Render Timeline Effects?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tom Roper

Render Timeline Effects?

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 4:43 pm

On the DeliverPage, Render Panel, Export Video, Codecs:

There is a checkbox option for "Render Timeline Effects." I searched the manual but couldn't find this mentioned.

When I rendered an x264 file with the box unchecked, my change clip speed effect did not come through on the output. If I checked the box it did.

So my question is, what other timeline effects are controlled by this checkbox?

Jim Simon

Re: Render Timeline Effects?

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 8:19 pm

In previous versions of Resolve, the Individual clips export option did not include things like speed changes and synced audio. (Not sure of the full list.)

That check box makes it possible.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Tom Roper

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 10:38 pm

That’s helpful. Yes render individual clips is what I was doing. Thanks Jim.

Jim Simon

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 1:41 pm

homer-approved.jpg
homer-approved.jpg (8.39 KiB) Viewed 5099 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Lucius Snow

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 6:25 pm

Jim Simon wrote:In previous versions of Resolve, the Individual clips export option did not include things like speed changes and synced audio. (Not sure of the full list.)

That check box makes it possible.

Hi all,

Is it possible to have the full list?

Thanks.

yanuolin

PostWed May 17, 2023 11:12 am

Hi, I am picking up this old thread because I also need to know which effects are considered as "timeline effects" that are affected by that checkbox. Is there a list? Or does it generally mean any effects that you apply in the edit page? But than what about things like stabilization that are linked between edit and color page?

The manual isn't very clear on what the checkbox means:

Thanks!
MacBook Pro (2021) M1 Max, 64 GB, Ventura 13.2.1
DaVinci Resolve 18.4

Jim Simon

PostWed May 17, 2023 12:53 pm

yanuolin wrote:does it generally mean any effects
I believe so.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Steve Alexander

PostWed May 17, 2023 1:23 pm

Because individual clips mode has historically been used for round-tripping to NLEs such as Avid Media Composer, effects from the color page (i.e., grading) are included without 'Include timeline effects' option. I'm not sure where Fusion effects come into this, though. Would be useful to test out a couple of scenarios.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

yanuolin

PostWed May 17, 2023 2:04 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Because individual clips mode has historically been used for round-tripping to NLEs such as Avid Media Composer, effects from the color page (i.e., grading) are included without 'Include timeline effects' option. I'm not sure where Fusion effects come into this, though. Would be useful to test out a couple of scenarios.

Absolutely, I am using the individual clip feature to create dailies for editorial to work with. However, I "cleaned up" the footage a bit beforehand using stabilization and some transforms like rotation and position. So I am interested to know if those adjustments will be carried over into my dailies. The project is about architecture, so I want the director and editor to see the 'straightened up' and stabilized version of the footage.

I will run some tests and report back.
MacBook Pro (2021) M1 Max, 64 GB, Ventura 13.2.1
DaVinci Resolve 18.4

Josh.Badert

PostSat Nov 04, 2023 1:44 pm

Hey Steve

Did you figure out anything?

I have to deliver about 80 clips to a client who wants to make the cut himself. But I put some basic colour correction and much needed stabilization on the clips.
Now I would like to export them as individual clips, but the stabilization doesn't seem to render, when I render "indiviual clips".

And I really don't want to have to render each clip individually.

Help is really appreciated

Thanks

yanuolin wrote:
Steve Alexander wrote:Because individual clips mode has historically been used for round-tripping to NLEs such as Avid Media Composer, effects from the color page (i.e., grading) are included without 'Include timeline effects' option. I'm not sure where Fusion effects come into this, though. Would be useful to test out a couple of scenarios.

Absolutely, I am using the individual clip feature to create dailies for editorial to work with. However, I "cleaned up" the footage a bit beforehand using stabilization and some transforms like rotation and position. So I am interested to know if those adjustments will be carried over into my dailies. The project is about architecture, so I want the director and editor to see the 'straightened up' and stabilized version of the footage.

I will run some tests and report back.

Steve Alexander

PostSat Nov 04, 2023 1:49 pm

Did you try using the 'Render timeline effects' option on the deliver page? No, I never did get around to testing how fusion effects are treated with this workflow.

Note that one shortcoming of this option is that your dailies will have time codes based on their location in the timeline, not based on the original source timecode. This may not matter to you as long as you don't intend to conform to the original source files (there may be another workaround, I'm not sure).
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Josh.Badert

PostSat Nov 04, 2023 3:39 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Did you try using the 'Render timeline effects' option on the deliver page? No, I never did get around to testing how fusion effects are treated with this workflow.

Note that one shortcoming of this option is that your dailies will have time codes based on their location in the timeline, not based on the original source timecode. This may not matter to you as long as you don't intend to conform to the original source files (there may be another workaround, I'm not sure).

Thank you for the quick reply Steve!

Yes, I've tried that option and it doesn't seem to work.

Guess, I have to just export them manually... true craftsmanship ;)

Thank you anyway!

Steve Alexander

PostSat Nov 04, 2023 4:34 pm

I just gave it a try with graded clips plus fusion clips and some of the graded clips were also stabilized and it seemed to work with individual clips carrying the grades, fusion effects, speed changes and stabilization.

The only trick I found is that I had to use the unique file names option to ensure that the same source file name didn't overwrite the clip, but otherwise it seemed to work as I would expect. Are you saying that your stabilized clips didn't appear or are you saying that none of your clips appeared with grading?
Time Traveller

Josh.Badert

PostSun Nov 05, 2023 7:48 am

Steve Alexander wrote:I just gave it a try with graded clips plus fusion clips and some of the graded clips were also stabilized and it seemed to work with individual clips carrying the grades, fusion effects, speed changes and stabilization.

The only trick I found is that I had to use the unique file names option to ensure that the same source file name didn't overwrite the clip, but otherwise it seemed to work as I would expect. Are you saying that your stabilized clips didn't appear or are you saying that none of your clips appeared with grading?

Thank you for taking the time!
I just tried again to understand better what's happening. I guess it's a cache problem or something.
I now stabilized the first clip again (on the edit page) to make sure it actually is stabilized. Then I rendered “individual clips” again. What I found out is, that the stabilization was rendered for the first clips but not for the other ones.
When I go look at them, the "stabilize" button is active again. And on the first one which I have just stabilized it's inactive. Which is the usual behaviour.
But I'm 100% sure that I have stabilized all the other ones yesterday. They also have the crosshair icon in the clip view.
Also yesterday, I stabilized all of them one after the other and once I arrived at the end and rendered them. I checked the first exported clip and it was not stabilized. The stabilization data wasn't even saved within the same session.

So somehow the stabilization data is not saved long enough. And also somehow Davinci is not triggered to stabilize them again once it has to render them(in case they were not stabilized anymore), which is kinda weird. Seems like a very basic behaviour that should happen.

Josh.Badert

PostSun Nov 05, 2023 8:04 am

Also I figured out that the color grading is applied, but not the stabilization.

Steve Alexander

PostSun Nov 05, 2023 12:10 pm

I only stabilized one clip in my test. I guess I could try stabilizing multiple clips but what you describe sounds very off. Are you batch stabilizing your clips or is this one at a time either on the edit page or the color page?

Edit - I tried adding several clips to a timeline, selected all and stabilized them and then performed an export as individual clips and they all appear to have exported as stabilized. In fact, when I batch stabilize the clips, I can't proceed until all clips have been stabilized so I don't really understand what you reported. Sorry.
Time Traveller

Josh.Badert

PostSun Nov 05, 2023 9:36 pm

Alright, I found the problem. It's actually kinda stupid. The proxies were enabled.

So I just unchecked the box and it worked. I still had to make sure every clip is stabilized (cached), but I found out that you can just select all the clips and hit "stabilize" on the edit page. Even though I'm not sure, if it applies the same stabilization settings to all the clips or just the settings that were set up for each individual clip.

Thank you guys for the help and sorry for the unnecessary confusion!

Return to DaVinci Resolve