file names

3) for camera clips with embedded audio, my opinion is you're better off if you strip the sound out as a WAV file that lives in the session

4) be aware that Titles can be a bit dodgy and don't always survive the changeover with Media Management. (I would say the same thing with Fusion sequences, which I would render out and treat as a separate transcoded element).

The simpler you make your session, the better the potential for successful Media Management. The moment you have a filename clash or a timecode conflict, it can fail. If your file copying is failing for another reason, try Nikolai Waldman's Resolve Collect and I bet it'll get you at least 98% there without errors. His program has been a lifesaver for me over the last 6-7 years.

http://www.niwa.nu/resolve-collect/

Another possibility (which I haven't tried) is EditSpy for Windows:

http://edlspy.felixhuesken.de/
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve