Replacing video with different vid of same name bugs audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

CorvusVeis

Replacing video with different vid of same name bugs audio

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 3:14 am

I just encountered a strange bug that I believe didn't exist previously. Version info at bottom. Step-by-step recreation:

In the Edit tab, I drag an MP4 from my File Explorer into the Media pool, theoretically called name-1.mp4. Then I decide to replace the file, so I click on name-1.mp4 in the same Media pool, press Delete on my kb, delete any existing references on my timeline, delete the file from File Explorer, then repeating the same process I drag over a different file with the same name name-1.mp4. What happens is the MP4 has the new video but has the audio from the previously deleted name-1.mp4 that I deleted from Davinci and from my File Explorer (so a cache issue). When I open the MP4 in VLC, the audio is the new one as expected, so it's not the file. When I preview it in Davinci and put it in the timeline, same result -- audio is not the new name-1.mp4 audio but the old name-1.mp4 audio.

Next I deleted name-1.mp4 from Davinci using the same process except I didn't delete the file from File Explorer. Then I renamed name-1.mp4 in my File Explorer to name-2.mp4 and dragged it into Davinci. Same file, nothing changed whatsoever. Now the video AND audio is correct and not using some deleted old audio of a different video.

I checked the FAQ for any information on bug reporting but there's none from searching, and I guess not any real bug tracking which is weird, so here's basic info.
Davinci resolve 18.0.1 build 3.
Help > Create Diagnostic Logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qwcwBJ ... sp=sharing

Uli Plank

Re: Replacing video with different vid of same name bugs aud

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 7:10 am

Try to clear your cache.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 3:10 pm

For now, new files should always get new names.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 3:23 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Ideally, new files should always get new names.

Ideally reloading a media should clear all related cache.
I do stuff

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 3:27 pm

Agreed. Original idea updated.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

CorvusVeis

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 10:14 pm

I understand I can get around this with clearing cache and using new names which I mentioned in my post, but the point of this is to bring this bug to light so it can get a fix. Obviously I shouldn't have to do these workarounds, and it's a problem that people may not even realize so the incorrect audio is used in a project without notice. Hoping someone from Black Magic is taking a look :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve