Brand New User: Resolve 18-- Import Media Offline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SteveKing360

Brand New User: Resolve 18-- Import Media Offline

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 7:35 pm

I am new to resolve. I have resolve 18. I am trying to begin a project, but all imported media offline.

Imac Intel i9 64 Gb Ram, Radeon Pro Vega 48 8gb -- OS=Big Sur, 11.6
Extenal SSD storage of Media and Exports
Downloaded Free version of Resolve and Installed 8/9/22
My Files are Sony FX3 4k 60fps, H.264, Slog-3

1) I have tried relinking the files ( Right Click on files>Relink Selected Clips... ( I select the folder with the clips, and press OPEN, and nothing changes.. )

2) I select the entire Bin with clips and use the Relink Button in the Master Media pool toolbar.... Dialog Box appears " Relink Media. Shows Folder ( FX3 ( my title) and it says that there are 0 Missing Clips. Disk Search does not work. Locate Button leads back to Storage Location on SSD, I press Open a new dialog box appears saying "Finding Matching Media..." and the dialog box goes away and my media is still offline.

3) Have watched several videos and read several articles. Some people with 4K 60fps have H.265 compression on Windows Machines, but I have H.264 on Mac.

Can anyone please help me get started?

AmeDSL

Re: Brand New User: Resolve 18-- Import Media Offline -

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 2:55 pm

Am also a Mac user but with Resolve Studio. Am not sure if you need studio version for this files, anyway on M1 Mac on 18.0.1 and Monterey 12.5 you can see random Media offline (h265, h264, Long GOP and even Intra frame) even if they are in the right place as you said, and funny things is at mouse over with those files…they appear online again and warning message gone. There is a bug, for sure with certain types of codecs. I wrote more then a week ago to BM customer service and after sending a tons of logs files, footage, cleaning install of DRS and so on, am still waiting for answer. But again, am not sure if you need studio version for certain types of files.

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 3:07 pm

Navigate to the folder with the media using the Media Storage panel on the Media page.

Can you see the clips OK?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

SteveKing360

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 4:36 pm

Jim,

I cannot see the media files at all... no matter when I point or select the files

Searching google last night, however, I discovered that the free version ( which is what I have) does NOT work with 10 bit files. My FX3 is shooting S Log, 10 bit, 4,2,2... so that appears to be the answer. I have purchased the BM speed editor keyboard with a license for Resolve... Hopefully that will get me over his hurdle.

Thanks for the help Jim and AmeDSL!

Steve

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 7:14 pm

In my experience, files that require the Studio version will still show up in the Media Storage panel, they will just show as offline.

Files that don't show up at all in Media Storage are files that even the Studio version can't handle.

So it's confusing when you say that the files are both offline in some contexts, and missing in others.

Which is it?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve