Offline Media on Render only - same icon?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

HurricaneImages

Offline Media on Render only - same icon?

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 10:22 pm

I'm having an infuriating problem. After returning to an older project for revisions, more than a dozen clips are playing normally in the timeline but I get an off-line media error when I try to render. It's a big project, but I think all of the problem files have an icon with a camera and a filmstrip together. I don't recognize that icon. I've tried:
1. Re-linking my media
2. Rendering in place
3. Moving the files to a new drive
4. Copying the timeline to a new project
5. Slowing the rendering all the way to 10%
6. Switching from CL Open to CUDA
7. Rendering just the problem clips
8. Decoding the h.265 both with and without NVIDIA hardware acceleration
And a few other things, but nothing resolves the issue.

If I drag one of the problem clips from my drive to another open project timeline, however, I can render it fine. It also does not have the camera/film icon. If I attempt to copy and paste my old timeline into the other working project, the problem goes with it.

I believe all of the problem clips are from the same camera, same day of shooting; though again, it only affects this timeline. The same clip in another timeline appears to work fine. These files are h.265, but so are all of my working clips. Many, but not all, of the clips have been re-timed. I think the clue is that icon, but I can't find info on it (see attached image).

The source files, cache, and destination of the final rendered file are all on different internal drives.

Resolve 18.0.1 Studio, Windows 10, AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x, ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Taichi, 64GB Ram, GTX 1070 Ti... blah de-blah, blah
Attachments
Cam Video Icon.JPG
Cam Video Icon.JPG (7.99 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Windows 10 Home, AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X, 64GB Ram, GTX 1070 Ti, DR 18.5

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Offline Media on Render only - same icon?

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 11:07 pm

That's a proxy media icon.

In the Resolve Playback menu, select the Proxy Handling menu, then select Prefer Camera Originals.

Does your media now go offline? If so, your original camera media is offline, and all you have is the proxy media.

When you render, it normally does not use proxy media, so you get the media offline error.

You can tell it to render using proxy media, in the Deliver page Advanced Settings area, by selecting Use Proxy Media.

If you want to use original camera media, you'll need to find it, and relink to it.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

HurricaneImages

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 12:02 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:That's a proxy media icon.

In the Resolve Playback menu, select the Proxy Handling menu, then select Prefer Camera Originals.

Does your media now go offline? If so, your original camera media is offline, and all you have is the proxy media.

When you render, it normally does not use proxy media, so you get the media offline error.

You can tell it to render using proxy media, in the Deliver page Advanced Settings area, by selecting Use Proxy Media.

If you want to use original camera media, you'll need to find it, and relink to it.

Thanks for your response, Dwaine. I did, actually, switch over to source media at one point and it's still on that setting. The files don't go offline (and I've relinked more times than I can remember). The "Bypass re-encode" box is checked. When I check "Use proxy media" for rendering I still get the error message prior to rendering. Also, the line above the timeline (and above the cache line and time/minute marks) is red- I think this is the proxy line? The drive that holds the cache and proxy has 115GB remaining, which I think should be enough.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 12:52 am

Sorry, I should have said to select Disable All Proxies in the Proxy Handling Menu.

Did you try that?

If the media with those icons doesn't go offline with that setting, then I'm not sure why the render would complain about media being offline.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

HurricaneImages

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 12:59 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Sorry, I should have said to select Disable All Proxies in the Proxy Handling Menu.

Did you try that?

If the media with those icons doesn't go offline with that setting, then I'm not sure why the render would complain about media being offline.

Funny you should ask. Because I tried that right after you mentioned the Proxies, and yup, and all the problem clips in the media bin went off-line. Though I'm not sure why that is, considering I've relinked so many times. I did move the source files between edits (and-- yikes-- might have deleted the actual proxies). At any rate, with yet another relink it seems to have found all but a couple of my files (a funky pre-render), and is rendering them smoothly. Thanks again for your help! Ian

Return to DaVinci Resolve