DaVinci Resolve 18 not saving issue?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ulrich W.

Re: DaVinci Resolve 18 not saving issue?

PostWed May 31, 2023 10:06 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We have seen a few similar reports but trying to repo new cases is challenging.

Older versions of Edius for Windows had what I call a "flight data recorder", i.e.: In Windows Event Log they send about every action the user triggers, so after a crash or hang you can see what was done before.

Example:
EDIUS-FDR.PNG
Example for EDIUS' command logging (German Windows)
EDIUS-FDR.PNG (40.52 KiB) Viewed 898 times

GNU Emacs (an editor for nerds) also has a "view-lossage" command that will display the last commands entered, like this:
Code: Select all
<help-echo> <help-echo> M-x ;; execute-extended-command
 v              ;; self-insert-command
 i              ;; self-insert-command
 e              ;; self-insert-command
 w              ;; self-insert-command
 <tab>              ;; minibuffer-complete
 l              ;; self-insert-command
 <tab>              ;; minibuffer-complete
 <return>           ;; minibuffer-complete-and-exit

So my guess is that if Resolve would save the last commands in some ring buffer (another nerd phrase), it might be helpful to reproduce issues when that buffer can be dumped.

Unfortunately such excessive logging can have privacy issues...

maxflags

PostSat Jul 15, 2023 7:37 pm

It happens to me when I use Izotope RX Voice De-noise in "Adaptive mode".

Screenshot 2023-07-15 213042.png
Screenshot 2023-07-15 213042.png (48.25 KiB) Viewed 821 times

In this mode, the plugin constantly listens to the input and adjusts the thresholds. As soon as I switch "Adaptive mode" off, "Edited" disappears and I am able to save the session again.

Hopefully this helps.

Chris

Steve Alexander

PostSat Jul 15, 2023 9:19 pm

Nice catch, Chris.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

akyjoon

PostWed Aug 02, 2023 7:06 pm

So I'm using Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5 and this situation happened to me now. Yesterday I started a new project, did some basic stuffs on Edit and Fusion (merging, polygon masks, color corrector, brightness contrast nodes if I can remember correctly). I have live saving turned on and I'm sure I also pressed ctrl + s couple of times during work. Today I opened the project and everything's gone. All nodes in fusion vanished and there's only Fusion Composition clip in Edit page..

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 03, 2023 4:06 am

Hi Youngjoon

From the project manager, can you export the project (as a DRP file) and send us a shareable link?

Did you make other changes after reopening the project?

Lastly, can you add some info on the project and project library - if it was local, network based or from the Blackmagic cloud, if local, the file path associated, if the project had backups enabled etc?

Thanks
Shrinivas

akyjoon

PostThu Aug 03, 2023 4:23 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:From the project manager, can you export the project (as a DRP file) and send us a shareable link?

drp file: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/ea73cf ... e=sendgrid

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Did you make other changes after reopening the project?

I think I extended that fusion composition track in edit page

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Lastly, can you add some info on the project and project library - if it was local, network based or from the Blackmagic cloud, if local, the file path associated, if the project had backups enabled etc?

It was local project, Davinci is installed in C: (system drive), Davinci resolve media folder is in external hdd, project backups was not turned on, but Timeline backups are turned on.

This work in particular is not a big deal, because I managed to recreate the same quite quickly, but I'm worried about future bigger works..

Vertolition

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 3:21 pm

I've just experienced the same problem. I am unable to save after using automation on the fairlight page to create fader keyframes. I did the same thing this morning with no problem, but now I am suddenly unable to save my keyframe creation.

tyesamson

PostThu Jan 18, 2024 11:06 pm

I just experienced this issue for the first time but I'm still on 18.1.4 build 9 so am unsure if this has been solved in a later version yet?

I started to notice that any time I saved, the popup progress bar that usually flashes up briefly when saving was not appearing and the red 'Edited' badge next to the project name wasn't going away.

I exported the timeline as a DRT and then exited without saving. Luckily, the DRT contained all my unsaved changes so even though the changes were lost in the project I didn't actually lose any work. But it was a bit scary for a moment there!

Edit to add that I'm colour/picture finishing only and never touch audio or visit the Fairlight page.

iamjoshua

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 10:36 pm

I just upgraded from the free version to the latest studio version 18.6 on mac. I migrated all of my projects successfully. Then I created a new project, worked for about 5 hours, then exported an early draft. I tried to close the project, but I kept getting the dialog checking if I wanted to save first. I had been saving constantly, of course, so it was a bit surprising. I confirmed the save. The dialog window went away, but Resolve didn't close. I tried to close again through the project home window. Same dialog and lack of closing. I tried to "save as" to create a copy since clearly something was wrong. Nothing happened. Nothing I tried worked. I finally had to select not to save and Resolve did close. My project is nowhere. It was never saved, even when I was manually saving.

I completely lost the project and my day of work. What happened? What is going on? After over a year of loving the free version of Resolve this is my first experience with the paid studio version.

kuchesezik

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 5:26 pm

i can confirm this is still ongoing nearing 2nd quarter 2024 and has happened to me multiple times in the past two days. the first response here helped me: even though i am using only one timeline in my current project, i enabled timeline tabs, closed the active timeline and the software immediately ran the scheduled auto-save which had been postponed due to the bug, and also allowed me to manually save and quit the software without the save prompt.

the projects which i've had this issue with seem to be random, some using source footage from external drives, in some of them i haven't touched anything in the fairlight audio page, etc.

i am running 18.5.1B6 non-studio version on mac mini m1 16gb on macos 11.7.9 with all filepaths set to the local system ssd. this has also occurred to me on multiple occasions on the m1 macbook air 16gb. the only anomaly that i presume might contribute to this is letting the computer fall asleep or designating it to go in sleep mode without quitting davinci, although i cannot confirm this bug occurs immediately upon waking up the computer as i often have multiple applications running.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve