Wrong Image in Resolve Thumbnails

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tsbrown86

Wrong Image in Resolve Thumbnails

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 4:18 pm

Using a Pre-Conform EDL to notch a sequence for grading the thumbnails for events at dissolve points are incorrect- previous shot. Is there any way to force the thumbnails to update from the midpoint of an event similar to the option on stills?
I have the same issue when I use the Scene cut detection and manually put in dissolves.

P.S. Have not jumped to V18, this is 17.4.6 on a Mac

Jim Simon

Re: Wrong Image in Resolve Thumbnails

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 3:28 pm

Select the clips>right click>Update All Thumbnails
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

tsbrown86

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 12:13 am

Rebuilding thumbnails does not work as it picks the same point of the clip. This is only an issue if you are going to grade a pre-conformed clip where scene detection is needed (or using a reconfirm EDL). The best solution would be to allow changing the thumbnail pickoff point to center of the clip.

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 3:20 pm

I'm not aware of any way to change where the thumbnail is pulled from. I think it's always just the first frame.

That said, I'm not seeing what you're reporting here. Adding a cut at a scene change and then a Dissolve, the Color page shows me the first frame of where the cut it, not any part of the previous clip from the Dissolve.

However, testing was not done using an EDL or any conforming, just imported clips.

Studio 18.0.1 on Windows 10.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve