Davinci-Linux doubts (filesystem and virtual-Win stuff)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Adriano Castaldini

Davinci-Linux doubts (filesystem and virtual-Win stuff)

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 2:57 am

Hi guys,
As I wrote in some previous topic, I’m leaving Mac for an all new Davinci-dedicated PC (threadripper-pro + rtx3090, that would be the idea).
At first I thought at Windows because it’s (somehow) easy to use, there are a bunch of utilities for everything, drivers are available for everything, and also because I usually integrate my Davinci workflow with Photoshop and Topaz apps.
But lately I started to worry about virus/malware stuff, and about keeping clean/performative my OS, etc. It’s a lot of time daily spent on a fragile system...
So, why not Linux?
Linux is largely obscure for me at the moment, but it seems even faster than Windows, and no-virus (more or less).
Anyway, in my case, Linux would imply a more complicated setting than Windows.
Here some questions:

1. Which Linux? Blackmagic officially supports only CentOS Linux, but it will die on 2024. There are also CentOS Stream and Fedora Workstation (as RedHat based options). So, which distro do you recommend (and why)?

2. In order to run Photoshop and Topaz Video Enhance AI, I should use a Win virtual-machine with hardware acceleration (Qemu + KVM is a good option?) but since the size of the video files in/out Topaz VE AI, I think I would need a secondary NTFS-formatted SSD (dedicated to the Win VM). Do you think this Linux+WindowsVM system could be a good workflow (fast enough for Topaz?) or a Windows-only system would improve somehow the performance?

3. I have an internal HighPoint 4x NMVe drives PCIe RAID0 that I use as scratch/files disk. Should I format it in EXT4?

4. I have a couple of 8-bays thunderbolt-2 external RAID6 units (48TB each) by G-Speed (A Shuttle XL and a Studio XL). They currently are in HFS+ (and they are full of large RAW video files that I DON’T want to loose!) What should I do? I could leave the two tb2 RAIDs in HFS+ and read/write them installing hfsplus in Linux (is it a SAFE option, or could I corrupt something?) Second option: I could transfer all my files on a new RAID (thunderbolt again?) after having formatted it in… possibly OpenZFS? I’ve read wonderful things about ZFS for keeping my files SAFE (it’s my absolute priority!) but, under Linux, is OpenZFS actually the most reliable options for a thunderbolt RAID?

Thanks in advance for Your precious advice.

Jim Simon

Re: Davinci-Linux doubts (filesystem and virtual-Win stuff)

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 1:29 pm

Adriano Castaldini wrote:I started to worry about virus/malware stuff, and about keeping clean/performative my OS, etc. It’s a lot of time daily spent on a fragile system...
I don't believe those worries are justified.

Windows Security is sufficient.

Firefox with the proper settings/add-ons is best.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Adriano Castaldini

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 12:36 am

OK, I've read that in Linux, CUDA drivers don't work as well as in Windows (but 4y ago Puget guys said drivers work the same), you can't use Tangent Ripple (only Blackmagic original panels), you are very limited in audio-out options (despite the fact I'd have a Linux compatible FireWire audio-card).
G-Technology gives you support for their RAIDs only on Mac and Windows, not on Linux (no answer about a possible OpenZFS thunderbolt-2 RAID).
It's difficult not to see that the “world” wants to keep you away from Linux for some reason...

So - I'm curious - is some freelance here still using Davinci-Studio on Linux in his homestudio? And most important: WHY? I mean, which are nowadays the advantages on running Davinci on Linux (particularly when you work alone)?

Thanks in advance.

eikonoklastes

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 11:34 am

I recently started using Resolve on Linux on Pop OS, for the sole reason that Resolve still cannot scale its UI correctly on Windows on 4K monitors. On Linux I can specify the scale for Resolve's UI to properly match my desktop scaling of 150%

I have used it on a GTX 1080 Ti and an RTX 2070 Super (separate machines).

At work, I have been able to successfully read and write footage to a Synology NAS with no issues.

I haven't encountered any issues so far, but then again I haven't really pushed it yet with a particularly heavy project. Initial impressions are that it performs about as well as it does on Windows. Caching does seem to be more responsive on Linux. I do love me a correctly scaled UI though.

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 2:05 pm

It's quite easy to build a dual boot Windows/Linux and test Linux for a little while to see how well it compares and if it meets your needs. If security is your concern, just keep your Windows machine offline and make sure to scan all the drives that come in. It's as simple as that.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Lucius Snow

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 4:43 pm

Adriano Castaldini wrote:Hi guys,
As I wrote in some previous topic, I’m leaving Mac for an all new Davinci-dedicated PC (threadripper-pro + rtx3090, that would be the idea).
At first I thought at Windows because it’s (somehow) easy to use, there are a bunch of utilities for everything, drivers are available for everything, and also because I usually integrate my Davinci workflow with Photoshop and Topaz apps.
But lately I started to worry about virus/malware stuff, and about keeping clean/performative my OS, etc. It’s a lot of time daily spent on a fragile system...
So, why not Linux?
Linux is largely obscure for me at the moment, but it seems even faster than Windows, and no-virus (more or less).
Anyway, in my case, Linux would imply a more complicated setting than Windows.
Here some questions:

1. Which Linux? Blackmagic officially supports only CentOS Linux, but it will die on 2024. There are also CentOS Stream and Fedora Workstation (as RedHat based options). So, which distro do you recommend (and why)?

I had Centos 8.3 and encountered random freezes after a few months. We never found the reasons despite Dwaine's help from the BMD support. Later (and now), I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. There are still some issues (already there with CentOS):

- Always keep your O.S. and keyboard mapping in en-US configuration when using DaVinci. Otherwise your projects might be corrupted! DaVinci never fixed that...

- Another bug is about launching DaVinci. It may not responding. So you have to kill the process and relaunch it. I even made a script put in my favorites shortcuts because it occurs very often. DaVinci never fixed that either. I'm not the only one to complain about it.

Except that, it's stable and fast.

2. In order to run Photoshop and Topaz Video Enhance AI, I should use a Win virtual-machine with hardware acceleration (Qemu + KVM is a good option?) but since the size of the video files in/out Topaz VE AI, I think I would need a secondary NTFS-formatted SSD (dedicated to the Win VM). Do you think this Linux+WindowsVM system could be a good workflow (fast enough for Topaz?) or a Windows-only system would improve somehow the performance?

I don't bother with a VM and simply use a dual boot with Windows. Topaz won't run in Linux, I think, but Neat will.

3. I have an internal HighPoint 4x NMVe drives PCIe RAID0 that I use as scratch/files disk. Should I format it in EXT4?

4. I have a couple of 8-bays thunderbolt-2 external RAID6 units (48TB each) by G-Speed (A Shuttle XL and a Studio XL). They currently are in HFS+ (and they are full of large RAW video files that I DON’T want to loose!) What should I do? I could leave the two tb2 RAIDs in HFS+ and read/write them installing hfsplus in Linux (is it a SAFE option, or could I corrupt something?) Second option: I could transfer all my files on a new RAID (thunderbolt again?) after having formatted it in… possibly OpenZFS? I’ve read wonderful things about ZFS for keeping my files SAFE (it’s my absolute priority!) but, under Linux, is OpenZFS actually the most reliable options for a thunderbolt RAID?

Well, first check if your RAID arraid needs a driver on Linux to be mounted, and then check the compatibility with the Linux kernel you would use. I'd format the RAID array in NTFS to allow native reading on Windows and Mac. I suggest you to buy the NTFS/HFS+ software for Linux by Paragon. They have a great suport by the way.

So - I'm curious - is some freelance here still using Davinci-Studio on Linux in his homestudio? And most important: WHY? I mean, which are nowadays the advantages on running Davinci on Linux (particularly when you work alone)?

Myself. Why to bother with Linux? Simple answer: ProRes support for exports. And then you have no hardware restriction like Mac. You can use the fatest CPU (Threadripper) and GPU (RTX 3090, 4090 soon) on the market.

Gordonjcp

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 5:20 pm

I use Resolve on Linux because I can't justify spending that sort of money on a Mac, and I don't want to have to learn a whole new operating system just to use one program that some people reckon works better in Windows.

I recommend running Ubuntu 22.04 and then running Resolve in Docker, using this here:

https://github.com/fat-tire/resolve/

A neat thing with running it in docker is that the entire install is self-contained, so you can run different versions side-by-side without reinstalling. Running 17.4, want to try 18.0.1, don't want to risk blowing up your work machine? Spin up another Docker container and run it in that! You can't run both versions at the same time though, maybe something could be made to work if you had dual graphics cards. Hmm <eyes spare GT1030 lying on the bench>...

This also means that you've not just got a database per set of projects, you can have an entire container ecosystem per set of projects - you could make it so that only the files relating to $this_particular_job are visible, no matter what, because only that project directory is mounted in the container.

Getting back on topic, it costs absolutely nothing except a bit of time to try it out. If it doesn't work, well, now you know one more thing that doesn't work.

Adriano Castaldini

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 1:03 am

Thanks all for your replies.
eikonoklastes wrote:I recently started using Resolve on Linux on Pop OS, for the sole reason that Resolve still cannot scale its UI correctly on Windows on 4K monitors.
I didn't know that...
On Linux I can specify the scale for Resolve's UI to properly match my desktop scaling of 150%
On any Linux, or only on Pop OS?
I have been able to successfully read and write footage to a Synology NAS with no issues.
Which FileSystem in that NAS?
Lucius Snow wrote:I don't bother with a VM and simply use a dual boot with Windows. Topaz won't run in Linux, I think, but Neat will.
Well, many times I'd need to have Davinci and Photoshop both open on the desktop, that's the reason I thought to Photoshop running on a Win-VM.
First check if your RAID arraid needs a driver on Linux to be mounted, and then check the compatibility with the Linux kernel you would use.
Unfortunately, G-Technology (my current RAIDs) says they don't support any Linux...
I'd format the RAID array in NTFS to allow native reading on Windows and Mac.
Actually, to keep my files “safe” on the ext. RAID/NAS, I'd format it ZFS (I'd go for a new QNAP), so that only Linux can directly access.
Why to bother with Linux? Simple answer: ProRes support for exports.
Why is Prores so important? I have been a Mac-only user since 2004, but I can't actually understand why everyone loves Prores so much. On the other hand, the lack of DNxHR for AMD processors under Linux is a strong point for Windows IMO.

Anyway, I have a green dongle for Davinci Studio. I've read somewhere that Linux needs an orange dongle... Is that right? Differences?

Thanks in advance.

Lucius Snow

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 10:10 am

Adriano Castaldini wrote:Why is Prores so important? I have been a Mac-only user since 2004, but I can't actually understand why everyone loves Prores so much. On the other hand, the lack of DNxHR for AMD processors under Linux is a strong point for Windows IMO.

Anyway, I have a green dongle for Davinci Studio. I've read somewhere that Linux needs an orange dongle... Is that right? Differences?

Most of my clients ask master deliveries in ProRes. Yes, you need the orange dongle.

Adriano Castaldini

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 10:20 am

Lucius Snow wrote:You need the orange dongle.
Where/how can I purchase it? (I can't find it on Blackmagic website...)

Dieter Scheel

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 10:35 am

Jim Simon wrote:I don't believe those worries are justified.

Yes, they are.
Windows Security is sufficient.

It is not. There are daily reports of malicious software attacking Windows. Not to mention Ransomware and other risks And on top of that you will get "official" Windows updates rendering your system "kaputt". With Windows you have to search for application updates manually - in Linux you update your system and application software with one button press. You rarely have to search and update manually by downloading packages.
Firefox with the proper settings/add-ons is best.

In my eyes Firefox is the worst, unsecure and most-bloated browser of it all. I use Vivaldi instead. I've never regretted that.

I trashed my Windows installations a few years ago and tried Ubuntu instead. I wasn't impressed. So I looked into Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop environment and stayed with it until today. I never regretted that too. My Linux boxes perform very well with Nvidia drivers and CUDA - even better than in Windows 10 or 11. Even Windows A+ games perform better and more stable in Linux (with Proton) than in Windows itself - to my surprise ( I sometimes enjoy a couple of minutes with GTA V, Dying Light or Doom Eternal on my Linux PC).

Resolve Studio performs well and rock solid. I can do my 3D work with Blender and designing my 3D-printed objects with FreeCAD. Handbrake (ffmpeg) does my video transcoding work and Bitwig is my main audio software. There is no way (and no reason) I will go back to Windows.

But to be honest - you yourself must choose the OS that fits best for the work you are doing.
Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 32 GB | i7 | RTX2070 8 GB (535.161.07) | 2 TB SSD | 48 TB NAS
Lenovo Legion | Resolve Studio 18.6 | Linux Mint 21.3 'Virginia' | 16 GB | i5 | GTX1650 4 GB (535.161.07) | 1.25 TB SSD

Lucius Snow

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 10:49 am

Adriano Castaldini wrote:
Lucius Snow wrote:You need the orange dongle.
Where/how can I purchase it? (I can't find it on Blackmagic website...)

It's not sold separately. You need to find it on eBay. Pretty rare to find...

Adriano Castaldini

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 11:00 am

Lucius Snow wrote:It's not sold separately. You need to find it on eBay. Pretty rare to find...
AHAHAH... Really? :) That's incredible. «Not sold separately»... from what? From the 30K $ panel??? So the used orange-dongle at 6K € on eBay was not a joke? AHAHAH... bye bye Linux ;)

Lucius Snow

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 11:09 am

Lucius Snow wrote:It's not sold separately. You need to find it on eBay. Pretty rare to find...
AHAHAH... Really? :) That's incredible. «Not sold separately»... from what? From the 30K $ panel???

That's it!

So the used orange-dongle at 6K € on eBay was not a joke? AHAHAH... bye bye Linux ;)

I paid mine $1500.

Adriano Castaldini

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 11:31 am

Lucius Snow wrote:I paid mine $1500.
Sorry Lucius, but it's too fun ;) You wrote that on Linux «you have no hardware restriction like Mac» (that's right!) but you have to pay a couple of grands for a dongle...
Well - seriously - this detail helped me to make a decision about the OS.
As I wrote before, it's difficult not to see that the “world” wants to keep you away from Linux...

roger.magnusson

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 11:38 am

You only need the Linux dongle if you want to render ProRes. If you don't need to render ProRes you can use any Resolve or Fusion dongle to run DaVinci Resolve Studio on Linux (or an activation key).

Adriano Castaldini

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 11:44 am

roger.magnusson wrote:You only need the Linux dongle if you want to render ProRes. If you don't need to render ProRes you can use any Resolve or Fusion dongle on Linux (or an activation key).
Is it really the ONLY “plus” that the orange dongle offers? You can confirm that the green dongle activates the Studio version even on Linux? Well... bye bye Prores! No problem for me.
Many thanks Roger, it's the first good news of the day ;)

roger.magnusson

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 11:49 am

Yes, that's the only difference. When I boot into my Linux install I use a normal Fusion dongle to run DaVinci Resolve Studio.

Lucius Snow

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 11:50 am

Lucius Snow wrote:I paid mine $1500.
Sorry Lucius, but it's too fun ;) You wrote that on Linux «you have no hardware restriction like Mac» (that's right!) but you have to pay a couple of grands for a dongle.

That's two different issues. As long as I can pay to remove these restrictions, I'm fine. However, the lack of nVidia support on Mac is definitely a 'no-way'. I use 30+ softwares for postproduction, mostly on Windows. Some of them require CUDA.

I still have a Hackintosh with an old Intel Xeon and a Radeon VII to use a few softwares which exist only on Mac. It allows me to run DaVinci on OS X also if necessary.

As a geek, I'd never pay any Mac hardware in my life. That's just a golden prison for lazy people with absolutely no hardware upgrade.

roger.magnusson wrote:You only need the Linux dongle if you want to render ProRes. If you don't need to render ProRes you can use any Resolve or Fusion dongle on Linux (or an activation key).
Is it really the ONLY “plus”

Absolutely.

Adriano Castaldini

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 1:50 pm

Lucius Snow wrote:I use 30+ softwares for postproduction, mostly on Windows.
So, you are on Linux not simply to avoid Windows. In fact Windows is in your workflow. [BTW how do you handle the safety problem? Some antivirus/malware advice?] It's peculiar: since you are often on Windows it would be logical having the whole workflow on the same OS. Instead, you prefer having Davinci on a different OS... Is it just for exporting Prores?

Lucius Snow

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 3:00 pm

Lucius Snow wrote:I use 30+ softwares for postproduction, mostly on Windows.
So, you are on Linux not simply to avoid Windows. In fact Windows is in your workflow. [BTW how do you handle the safety problem? Some antivirus/malware advice?] It's peculiar: since you are often on Windows it would be logical having the whole workflow on the same OS. Instead, you prefer having Davinci on a different OS... Is it just for exporting Prores?

Yes, I use Windows 90% of the time. No trouble at all since I've reconfigured completely Windows from the kernel inside the installation itself.

Yes, Linux choice is for ProRes export without Mac hardware restrictions: 64 cores CPU, RTX3090, U.2 SSDs. I know DNxHR give similar results but the clients want ProRes codec. By the way, I rent my color grading workstation and it's better to give a separate O.S. that won't be altered by people. I would never do this on Windows.

Adriano Castaldini

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 1:02 am

Lucius Snow wrote:I've reconfigured completely Windows from the kernel inside the installation itself.
WOW! Well, it would be widely appreciated if there was a guide/tutorial about! Some advice for a good read/watch?

RCModelReviews

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 2:35 am

I use Linux for everything *but* Resolve.

Why?

Because the distro of Linux I prefer is Mint and although I've read that some folk have had success getting Resolve running under this distro, I also see that others have had issues.

So I have Resolve on a stand-alone machine that is only used for video editing and compositing. Nothing else runs on that machine and it is connected to my network only "as and when required". This effectively provides the highest level of protection from malware, ransomware and other nasties.

My other computer have been running Linux Mint for many years and are uber-reliable.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Adriano Castaldini

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 4:05 am

Lucius Snow wrote:Always keep your O.S. and keyboard mapping in en-US configuration when using DaVinci. Otherwise your projects might be corrupted! DaVinci never fixed that.
Is that true only when you use the orange-dongle, or also when you use the green-dongle?

Lucius Snow

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 9:31 am

Lucius Snow wrote:Always keep your O.S. and keyboard mapping in en-US configuration when using DaVinci. Otherwise your projects might be corrupted! DaVinci never fixed that.
Is that true only when you use the orange-dongle, or also when you use the green-dongle?

No, it has nothing to do with the dongle. Check this: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878&start=600#p367004 and this: viewtopic.php?p=597534#p597436

EDIT: Original issue posted: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878&start=550#p367004

WOW! Well, it would be widely appreciated if there was a guide/tutorial about! Some advice for a good read/watch?

You can start by nLite: https://www.ntlite.com/

And then, explore this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/
Last edited by Lucius Snow on Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adriano Castaldini

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 9:53 am

Lucius Snow wrote:You can start by nLite: https://www.ntlite.com/
And then, explore this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/
Thanks you, sir ;)

Gordonjcp

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 1:25 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:I use Linux for everything *but* Resolve.

Why?

Because the distro of Linux I prefer is Mint and although I've read that some folk have had success getting Resolve running under this distro, I also see that others have had issues.

It works as well as it does in any other distro. Again, I strongly recommend running it in a Docker container, because then you can switch versions easily, isolate it from the network, isolate it from any parts of the filesystem you don't want touched, and so on.

I don't have a Mac to try it on, and I have only seen it running on Windows a couple of times where it seems to need frankly insane amounts of love to keep working properly.

Try it out. It'll cost you nothing but a bit of time. Pick a rainy horrible weekend afternoon, and take a crack at it. Come back and let us know how you got on.

Return to DaVinci Resolve