Some Magic Mask stroke doesn't always seem to hold on.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Stephen Buckley

Some Magic Mask stroke doesn't always seem to hold on.

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 12:00 am

First off the Magic Mask is amazing when it works as expected. Truly is magic.

SETUP: The background is a forest of trees (busy and in focus), and a slo-motion dancer in the foreground (for the most part reddish except for the black hair which I could see getting lost in the trees). I don't even care about the black in the image.

That being said, the 'trouble strokes', I seemingly have to reapply EVERY frame just to get the desired mask. It seems as if the stroke effect works for one frame and then no longer has an effect. It is tedious, albeit not as tedious as before with a complete manual roto.

ALSO, I seem to remember in an earlier version of DR, seeing the stroke move along each frame, is this no longer a thing?

Anyways, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Davinci Resolve Studio 18 - Windows 10 Pro - DELL 7910 Intel Xeon E5v3 @ 2.60GHz 12-core Tower Workstation with 96GB ram - GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 TI - 1300w PSU

Return to DaVinci Resolve