Resolve Superscale vs Topaz Video Enhance AI

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Frank Glencairn

Resolve Superscale vs Topaz Video Enhance AI

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 6:55 am

Today I did some 4K up scaling tests.

The Material I used was an old Trailer (MP4 720p) from the film “In Memoriam” that I shot 15 years ago on a Sony FS100.

I up scaled the material to 4K – first in Topaz Video Enhance AI, and than in Resolve with Superscale and an additional node for a bit of sharpening.

I was pretty much surprised, that at the end, the visual difference is nothing to write home about, but the render times are way different – like in more than 800% different.

In a nut shell: IMHO – doing it in Topaz is not really worth the wait – your mileage may vary though, depending on your material and expectations.

To be honest, even the difference between Superscale and the normal (Lanczos) scaling in Resolve is way less than I expected. If you really have a need for speed, Lanczos is probably doing the trick in most cases.

I was a bit disappointed though, cause I really wanted the Topaz result somehow reflecting the sooomuchloooooonger render times, but actually it barely does.

There are some fringe cases – like trees and foliage for example – where it does a bit of a better job than Superscale, but than – with more tweaking in Resolve, I probably could come dammed close. Topaz does definitely a better job in de-banding/de-posterizing compression artefacts though.

And yeah, if you zoom in 800% on a still frame, you can probably find some more, but that’s not the point of up-scaling.

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Uli Plank

Re: Resolve Superscale vs Topaz Video Enhance AI

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 7:17 am

That pretty much reflects my experiences and I did quite a bit of tuning. Well, depending on hardware, speed of VEAI has improved quite a bit.
From my tests, I’d say it does visibly better with natural textures, but sometimes it looks downright ugly with faces.
It does better with de-interlacing, even with DR switched to the neural version.

In general, I’d always check first if either method with its rendering times is justified. Good UHD TVs do a pretty good job upscaling these days, some even claim to use AI.
De-interlacing, not so much.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

ZRGARDNE

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 12:56 pm

I used Topaz for stills and could see it as better than just upscale in LR. Not used it on video

I use the Davinchi Superscale on my gopro footage, it only does 2.7k. It still looks like crappy gopro footage after :lol:

Jim Simon

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 3:58 pm

There is a slight advantage with Topaz in the results, but for me...not enough to justify the cost in both dollars and time.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

AnthonyReno

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:03 am

Thanks for posting about this. I was seriously considering picking this up. After seeing the differences...honestly, I think DR does a better job. I spotted some weird artifacts from the Topaz render that the DR superscale rendered nicely. Maybe the DR superscale wasn't as sharp, but it looked less noisy to me overall.
DR & F Studio v18.1.1,Win11Pro, i9-13900K, 128GB RAM
GPUs:Intel UHD 770 & RTX 3090ti
Speed Editor, Pen:Huion Inspiroy Dial 2 & XPPen Artist 13.3 Pro, Elecom HUGE Trackball

Marc Wielage

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:05 am

If you add a tiny (very small) amount of OFX Sharpen Edges, it also can help in some situations.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:30 am

The only function I found substantially better is de-interlacing. And it's fast (compared to the rest).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve