Activation Question (Transferring Computers)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Johnbarnesthe3rd

Activation Question (Transferring Computers)

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 7:55 am

Hi guys,

I recently sold my iMac and bought a new Mac Studio. The old iMac had DaVinci installed with a license that came with my Pocket 4K. I made sure to wipe the computer’s contents and reset to factory default before selling. However, I didn’t think to deactivate Resolve, thinking that just erasing the iMacs contents would take care of that.

When I went to launch Resolve on my new Mac Studio, although it did activate, it gave me the message something along the lines of ‘you have no more activations left’ (I can’t remember exact wording).

So my question is: is there any way to reclaim or reset my other activation (assuming I get 2 per license?), so that I still have both? If so, how to go about this?

Thanks for any help!

Uli Plank

Re: Activation Question (Transferring Computers)

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 7:59 am

Normally, the third activation will deactivate the first two, even if you don't have access to the first machine any more. After that, you should still have both.
For other readers: I'd advise to deactivate if you can, it's the more reliable process. But as long as you don't loose your key code, you are on the safe side.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 10:05 am

Sounds like the new machine is the second.. so if you try to activate the third machine the originals will reset.
note.. do this only once per 2 weeks as otherwise the auto anti piracy checks will lock you out for a week.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Johnbarnesthe3rd

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 4:59 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Sounds like the new machine is the second.. so if you try to activate the third machine the originals will reset.
note.. do this only once per 2 weeks as otherwise the auto anti piracy checks will lock you out for a week.

Great, thank you! Good to know that I still have all activations and that if I activate on a third machine, it will still work by resetting the originals. Much appreciated.

Return to DaVinci Resolve