DaVinci Resolve 18 Crash when rendering RED Footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Benjamin Kratzin

DaVinci Resolve 18 Crash when rendering RED Footage

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 12:15 pm

Problem:
I'm trying to render a timeline with settings "Individual clips", "MXF OP1 A", "DNxHR", "DNxHR 444 12-bit" and it always seems to crash on RED Footage. The delivery had to be with the setting "Disable sizing and blanking output" so the footage will be rendered at original res. My playback is working with no issues.

My Error Logs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zpiwyU ... sp=sharing

What I've tried:
In the meantime completely set up a clean new windows install to avoid any driver conflicts or any other things that could potentially lead to this. Therefore also restarted resolve removed OFX Plugins and also played with different RED decode options from the settings menu. All made it worse. The best for playback is still "Use GPU for R3D": "Decompression and debayer".
I looked closer at the following lines in the logs.
DVIP Exception: Position DaVinciIP/Common/CUDAHelper.h:41
- API: CUDA
- API Error Code: cudaErrorUnknown (999)

System:
Davinci Resolve: 18.0.1 Build 3
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
128 GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
HD: m2SSD
Director / DP / VFX Supervisor | www.benjaminkratzin.com | vimeo.com/benjaminkratzin

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: DaVinci Resolve 18 Crash when rendering RED Footage

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 6:38 pm

Unfortunately, the logs you've provided show no errors. Perhaps they were generated after a clean install and before you did anything to create more errors.

If you can reproduce the render errors, and then generate another log and provide it, that could be helpful. Also a project export .drp of the project would be helpful.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

irfanintekhab

PostSun Aug 28, 2022 8:08 pm

I am also having this problem. Just scrubbing through the timeline everything seems to work fine. Then suddenly it becomes stuttery, black screens and flashes. And while rendering Davinci just closed itself after like 40% through my timeline. No errors nothing!

I noticed though that my GPU very frequently goes to 100% usage. Using nvidia 1080

I worked with proxy generated files. Exporting to h264. Yet don't know why this happens with red footage. Arri footage works nicely

irfanintekhab

PostMon Aug 29, 2022 8:45 am

Did anyone get a solution for this? I turned off GPU for red in the preferences and it works much better and didn't crash. However the rendering is extremely slow in that case.

Could this be a driver issue?

PaoloSanta

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 3:48 pm

Same problem since davinci 18 official version. We can render or export RED footage maximu 1/4. High resolution crash. We are now working with macbook, is a real mess....
Our pc config:
AMD Ryzen Threadripper (3ª generazione) 3970X
2x Nvidia RTX 3080 10 GB GDDR6X
Ram 128 GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance Kit Quad Channel
500 GB SSD Samsung 980 PRO (SO)
500 GB SSD Samsung 980 PRO (CACHE)
8 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID
10), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
Intel® 802.11ac WiFi
Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Edition 64 bit

mpetech

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 3:55 pm

What resolution are the RED footage?

irfanintekhab

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 4:54 pm

mpetech wrote:What resolution are the RED footage?

the ones i tested were 3k, 4k, 5k and 8k. samples from their website. When i turn off gpu for red in preferences it works much better but very slow rendering

mpetech

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 6:27 pm

irfanintekhab wrote:

the ones i tested were 3k, 4k, 5k and 8k. samples from their website. When i turn off gpu for red in preferences it works much better but very slow rendering

Your GPU probably does not have enough video RAM to process the footage.

It is recommended that you have about 12GB of VRAM when working with 4K. Higher for bigger frame sizes.

PaoloSanta

PostSun Sep 04, 2022 10:44 am

mpetech wrote:
irfanintekhab wrote:

Your GPU probably does not have enough video RAM to process the footage.

It is recommended that you have about 12GB of VRAM when working with 4K. Higher for bigger frame sizes.

Hi we used to work with 8k footage. We never had problems since years, the problems come with davinci 18 official version.
Our hardware with Windows 10
Scheda Madre Asrock TRX40 Creator
AMD Ryzen Threadripper (3ª generazione) 3970X
2x Nvidia RTX 3080 10 GB GDDR6X
Ram 128 GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance Kit Quad Channel
500 GB SSD Samsung 980 PRO (SO)
500 GB SSD Samsung 980 PRO (CACHE)

and we have the footage on a very spedd SSD internal raid (btw also with external hard drive same problems)

The issue is that is impossible working on project, we are using macbook pro for export that obviusly is really slower

Uli Plank

PostSun Sep 04, 2022 11:17 am

VRAM is not adding up and 10 GB is not enough for 6 or 8K.
A M1 Mac can handle it with its unified memory.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

PaoloSanta

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 9:43 am

Hi there.
Looks like strange, we used to work fine with this system until released 18.
We would like to know if there's a known change in the davinci software that could justify this issue and if its planned to fix it or if we need to change our graphic cards
thx

Robert Niessner

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 9:47 am

Paolo, you might have a read here about how to supply the necessary logs for troubleshooting:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

mehr94

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 10:06 am

I am also having issue with this DaVinci crashing, recently I updated my mac on BigSur because of DaVinci Resolve 18.0.3. I have Intel based mac machine with 64gb ram and dedicated GPU installed.
When I am opening RED footages it is fine but on other footages it is crashing after get load to 100%. I am sharing Logfile, please get me a solution if anyone have.

Here it is link of crashing report log file,
https://we.tl/t-rV98TM0udp

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 12:18 am

To help, we need a proper Resolve diagnostics log. Start Resolve after the crash, start a new project, select the Resolve Help menu, then select "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop" and put the file it creates on a file sharing site and provide a link to the file here. It's also usually helpful to have a Project Export .drp of the project that caused the crash, so if you can provide that as well, please do.
Dwaine Maggart

Raja Mamidi

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 6:31 am

I m also facing this issue. i am using RTX 3060 CARD. I attached the log report.

Thanks
Srini

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 8:29 pm

There was nothing attached. Generally these files are too large to be attached, and need to be put on a file sharing site, and you provide a link to the files. If you are a new forum user, you may be prevented from posting a URL. In that case, put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

Mark A

PostSat Oct 22, 2022 1:53 am

Resolve 18.04 (Windows 11) froze on me while rendering a braw clip on a particular timeline. I was reading the clip off a T5 connected to a fast USB port. That timeline had rendered fine several times before and other clips continued to do so.

But this time it froze with a message saying that it was waiting for a frame. I couldn't abort rendering or shut down the application. After several minutes I finally killed the Davinci Resolve process in the Task Manager. I tried restarting Resolve and repeated the process. Same result but no message. I tried restarting Windows 11 but it got stuck in a loop trying to restart. I had to shut off the machine and start all over again.

Finally I copied a backup clip to the T5 and tried again. This time it rendered normally. I suspect that the file got corrupted and Resolve did not handle it gracefully. I didn't know it could screw up the OS when it did.

I've had other crashes with Resolve 18.04 too. When I tried to move a custom Fusion title to the "settings" folder it crashed Resolve rather than freeze it. I've created a log file for the offending project and will send that on the next time I get a crash.

Mark A

PostSat Oct 22, 2022 8:09 pm

I had another rendering problem today when I put multiple timelines in the queue. Resolve lost the connection to the external SSD and all of them failed. I shut down Resolve and checked all the clips using the Blackmagic Raw Player. That worked fine and I was also able to use the Windows file explorer to traverse the SSD.

To see if I could make Resolve happy, I disconnected the SSD and reconnected it again. Then I opened Resolve and rendered each timeline, one at a time. This time it worked. I never had this problem with Resolve 17 and wonder if it's a bug in version 18?

Mark A

PostTue Oct 25, 2022 2:07 am

I suspect that I have a problem with the external SSD. I did the same renders with a new Samsung T7 and had no problems. Sorry to take up the bandwidth.

Uli Plank

PostTue Oct 25, 2022 4:28 am

Make sure it's not the cable, might be the cheaper issue.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Mark A

PostTue Oct 25, 2022 9:11 pm

The SSD needed a "trim" which is similar to defrag on a spin drive. Windows wouldn't run "trim" on an exFAT drive so I did a quick format to NTFS, ran trim and reformatted back to exFAT for use in my 6K Pro.

It seems to be working fine now. I wonder if I should post this under some descriptive title in case anyone else runs into this issue? Suggested title?

Mark A

PostFri Oct 28, 2022 3:58 pm

I celebrated too soon. Resolve lost contact with the drive again the next day but other apps didn't. I moved it to a different USB bus on my computer and it's able to render again. I'll just have to wait and see.

Return to DaVinci Resolve